Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

OEM pirelli PZero on new 991 4S

Hmetwally

I have had my new 991 4s for few months and I do not feel safe with the Pirelli P zero s that are installed at the factory. The traction of those tyres seem sub standard to what one would expect from such car. The ABS engages too frequently each time i apply significant brakes .
Any thoughts or experience with this?
Thanks

Across other cars, I've had other brands including Pirelli and they've all been sub standard in comparison to Michelin, particularly the MPSS tyre. I wouldn't use any other tyre. I bang on about them to all my mates and once they try, they join the chorus.

Thats my sense too. Thanks for the reply.
Do you feel that the traction and adhesion to the road is better on the Michelins?

Hmetwally said:
Thats my sense too. Thanks for the reply.
Do you feel that the traction and adhesion to the road is better on the Michelins?
Absolutely, confidence inspiring when pushing on in the 911 and made A6 fun to drive. Up until changing the tyres, I despised driving the Audi. Tyres and pressures make such a difference to the motoring experience.
Get on the Michelin!

Have never been a great fan of the Pirellis on the 991.

On a warm(ish) day and on dry roads, the Pirellis give good predictable grip and feedback up to the point of "letting go". Usually not a progressive move into "letting go", more like an instantaneous switch. Not confidence inspiring at all. Comes on extremely quickly, and then a moment of sticky brown pants as the car's stability systems try to bring the situation under control. :eek:

In the wet (and cold), same as in the dry, just even quicker getting to the limit and an even bigger brown stain in the pants. :nooo:

Apparently there is an improved Peril PZero out there with a N2 rating but can't verify this for sure. Allegedly, the N1-rated tyres have a different compound/construction and are much closer to the Michelins in overall behaviour.

Have continuously asked the OPC for alternatives and their standard line is that the tyres must be N-rated and approved for the car. So that leaves a choice of one, that being the Pirelli. Sad really that nothing is offered as an alternative, but that is the politics of Porsche and Pirelli at play at the expense of the customer. :sad:

Thanks for that DRZ911 and FZP,
Mine have an N0 mark next to the P Zero. In all cases your description fits what i have been experiencing. And thats my first Porsche 911. So feeling not so sure footed is surprising and disappointing. I think i will also complain to Porsche dealer here and see where it takes me. I thought i was being too picky, but now i am sure this isn't the right tyre type for such car.
can you please expand on which type of Michelin i should aim for?
Thanks again

So the Michelin website recommends two types:
The Pilot Super Sport and
The Sport Cup 2
Reading through it feels like the Sport Cup 2 is better and probably more expensive

I really don't find them that bad. The pzero Rossos on the 997 weren't great, but as long as its 8c plus and you get them hot, they're grippy and predictable, and they wear well. If you're seriously testing their grip in the dry warm conditions, then I hope not to come across you on the road.
Granted as temperatures drop, they become like glass, but they're an ultra high performance summer tyre.
Try a cup2 in similar conditions. You can get these n rated in 991 sizes.
Mines a 2s, and I can putt all the power through 2 wheels in dry conditions, and even in the wet it'll grip from the middle of second gear, as long as it's over 8c.
I run Sotto zeros from last week until march, and I find they're able to deploy almost all of the power available in some prety shitty conditions.
I can get >1.1g lateral and 1.2g stops on either tyre.
In a 4s traction should not be a problem.

Most usp tyres drop off prety badly at low temps. The Bridgestones on the wife golf r behave the same. Her winters go on next weekend.

DRZ911 said:
Iwantone said:
I'm waiting for the release of the new Michelin Pilot Sport 4 S in January

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Michelin-Pilot-Sport-4-S-Press-Release.htm

Will be brilliant if the new PS4S has a N-rating, giving 991 owners their first real choice of a tyre other than Pirelli. But based on Porsche's total ambivalence to the Pilot Super Sport (PSS) which never received a N-rating, not getting my hopes up. :x

Agree, I wouldn't either

OK, you got me thinking... have looked at ATS, Kwik Fit and F1 tyres websites... and none of them have any Porsche tyres for front or rear for my car.

Anybody know where you can buy? I've searched for the same Pirelli P Zero's that I have currently on my car, 305/30/ZR20/103Y/N1 & 245/35/ZR20/91Y/N1 :eek:

Thanks for all the responses

So does this mean that only Pirellis are certified for Porsche?

I did a road tests today and am now fully convinced that those tyres are no good; the ABS does engage with not so harsh breaking. I really think this tyre is way below acceptable. If i compare with my X5, the X5 is a lot more planted with breaking than this.

I spoke to Porsche service engineer and asked to arrange a test drive to demonstrate and asked them to communicate my complaint to Porsche.
I am also working with them to get quotes for continentals and Michelins

Will see if they are picky with the N rating here (Egypt) as tyres availability can be an issue and since Porches are not so common either

Will update

Hmetwally said:
Thanks for all the responses

So does this mean that only Pirellis are certified for Porsche?

For standard 991.1 cars in the UK, unfortunately the answer is "yes" that Pirelli are the only tyres with a N-rating.

Maybe in Egypt, other tyres are approved for fitment?

If you think the Pirellis are poor in Egypt, you should try them in the UK when the ambient temperature is lurking around 5 degrees Celsius. IMO, they are not confidence inspiring at all. :nooo:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back