Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Tyres for a 928GTS

peasoup39

Just about finished my newly acquired GTS but are awaiting the proper wheels Before posting, or trying to post, some pics
Existing rears are new and are 255 40 ZR 17 Continental Contact with the required N2 Porsche rating.
I am trying to buy 225 45ZR 17 Conti,s for the front but am told they no longer come with the required N rating as specified by Porsche.
Is this correct? What are my options and where do i stand with Insurance if i fitted non N rated tyres
peasoup39

peasoup39 said:
Just about finished my newly acquired GTS but are awaiting the proper wheels Before posting, or trying to post, some pics
Existing rears are new and are 255 40 ZR 17 Continental Contact with the required N2 Porsche rating.
I am trying to buy 225 45ZR 17 Conti,s for the front but am told they no longer come with the required N rating as specified by Porsche.
Is this correct? What are my options and where do i stand with Insurance if i fitted non N rated tyres
peasoup39

No one cares about N rating anymore. Check the DOT on your rears. I would personally use Micheli Pilot 2 - they still have stocks with N rating front and rear. Is your RDK working? Brilliant when operative, but a right pain to diagnose when wrong. Great that another one will be used.

Mine has been taken apart - engine out, wings, doors, bonnet and hatch off, interior and carpets out. The long road to full glory has started...

porsche 928 gts wheels

My RDK is working but is on all the time because it currently has a set of new 993 wheels on. Why someone would take a set of original wheels off and spend a fortune on 993 wheels i do not know.
I intend to short out the RDK as i have been warned it is nothing but trouble and my replacement wheels do not have sensors

GTS tyres

My cup wheels have now arrived. They are fitted with Goodyear eagle F1 asymmetric tyres with load rating of 94 and speed rating Y.
On checking various sites it appears Y rating is higher than Z which is what is recommended.
Can anyone advise if these tyres are suitable to leave on the rims or should i change for Z rated?

Y means they are good for 186mph.

I think you'll be fine :thumb:

If the Goodyears are 225 and 255, and matching in terms of type, then you are fine. Top speed of the Auto GTS was 171mph according to the driver's manual, hence with Y rated tyres you are more than safe.

By the way - my GTS was insured with Hagerty for £50k - probably the biggest classic car insurer in the World for £50k agreed value, and they did not care about N ratings. All that was important to them was that the tyres were good enough to pass the MOT and also that they were the correct size for the car. No demands for brands or Porsche N ratings whatsoever. I am still with Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 N3

Hope this helps,

Alex

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back