Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

My New Tandem Pump Stainless Steel over cover

Phil 997

Le Mans
After being told some months ago by my indy that my Tandem Pump was very very corroded and needed sorting I started to look at the issue.
After reading many reports of the Pump that was made by Pierburg rusting as the cover was made of mild steel but due to the location low on the back of the 997 they were corroding. I then read about a replacement stainless steel cover made by 9M so managed to get hold of one , sadly although a good idea due to the molecular differences in the metals used the Stainless steel cover was getting affected by heat etc and causing the pump rotors to contact the cover at best causing a rattle and at worst breaking the pump.
a very disappointing outcome, so it seemed the only option was to replace the pump like for like knowing that over time the same would happen again.
I realised I could paint it with hammerite or similar but a bit of a bodge fix for such a stunning car.
I then looked at the price of the Tandem Pump from Porsche and found that depending on where I looked they were anything from £400 to £500. So first thing was to find the pump directly from Pierburg and avoid the Porsche tax :wink: I read that the BMW1 series used the same pump which although came from a German company Pierburg was infact made in Italy.
This set me off looking at European parts suppliers I found one that was listed for the boxter etc. but not the 997 so I contacted the company who are called Autodoc, they confirmed the item I needed which was Pierburg pump number 70026402
their regular price was £297.99 which was between £100 and £200 cheaper than Porsche. they offered me a discount which took it to £275 delivered from Germany.

http://www.autodoc.co.uk/pierburg/7890260?search=PIERBURG%20Vacuum%20Pump,%20brake%20system%20%20(7.00264.02.0)

Whilst I was doing this, I read about a company who after much research had found the issues with the Stainless steel replacement covers and decided that the optimal solution was to create a Stainless Steel over cover.
Well for me this was the perfect solution as there was no more risk of the pump getting damaged by contact with an aftermarket part, but a Stainless Steel cover to look good and protect the mild steel cover for the future. Due to similar material and manufacturing costs logically this over cover was going to cost similar money to the old failed 9M stainless steel cover this made sense and at least would be a good long term fix.
Therefore the key for me was finding the tandem pump at the right price, as the Pierburg pump from Autodoc and the new Stainless Steel over cover were going to cost me similar to just the pump from Porsche.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142157139477?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Today I received my new Stainless Steel over cover, I was very pleased with the fit and quality ,I was also happy to see it came with 4 large and 2 small replacement Hex bolts this was an unexpected bonus for me as the pump had been supplied without the new Hex bolts and they seemed to be a couple of pounds each from the OPC when I looked quickly.

I am very pleased at this outcome as it offers me and others like minded a decent long term fix for a known issue. There is also no reason why anyone with a non leaking tandem pump can't grease the cover up and fit one of these Stainless covers to protect the existing pump and at minimum extend the life and reuse the stainless cover when they finally need to replace the pump.

Just need to get it booked into my Indy now to have it all fitted.

I have taken some photos so you can see the pump and the Stainless steel over cover .

Attachments

• img_0966_194.jpg
    img_0966_194.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 8,746
  • img_0967_141.jpg
    img_0967_141.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 8,745
  • img_0968_123.jpg
    img_0968_123.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 8,746
  • img_0969_179.jpg
    img_0969_179.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 8,746
  • img_0970_166.jpg
    img_0970_166.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 8,746
  • img_0972_923.jpg
    img_0972_923.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 8,746
Nice account of your research Phil :thumb:

Be sure to pack that cover with grease to stop the corrosive reaction between the two metal types.

KJD said:

Be sure to pack that cover with grease to stop the corrosive reaction between the two metal types.

I will be doing that Kev, and was also thinking I would run a bead of silicon sealant around where it tightens to the pump to stop any moisture ingress between the two, to form a kind of gasket. so belt braces and a bit of string fix :grin: :grin:
Then the final thing will be to cover it and the rest of the underside in ACF-50 Anti Corrosion Spray and job done for winter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301842315410?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Nice work thanks for the info and links

wasz said:
I suppose you could just fill the new cover with silicone rather than grease....
I could but would that make it difficult to remove if ever I needed to. :?:

Jam911 said:
Nice work thanks for the info and links

nice write up phil, is the cover designed to be snug fit, i would have thought if it is snug and then you tighten it up with some greas under pressure it should keep the water out but as long as it is sealed as you say

seeforez said:
nice write up phil, is the cover designed to be snug fit, i would have thought if it is snug and then you tighten it up with some greas under pressure it should keep the water out but as long as it is sealed as you say

It's a snug fit, very well made it's not so tight you struggle to get it on and off but not loose so you could rattle them together , not that it would when bolted down anyway, the idea of the silicon bead gasket was just being belt and braces I agree you probably wouldn't need it. :thumb: :grin:

Phil 997 said:
KJD said:

I will be doing that Kev, and was also thinking I would run a bead of silicon sealant around where it tightens to the pump to stop any moisture ingress between the two, to form a kind of gasket. so belt braces and a bit of string fix :grin: :grin:
Then the final thing will be to cover it and the rest of the underside in ACF-50 Anti Corrosion Spray and job done for winter

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301842315410?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I've been spraying mine with anti corrosion spray in the hope I can prolong its life.

KJD said:
Phil 997 said:
KJD said:

I've been spraying mine with anti corrosion spray in the hope I can prolong its life.

good idea mate :thumb: :grin:

Chris_in_the_UK said:
Great write up Phil! :thumbs:

Thans Chris , hope your keeping well mate :thumb:

Nice work Phil !

Think you could set up a stall at Porsche Freunden 2017 and flog a few of these kits :floor:

Look forward to hearing the final cost for Indy to fit . I have it as an advisory, but not obviously leaking (yet!)

Good job Phil :thumb: on my to do list!!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
964Turbo.3.3Mike
Back