Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

997.2 GT3 Track Car

bryce

Hypothetical scenario... A GT3 that will see more track miles than road miles. In fact the only road miles being to ED's for fuel and Adenau for lunch. A dedicated Ringtool if you like.

I'm thinking:

Full Clubsport cage with harnesses
CAE shifter
Cup wheel
Aggro geometry
Sticky tyres - Trofeo R?
Uprated pads
Race brake fluid

What would you do?

Dump the PASM and substitute with some dedicated Passive dampers. The new Toyo 888R's are supposed to be quite useful.

Full cage only if you want to drive with a helmet at all times. :)

Here is what I've done:

1. 5 lug conversion. OZ Ultraleggera HLT. Apex Bullet Nose race studs.
2. Alcon discs with PFC08 pads (perfection!)
3. ATEC brake lines
4. 2kg knockback springs
5. Endless RF650 brake fluid
6. 4.0 clutch and pressure plate
7. LSD rebuild with cup plates
8. Geo - 3 front and 2.5 rear camber
9. MPSC2

I was thinking the same, you could pick up a former race car. It'll likely look crap, smell bad, and so on, but it'll come with seats, cage, harnesses, and a whole stack of rims and tyres and spares and so on. In fact, I was thinking about doing this with an old friend, but circumstances intervened. We were not looking for a road-registered car, so we wouldn't have to pay Finnish car tax on a private import. It would need only a trailer.

A friend is selling his 997.2 Cup, which was the fastest 997 in the Carrera Cup Deutschland last season. Freshly rebuilt box, new driveshafts, suspension arms etc. 15hrs on the engine. Lots of wheels and tyres. Maintained/run by Schutz Motorsport. EUR80k. It will run rings around any 997 and 991 on track and can be made street legal if you so desire.

The more I do trackdays, the more I realize that an old race car is the way forward. I have found a 996GT2 race car build by TTP Deutschland for EUR36k. 600bhp, 2 sets of shocks, 2 sets of brakes, 12 BBS wheels, lots of others spares. Also has a DMSB pass, which makes it eligible for historic racing. What can I lose?

While if you track a 997.2 - it will depreciate, there is no question...

Exactly what I had in mind! Although you do need a bit of space to garage the car and its spare parts, and you really need a trailer. And something to tow it with...

I've looked at the Cup cars. They make sense in terms of what I'm after in that no compromise track car, but I'm also very wary of the running costs. Maybe you lads already know but if you don't, they can be very expensive. For example, I met a man earlier this year with a 997.1 Cup and in his two years of ownership he's rebuilt the engine and the gearbox. The engine cost £20k (albeit in was bored out etc) And the gearbox cost £17k. It also needs to be road legal for TF at Ring. I doubt it'll see any UK days.

Also, I have a GT3 in my garage. I'm not prepared to sell it. To buy a Cup car I'll need to spend £60k+ then impending repairs, rebuilds and running. I'll still have a GT3 gathering dust.

bryce said:
I've looked at the Cup cars. They make sense in terms of what I'm after in that no compromise track car, but I'm also very wary of the running costs. Maybe you lads already know but if you don't, they can be very expensive. For example, I met a man earlier this year with a 997.1 Cup and in his two years of ownership he's rebuilt the engine and the gearbox. The engine cost £20k (albeit in was bored out etc) And the gearbox cost £17k. It also needs to be road legal for TF at Ring. I doubt it'll see any UK days.

Also, I have a GT3 in my garage. I'm not prepared to sell it. To buy a Cup car I'll need to spend £60k+ then impending repairs, rebuilds and running. I'll still have a GT3 gathering dust.

I also have a GT3 in the garage... But the reality is that if you track a 997.2 it will be very expensive to run, perhaps not as bad as a 997 Cup, but not far off it. 997 Cups get regular rebuilds while racing because every last 100th of a second counts. For trackdays, the engine can easily last as well as a road car. The gearbox is another matter, but now parts are available from Hollinger direct, so you don't have to pay the exorbitant Porsche tax. There is another brilliant alternative - a 996 Cup. H-pattern box, which lasts ages, still a lot quicker than anything road going, eligible for classic racing, which usually means that values will start going up.

Final bit of food for thought - if you mash a 996/997 Cup into the Armco, no one will bat an eyelid, after all "because race car". Mash a good 997.2 into the guard rail, you are in a whole different world of financial pain come resale time.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back