Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Calling anyone moved from 997 to 991

silvermilnec

Hi guys I live over on the 997 forum.

A friend of mine is looking to buy a 991 4S his budget is about £70k

I said to get a 997.2 GTS pdk but he pref the more modern lines and interior of the 991.

I've owned 997 4S and now have the 997 1.5 turbo tip.

I'm sure loads have moved from 997 to 991 just after anyone thoughts on the differences in the real world, specifically how special do they feel to drive in comparison.

Cheers and enjoy your Porsche and stay safe!!

silvermilnec said:

I said to get a 997.2 GTS pdk but he pref the more modern lines and interior of the 991.

I'm sure loads have moved from 997 to 991 just after anyone thoughts on the differences in the real world, specifically how special do they feel to drive in comparison.

Hi silvermilnec I moved from a 997.1 C2S to a 991.1 C2S and love it. Both manual cars.

Pros
  • Noise or engine and PSE
    Comfort in comparison to 997
    Modern interior
    Man its fast
    7MT is not as bad as some have said

Cons
  • Not as raw as 997
    Bigger so feels more GT than go-kart

Overall I had a couple of reasons to change, firstly always having in the back of my mind would something let go on the 997 and equal major cost, eg bore scoring. Secondly I just wanted something with a bit more model interior.

My car specs:

• Manual
    Atlas Grey
    19" SD wheels
    Gundo Hack on exhaust
    Sports chrono
    PASM
    Sport seats plus
    extended leather
    rear wiper
    park assist front and rear

• Manual
    Guards Red
    20 Classic Carrera wheels
    PSE
    Sports chrono
    PASM
    Sports seats plus
    rear wiper
    Power steering plus
    cruise control

Hope this helps your friend.

Cheers Scott, I'll be honest i've never looked at the performance figures for the 991 I enjoy my 997 turbo too much! I love the targa 991 but out of my reach.

Is it much faster than the 997? is it bottom end torque?

Cheers

scoot said:
silvermilnec said:

Hi silvermilnec I moved from a 997.1 C2S to a 991.1 C2S and love it. Both manual cars.

Pros
  • Noise or engine and PSE
    Comfort in comparison to 997
    Modern interior
    Man its fast
    7MT is not as bad as some have said

Cons
  • Not as raw as 997
    Bigger so feels more GT than go-kart

Overall I had a couple of reasons to change, firstly always having in the back of my mind would something let go on the 997 and equal major cost, eg bore scoring. Secondly I just wanted something with a bit more model interior.

My car specs:

• Manual
    Atlas Grey
    19" SD wheels
    Gundo Hack on exhaust
    Sports chrono
    PASM
    Sport seats plus
    extended leather
    rear wiper

• Manual
    Guards Red
    20 Classic Carrera wheels
    PSE
    Sports chrono
    PASM
    Sports seats plus
    rear wiper
    Power steering plus
    cruise control

Hope this helps your friend.

Owning the 997.1 C2S and driving my neighbour's new 991.2 C2S recently - I feel both cars are very different. The 991 is a GT car that will beat my car in nearly every aspect (expect for the engine noise). Whereas the 997 is the more traditional sports car - small, focused etc. I imagine the 997.2 GTS must be the best compromise of modern performance, reliability and ride.

991 definitely faster and also more tame in my experience. Both car are fab and if I had the money and space I would have loved to keep the 997 as well.. Oh well off to play the lotto :D

I sold my 997.1 turbo 6 weeks ago and have had my 991.1 C2S for 3 weeks.

What can I say, from the outside the 997 turbo (read wide body) just looks so good. The 991 is still classic Porsche but it's not the same.

So there's that and the ease in which the turbo wants to go warp speed. The 997 turbo was just so quick or at least due to the power delivery felt so much quicker than the 991.

And that's where it all changes, 991 is such a nice place to sit, light years ahead in the cabin from any 997 generations. The sound, ok I came from a mute turbo but the sound, oh the sound! It's incredible!

I have a pdk with sports chrono and launched it for the first time the other day. It scrambled for grip initially but away it went. It's a very quick car within any scope of the imagination. It's also a bit lighter on its feet and only when I got the back end to slide out did I realise how much work the awd system does to pull you out of a slide.

Would I change it? No, well unless it had turbo written across its arse......

About 30 months ago, moved from a 997.2 C4S to a 991.1 C4S. Ovbservations at the time, which still hold true today, were as follows :-

1. The interior package/layout is a significant improvement over my 997.
One very small niggle is that even though I have speced additional leather options, there are some small parts in hard ABS plastic that would have been automatically leather covered in the 997.

2. Exterior - a natural evolution from the 997 - pleasing to the eye from all angles. :thumb:

3. Noise - love the throaty engine/exhaust note (even with PSE off), and the frenzied scream when accelerating hard with PSE and Sports Plus on. :thumbs: :thumbs:
Certainly lets other road users know what's coming up behind them!! :cop:

4. Ride/Handling/Steering - compared to the 997, not such a quantum jump. Always considered the 997 superb in this area, so happy that the 991 is in the same ballpark, with surefootedness enhanced further by the improved 4-WD system.
In terms of the steering feel, if the front end is pushed hard, it feels totally planted and very similar to the hydraulically assisted steering of the 997. When not pushed so hard, the 991's electric steering is slightly more nervous and can feel a little fidgety over certain surfaces.

5. Fuel consumption - about 26-27mpg when used in the same manner as the 997 which gave 24-25mpg.

6. Technology/Options. In some areas, a very nice step change from the 997. Particularly like all the read-outs and info on the fourth dial accessed through the MFSW.
PSE a must-have - a magical aural delight!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Start/stop and coasting features were initially annoying, but no longer an issue. Can always be switched off.
The simple things, like red seat belts and sports lip spoiler on the front bumper, make me smile every time. :D

Hope the above helps to make a decision one way or the other.

Cheers guys! I think he decided on a 991 and will start looking in the new year!

Ok...here's a different perspective, albeit with two very different GT3 RS cars.
I'm fortunate to own a 997 GT3 RS gen 2 and a 991 GT3 RS. I totally concur
with all of the above comments from the various poster's about the 991 being
light years the nicer car to sit in. The cockpit is just superb, and it certainly
does have all the mod cons and 21st century toys to play with. Point to point,
it has more grip, more go, bigger brakes, and the rear wheel steering make
the 991 feel really chuckable...and then there's that trick PDK box too. The
level of driving refinement in the 991 is up two notches, not one.

My 997 has sat in the garage unused for five months (since the new car made
it's appearance)....until yesterday. Ok, the 997 is a 2010 car, it feels small,
so much smaller inside, the gear change is slow (until it's warmed up), and
that clutch is heavy..but, hang on, that's great because it does have a clutch !.
Then, you press on...and omg, I hadn't realised until today what I've been
missing out on.....

The car has 'huge heart and soul'...the steering is alive, so alive that you feel
every imperfection in the road surface, and the noise is so very raw, the
exhaust note sounds louder (as the car has less sound proofing). The levels of
refinement you have in the newer car, just aren't there in the 997, but you
know what ?, it really doesn't matter a jot.

All of this really does make the 991 feel a bit 'antiseptic' when you compare
the two back to back.
The 991 might be a lot more capable, but I have no doubt that the 997 is the
fun car because it will only give you what you put into it....it's just awesome.
:bye:

nick w said:
Ok...here's a different perspective, albeit with two very different GT3 RS cars.
light years the nicer car to sit in. The cockpit is just superb, and it certainly

that clutch is heavy..but, hang on, that's great because it does have a clutch !.
missing out on.....

The car has 'huge heart and soul'...the steering is alive, so alive that you feel

the two back to back.
fun car because it will only give you what you put into it....it's just awesome.
Great summary Nick.

scoot said:
nick w said:

missing out on.....

the two back to back.
Great summary Nick.

Thanks for your kind words ! :thumb:

nick w said:
My 997 has sat in the garage unused for five months (since the new car made it's appearance)....until yesterday ........

The car has 'huge heart and soul'...the steering is alive, so alive that you feel every imperfection in the road surface, and the noise is so very raw, the
exhaust note sounds louder (as the car has less sound proofing). The levels of refinement you have in the newer car, just aren't there in the 997, but you know what ?, it really doesn't matter a jot.

the two back to back. The 991 might be a lot more capable, but I have no doubt that the 997 is the fun car because it will only give you what you put into it....it's just awesome.

Given that both cars are too much for y(our) local roads it sounds like you should consider garaging the 997 in Nurburg and just use the 991 for getting there and back. :grin:

T8 said:
nick w said:
My 997 has sat in the garage unused for five months (since the new car made it's appearance)....until yesterday ........

The car has 'huge heart and soul'...the steering is alive, so alive that you feel every imperfection in the road surface, and the noise is so very raw, the
exhaust note sounds louder (as the car has less sound proofing). The levels of refinement you have in the newer car, just aren't there in the 997, but you know what ?, it really doesn't matter a jot.

the two back to back. The 991 might be a lot more capable, but I have no doubt that the 997 is the fun car because it will only give you what you put into it....it's just awesome.

Given that both cars are too much for y(our) local roads it sounds like you should consider garaging the 997 in Nurburg and just use the 991 for getting there and back. :grin:

Your idea does have some merit !

nick w said:
T8 said:

Great, I'll help you out.

You can drive the 997 down for the last time and I'll follow in the 991. We can toss a coin to see who drives back.

T8 said:
nick w said:
T8 said:

Great, I'll help you out.

You can drive the 997 down for the last time and I'll follow in the 991. We can toss a coin to see who drives back.

.... :floor: that's so not going to happen !

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SBSEA
Back