Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bulges in sidewalls on my Pirelli's

megdog

Two bulges have appeared in the front and back tyres of my 991. No obvious impact damage at all, tyre walls are otherwise pristine and rimes are unmarked.... So i'm wondering if it might be a manufacturing fault. Anyone had similar with Pirelli P zero's 20" wheel?

Cars with low profile tyres are prone to this, especially from pot holes. The family car has 255/35/19 and I drove over a strip across the road where the tarmac had lifted in bad weather. Both front tyres developed an egg on the inside wall.
Do you recall a pot hole incident recently?

No this is the strange thing, I can't recall hitting anything or running over anything remotely harsh. Although given its on the same side I suspect you're right I probably did hit something.

Question is, small bumps and no wheel wobble etc, is it worth changing them for safety?

The buldges tend to be were the reinforced coords inside the tyre have broken and its just the rubber supporting it in that place .

Depending on the size but personnely i would have said this with any buldge , that its not safe and will fail an mot.

Thanks guys. The tyres on the other side have 5.5mm of tread, so I'm just going to replace the two that need doing at the moment I think.

Feel your pain there... indeed, change that rubber, not worth the risk of them going pop.

I'd replace all 4 with some fresh new Michelins. I wasn't all that impressed with the PZeros on my car.

Seems to be more common with Pirelli tyres.
Not heard of this happening with same profile Michelin or Continental (barring severe pot hole damage that damages any tyre).

It's amazing the difference tyres make to driving a car. The Audience which copped the double bubble was on Khumo tyres which was what the car came with. Hated driving it. Put MPSS on it and it ia now a joy to drive. Get on the Michelin train, you won't regret it.
I'm also booked in at Centre Gravity to get the 911 geo done which should transform the car I'm told. Can't wait.

I had the same problem with Pirellis on a new car (non porsche) @ 4000 miles.

That sounds frightening and I would be in the phone to Pirelli straight away.
They have amazing customer service and i would imagine you're highly likely to get some new tyres out of it...

They had issues recently with the P Zero cracking and all customers who complained got new tyres and said the support they received was second to none.

just posted a thread about traction of pirelli s p zero, I have had them on another car and the tread wear rate was unreasonable and uneven too.
I am considering to switch to Michelins if i get some comfort on the traction.

Re the bubbles, they should be inspected by Pirelli themselves because sometimes its just how the plys overlap

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back