Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Sport Classic II fitment

aspo13

As per my thread regarding tyres, I'm having the SCII's refurbed.

Just a thought which hadn't bothered me till now;

On the Porsche technical info document I've got the wheels are listed for the 993 as being available in 3 sizes. Either 7.5" (50mm offset), 8" (52mm) or 10" (65mm).

The set I have are 7.5" fronts but the rears are 9" with a 52mm offset. Part number 993 362 138 50. Will these fit ok without causing any issues?

The car currently has Targa Speedlines, albeit 17" rather than 18" but these are also 9" wide with a 55mm offset. I had assumed that the 3mm lower offset would not be an issue.

I would just like some reassurance before I end up refurbing a pair of wheels that might not fit!
Thanks

Trust in Chris from Exel Wheels - he won't let you go wrong.

Assuming your car is NB, they will fit just fine. The 3mm negative difference will give a marginally better stance/look as they will sit 3mm further out. ;)

C.

They should 'fit' without a problem, but essentially someone has sold you a set from a 986 Boxster, so I'd test-fit how they look before you spend your money.

I assume looks are the key factor here (as these are very heavy wheels) so be sure you are going to be happy.

Something that has just occurred to me from what you said - do you have a Targa? Porsche didn't recommend 18s due to shock/vibration being higher vs 17s, and the effect that might have on the glass top.

If so, having a slightly narrower footprint due to the Boxster rims (remember that the actual width of rubber on the road is more affected by the rim width than the width embossed on the sidewall) may transmit more 'shock'?

Or would it be less as the sidewall will have more 'give' sitting on a narrower rim?

Any comments, fellow 993ers? :?:

wheels

Can't answer the technical side of the question, but mines a manual coupe :thumb:

orangecurry said:
They should 'fit' without a problem, but essentially someone has sold you a set from a 986 Boxster, so I'd test-fit how they look before you spend your money.

I assume looks are the key factor here (as these are very heavy wheels) so be sure you are going to be happy.

They are not 'very heavy' at all, and are lighter than the Targa wheels being replaced

http://www.944racing.de/wheelweights.php

So you don't currently have Targa speedlines? I'm confused :grin:

By 'very heavy' I was comparing like-for-like 18" rears, and so if you actually chose the 9J rears you are correct - they wouldn't be 'very heavy'.

....actually shirley there is a typo in the 944 data on the 9J SC2

Look at how much difference there is in weight between the 9J and 10J, and then look at other OE 18" 9J and 10J differences.

Also look at the specific data - the 8J wheel at 10.85Kgs is stated as being heavier than the 9J wheel at 10.8Kgs - that can't be correct.

Look at every other OE 18" wheel (with the same offset of 52 - so the difference isn't extra weight on the hub-mating point) and each 9J is around 1kg to 1.5kgs heavier than the 8J

Yep no issue and actually the 265 looks nicer on a 9" than a 10" which can look slightly stretched.

Might weigh these when we do them.

Chris W said:
Might weigh these when we do them.
...and the verdict?

wheels

:eh!: Completely forgot to ask Chris when he dropped them off yesterday!

Top bloke, great job can't wait to get them on the car now my Koni's have turned up.
:thumb:

Have to say Larkspeed were very helpful as well trying to sort out the delivery of the Koni's after one or two hiccups.

Will get a couple of pic's loaded tomorrow.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back