Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gone and got the missus a cayenne

911tom

I never really gelled with our Nissan Qashqai. It is everything a drivers car should not be. Uncomfortably on a long journey, gutless, wallows through the bends. I have been trying to persuade the missus to let me change it for the last year quite unsuccessfully. We recently used the qashqai to tow my atom down to ariel for a service and spent a week down in sunny Weymouth. The qashqai, whilst it states a max towing load of 1350Kg and the atom + trailer were more like 1000kg it struggled, really struggled. It was just luck we never had to stop on a steep hill! She agreed that day that maybe a slightly bigger, heavier, more powerful car is the way forward. So with the green light I started looking!

Me being me obviously it had to be a turbo lol. I decided that a new generation turbo would be too much cash to spend so I did view a 2009 model. Great car and quick but my missus was nervous about driving a 'fast' car. I also started thinking about reliability and running costs etc. I turned my attention to the baby of the more recent range, the 3l diesel. I went and viewed one that was a bit of a dog and whilst millage was under 60k it had clearly had the sh*t beaten out of it by a previous owner! I was however impressed with the performance given the fairly low power output. I decided spec needed to be;

- Black with black interior
- Satnav
- park assist front and back
- rear camera
- whilst I liked the look of the bigger wheels I felt they drove far better on smaller wheels. Also with the smaller wheels the tyres seem to do a good job at protecting the wheels. That way the kerb can be used as a train track
- Tow bar
- PASM

I ended up settling for one without PASM. I am happy with the drive on the standard shocks. I am directly comparing it to a qashqai lol! It is was the tidiest one I saw with full porsche history. 44k miles. An added bonus it has th rear sun shades which means we can bin our cheap things from the qashqai. The dealer is also changing front discs and pads as they are low. Looking forward to picking it up early next week :D

yeh, I cant stand the quashqai, its trying to be something it isn't, I think you have made a fair choice.

I keep thinking about buying an old grand Cherokee for the hell of it, a 2.7 diesel, i am not a massive fan of these types of cars, but i can see the appeal for others.

i will look out for it, what colour?

Nice one! It will be a great car to use, fantastic engine.

I am a relatively recent convert to SUVs... we bought an '04 3 litre petrol X5 last year. I love driving it, its such a contrast to the 911, rumbling along in a very chilled way and it feels very safe perched up high where you can see. I would certainly recommend one as a quality good value 4x4.

A mate has a Cherokee V8 as his station car.

It's a not very stand outy black lol. Yeah I've never been a big fan of the luxury 4x4 but for carrying the kids in, towing other cars, carrying push chairs. They are hard to beat. There is no denying that they are a lovely thing to sit in. I have been told that I am not to buy any more cars for a couple of years. She has a point but we will see :grin:

Nice one Tom :thumb:

I did toy with the idea of a Cayenne Turbo but then ended up buying the T5.

Looking to change the wife's Volvo V50 soon if anyone fancies an estate :dont know:

Come on Tom... :useless:

We got a diesel 3l at the beginning of the year. Never had, and didn't used to go for the whole SUV thing but really love it. Its on 21's so have to watch the whole kerb thing :eek:

One came to a PCGB track day and surprised everybody, instructors included, how well it went, even caught and passed 2 Boxsters.

19" wheels are the perfect size IMHO and yes you'll never kerb the alloys :thumb: The dash/display is like the Starship Enterprise at night :grin:

Plus having had one with air/PASM going again I'd not pay the extra premium.

Make sure the warranty is cast iron :what:

ah, slades garage, I bought an mgb roadster from there 12 years ago.

I remember as a kid, back in 1979, my stepdad picked up his brand new Leyland princess special six from there, they were am official Leyland dealership.

They have some serious 911 in there, or they did have last year.

nice car. :thumb:

More like it Tom :judge:

You should ask for a spin in that Panamera :grin:

The panamera wouldn't be top of my list from the slades stock list!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back