Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Cold air kit

workman

Hello folks, just a short question you can maybe help me with.

I've just bought the Design911 helmholtz resonator bypass kit. The airbox to plenum hose fits perfectly and, after removing the helmholtz box, the alloy stopper simply pushes into the opening (with a bit of force).

My question is this, I've actually glued the stopper into place to, hopefully, make sure it won't come out (due to road bumps and/or air pressure, from inside the airbox), do you think this would be secure enough?

Thanks in advance.

Sounds ok to me, you won't have anything but negative pressure (suction) in there unless you supercharge it and even then.... :thumb:

sounds fine - you 'could' if you're worried still put a hoseclip around it as that would stop it. I imagine there would be a lot of air pressure the faster you go but it should be fine how you've done it - just keep an eye on it for a few weeks. :)

Hi,

Do you notice much of a difference since fitting the kit.
I have heard that there is louder induction noise but does the car feel more eager as well.

Just interested as I plan on doing the cheap mod on my own.

Cheers.
Stu.

stewhp said:
Hi,

Do you notice much of a difference since fitting the kit.
I have heard that there is louder induction noise but does the car feel more eager as well.

Just interested as I plan on doing the cheap mod on my own.

Cheers.
Stu.

Stu, the engine defiantly breathes more freely with this mod adds a few BHP and sounds nice so all wins no negatives. :thumb: :grin:

workman, I think you will be fine as most just put tape or something round it to make the cap fit tight so glue should really do the biz. :thumb: :grin: mine is used as a cap not bung as the HHR is still fitted but it goes nowhere and has been fitted for several years just pushed on. :thumb: :grin:

Thanks for that Phil, yeah hopefully glue will make it secure.

Stu: I've not had a chance to drive the car today, to gauge the sound difference; however at idle there's a more bassy and fuller sound while throttle blips give a slightly harder edge. Hope that makes sense?!

It's always good to hear how you find mods after you have given it a hoon, helps guys searching in the future so make sure you let us know how you found it after you have had a run . :thumb:

Phil 997 said:
workman, I think you will be fine as most just put tape or something round it to make the cap fit tight so glue should really do the biz. :thumb: :grin: mine is used as a cap not bung as the HHR is still fitted but it goes nowhere and has been fitted for several years just pushed on. :thumb: :grin:

Just one thing, sorry to bang on about it, as Harv said earlier there'll be negative air pressure inside the airbox, but I wonder if the air coming through the filter (as provided by the intake hose) would threaten to push the bung out (even though it's glued in place)?

workman said:
Phil 997 said:

Just one thing, sorry to bang on about it, as Harv said earlier there'll be negative air pressure inside the airbox, but I wonder if the air coming through the filter (as provided by the intake hose) would threaten to push the bung out (even though it's glued in place)?

I can't see it doing that mate, I have read dozens of threads where guys have completely removed the HHR as its so easy to do on the 996 and no one has ever posted to say the plug has blown off. so pretty sure you will be fine.

workman said:
Phil 997 said:

But the air outside the air box will be pushing harder, hence negative pressure.

Thanks Phil & Workman,

Hopefully get around to doing this myself.

Cheers.

Removed the resonator on both my 996s and the bung was always just a
push fit with some PTFE tape to make it more snug.
No problems in 12 years.
Gives a better throttle response and a more growlier noise
but 'more horsepower' :floor:

So folks I had the car out for a run on Saturday, with the new pipe and stopper in place, slightly better throttle response and above 4k the sound has a harder edge to it (but it's not too loud). As a result I've just ordered a K&N panel air filter to complete the package as it were, especially given that I had a full stainless steel exhaust system fitted to the car during the summer.

On the run on Saturday a mate took a video of me revving the engine, must see if I can get that off him and post it here.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
barrywhite
Back