Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyres Conundrum

Cheburator

Well, you do one thing, that leads to another and then I am in quandary...

I bought a mint set of genuine 996.1 GT3 wheels on eBay - the correct 8 and 10 widths as I figured that they will not get cheaper or more readily available. Then I thought about buying some slicks for track days... As I was looking for slicks I managed to score a brand new set of Yoko A048 in Medium/Hard 235/40/18 and 295/30/18 for £590 delivered. Having raced on AO48s, I am chuffed to bits.

Now then, my current rears - R888 are very close to expiring. The fronts however are still with 3.5mm. The question is - do I buy the last set of R888 in 295/30/18 in the country or just order a set of Yoko AD08R in 235/40/18 and 295/30/18.

How do the Yokos compare the R888? Bear in mind, I have a brand new set of A048s for track, so the Yokos will be morning blat/Euro/Wales hoons tyres.

And to truly throw a cat amongst the pigeons - a mate suggested to fit the A048s on to my LMs and fit the Gt3 wheels in Federal RSR 225/40/18 and 285/35/18 as it came out of the factory for some old school trills...

Arghhh, my head!!!!

I'd bin the Toyos personally. Back in the day, people used to run them because they were decent enough and cheap. Then they got less cheap, and there has been about 7 years of tyre development since then...

Also - I always change tyres 4 at a time to normalise heat cycles anyway. But that may just be me. [Footnote - if not using them on track, I'd always go for road rubber rather than something like an R888 anyway].

Try and flog the fronts for a slight gain. The federals get some ok reports in the m3 world but they dont stack up as a track tyre for outright grips vs AD's or Cup etc. They are great value though it depends what you want them for.

Itd get some pilot sport 4 for the road blats. Cracking tyre (on my golf gti...) and you dont want the ultimate grip rubber on the road anyway, no fun..

Good, the consensus seems so far to ditch the 888. Pilot Sports 4s are no go - Michelin don't make them in 285 or 295 width in 18" diameter :dont know: Trouble is - the car is too focused for pure road rubber... Keep them coming (suggestions) and thanks in advance....

Cheburator said:
Good, the consensus seems so far to ditch the 888. Pilot Sports 4s are no go - Michelin don't make them in 285 or 295 width in 18" diameter :dont know: Trouble is - the car is too focused for pure road rubber... Keep them coming (suggestions) and thanks in advance....

IMHO. "Road Rubber" is good rubber, for the road. "Track rubber" is good rubber for the track. A gt3 on mich super sports (which will become PS4 in Porsche sizes in due course and are "road rubber") will lap spa very nicely indeed, they wont last the day though. Track rubber on the road is a waste of resources, you wont get close to the heat needed to get the same grip. Sure you will go fast for a bit but on a bumpy road surface will you get those track tyres into their window? Hence why road rubber is good for the road. If you have the choice (two sets of wheels) then you could optimise for both.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back