Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Outdoor car cover help

knw911

Hi chaps

Joined this morning and my first post!

Last weekend I put a deposit down on a 996 Targa. The car is all but showroom standard and want to do my best to keep it that way.

I work away from home in the week, and therefore want to try and look after it as best as possible. I have a drive way off road that I will keep the Car, but with lots of trees etc, I want to keep the car covered. Access to Garage is not easy.

My thinking is to get a car cover for it during the week. I've read horror stories about cheap ones scratching paintwork. I've looked at 911 design and they have the original outdoor cover for about £200 or a stormsheild (never heard of) for £300.

Any recommendations and advice chaps?

Welcome to the forum. I had the same issue as you, there is a tree in our front garden that dumps leaves, sap etc. on my Carrera white Cayman. I bought a cover from Amazon and I am dead pleased with it. It is fleece lined and waterproof with a heavy feel and has a zip door opening so you can get in if you need to without having to take the cover off. Only issue I had was there is only one strap and the wind kept blowing the back part of the cover up, but I have ordered extra webbing and clips off Feebay and I am going to sew these on this weekend. All in all for less than £50 its a really good deal. One piece of advice - only ever put the cover on a freshly cleaned car otherwise there is a chance of rubbing. PM me if you wish and I can point you in the right direction.

Thats sounds good for £50!

I've also started looking at the Carcoons.

The car wont get used at all during the week, only weekends.

I use a waterproof car cover made by 'maypole', it cost 50 quid.

I made the mistake of listening to the shop assistant and bought a size too big, its ok, but it always has to be strapped aswell, otherwise it just blows off.

it is totally waterproof. Don't buy 'shower proof'.

Gents - still looking for recommendations for a outdoor car cover for the 996.

Some of the recommendations here so far are for boxster and cayman, having checked, they wont fit.

Thanks

Have you looked at the OEM Porsche outdoor cover, I'd imagine it would fit like a glove and be good quality. The indoor cover certainly is.

KJD said:
Have you looked at the OEM Porsche outdoor cover, I'd imagine it would fit like a glove and be good quality. The indoor cover certainly is.

Hi Mate - I've been told they are not that good in terms of protecting the paint. Apparently the lining on the inside isn't that great and can cause scratching.

Happy to be proved wrong.

knw911 said:
KJD said:

Hi Mate - I've been told they are not that good in terms of protecting the paint. Apparently the lining on the inside isn't that great and can cause scratching.

That surprises me but I've not used one I was just going on the quality and fit of the indoor cover.

KJD said:
knw911 said:
KJD said:

That surprises me but I've not used one I was just going on the quality and fit of the indoor cover.

do you have the indoor? whats the inside of it like?

The indoor has a nice soft lining but it's no good for outdoors.

I have a mate that keeps a show standard car outdoors I will ask him what he uses for you.

KJD said:
The indoor has a nice soft lining but it's no good for outdoors.

I have a mate that keeps a show standard car outdoors I will ask him what he uses for you.

Mate that would be ace!

Thanks

My mate uses a cover systems cover he says none of them are 100% but he found it to be one of the best he has used.
He said you should expect to replace it every 2/3 years as the material will breakdown from uv etc and get it fitted as tight as possible to avoid chaffing.
He hasn't tried one but you can get a soft undercover so you have a 2 layer system.

Have you also seen the framed up and over system, worth a look :thumb:

or does this inspire you to do some DIY building just some sheeting and timber

Attachments

• kitcargarage2_144.jpg
    kitcargarage2_144.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 9,384
Phil 997 said:
As Kev said the framed ones are ideal and not much more than a porsche OE outdoor cover at £350 and no messy taking off putting back on having to clean the car first etc etc.

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/cla...GS-140611216&gclid=CPf6iqPX8M8CFRPgGwodlKAO-g

Is that machine mart item double skinned, because we have used something which looks similar for a number of years which was single skin......................great if it's pi$$ing down with rain, but in the frosty weather we got lots of condensation freezing on the inside........sun comes out.......everything underneath gets soaked as the ice melts?????

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back