Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Manual or PDK for a Gen 2?

MOz

Quick one. Done a small search but no definitive.

I've upped my budget to Gen2 territory.

Paddles (rather than awkward buttons) will be a must but what is the forum opinion? PDK or manual?

Cheers.

Welcome to 911UK.

In answer to your question;
One man's meat is another man's poison.

Drive a manual, then drive a PDK, or vice versa then tell us what you think.

Alternatively, search the forum to see what the very many others said about the same question.

It's personal, only you know the answer.

Buy a manual unless:

1. You have one leg
2. You want to get from A to B as quickly as possible

Welcome to the forum.
MC

Thanks. Test drives extremely difficult and time consuming to organise as most cars seem to be miles away.

I've had a DSG Leon Cupra that was adequate but didn't blow me away - I guess the PDK will be similar.

I like the idea of a taller 7th gear for cruising economy.

Do the car autoblip on down-changes?

Oh my... like a red rag to a bull. This is a very divisive question (on here) so I'm sure you will get all kinds of responses.

Bottom line it's a personal preference. What do you drive now, what is your car history with regards to manual/Auto? What will you use it for, daily or weekend warrior?

Test driving both is a must. But I'll wait for your answers.

I drove an M3 with the DCT gearbox for 2 years, I absolutely loved the gearbox, which is why I bought the Gen 2 with the PDK, all I can say to help you is what others will say, you need to drive both, but in my opinion the PDK is an excellent drive, and I also believe that the PDK is better than the DCT in the BMWs, good luck in your search :)

PDK all day long for me. Perfect for the daily commute in traffic and then whack on the sports mode when going for a spirited run to really enjoy it, or sports plus if you want to go mental and really see how good the PDK gearbox is.

Depends how you want to drive it - and whether its your daily drive or not.

If you are going to do a lot of driving that involves red lights - then the PDK is much easier....

If you are only to take it out for "drives" or weekend car - then manual will give you a better feel...

From having manuals most of my life, I switched to Auto's about 7 years ago and now I wonder why I didn't do it earlier... That is for the daily drive.

MOz said:

I think that's a something manual cars do on the 991 range so a 997 with a manual box won't do that.

apollokre1d said:
MOz said:

I think that's a something manual cars do on the 991 range so a 997 with a manual box won't do that.
My right heel is now on auto blip. I do it subconsciously so much so, that when I had my father in the car, he noticed that I do all the time. I hadn't really noticed.
By doing I'm sure I'm extending the life of the clutch by 30 miles or so 8)

Awesome. Sorry to dig up a devisive subject.

Car will be a mix of daily driver (long dual carriageway commute hence the ideal cruising 7th gear) and weekend warrior.

Time to spend hundreds of miles travelling for test drives I guess.

Previous sorts cars owned inc a 1990 Griffith 4.3, stage 2 VX220 and said Cupra (CAUTION - not all sports cars obviously).

My other option is an F Type V6 which is obviously paddle auto only and I know that does suit as my father-in-law has one (V8S).

Sorry to say budget pending that's winning easily at the moment.

Heretic?????

I would say even if you test drove them you would still be thinking in dilemma thoughts.

The manual is great and the PDK is great. I'm still undecided after owning both transmissions.

It really does come down to the advice above:
PDK: God send in heavy traffic, long journeys, life expectancy, manual operation, the car will have an easier life in the long term.
The bad bits: Doesn't change down to quick enough for me when I need it to. You have to go through every gear, say 5,4,3,2 instead of 5,2 in a manual under heavy breaking. 3,5 point turns wind me up as it decides to change from 1st to reverse to 1st to reverse. If it does go wrong (without Porsche Warranty) the bill will make you collapse on the spot. If it has a dead battery or it goes wrong you can't push it out the way or push start it to get it going for a new battery. You never know what gear you are in unless you look (driving manual) and you can select first by accident.

Manual: A lot better fun to drive, and the opposite of a PDK to get points above. Without listing a the opposites.

For me personally, I have a PDK because I hardly use it and it's a vehicle to get me from A to B. If I want fun I'll jump into the manual Boxster. For me it ticks more boxes than the 911, but I prefer that little bit more comfort on long journeys over 2+ hours driving.

The final words on the question will be: be honest to yourself how you'll use the car, daily driver or Sunday excitement, traffic or mainly country roads, relaxed driver or specific involvement.

Some love the PDK and some don't. I'm Ok with it now I've adjusted my driving style. (However I still prefer manual, but we'll keep that a secret :grin: ) :thumb:

I've now done 2000 miles n a manual in 10 days. I hate every gearchange with a passion. PDK!!!

MNC911 said:
I would say even if you test drove them you would still be thinking in dilemma thoughts.

The manual is great and the PDK is great. I'm still undecided after owning both transmissions.

It really does come down to the advice above:
PDK: God send in heavy traffic, long journeys, life expectancy, manual operation, the car will have an easier life in the long term.
The bad bits: Doesn't change down to quick enough for me when I need it to. You have to go through every gear, say 5,4,3,2 instead of 5,2 in a manual under heavy breaking. 3,5 point turns wind me up as it decides to change from 1st to reverse to 1st to reverse. If it does go wrong (without Porsche Warranty) the bill will make you collapse on the spot. If it has a dead battery or it goes wrong you can't push it out the way or push start it to get it going for a new battery. You never know what gear you are in unless you look (driving manual) and you can select first by accident.

Manual: A lot better fun to drive, and the opposite of a PDK to get points above. Without listing a the opposites.

For me personally, I have a PDK because I hardly use it and it's a vehicle to get me from A to B. If I want fun I'll jump into the manual Boxster. For me it ticks more boxes than the 911, but I prefer that little bit more comfort on long journeys over 2+ hours driving.

The final words on the question will be: be honest to yourself how you'll use the car, daily driver or Sunday excitement, traffic or mainly country roads, relaxed driver or specific involvement.

Some love the PDK and some don't. I'm Ok with it now I've adjusted my driving style. (However I still prefer manual, but we'll keep that a secret :grin: ) :thumb:

Brilliant post. Thank you. Still undecided!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tobytobytoby
Back