Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 to Retro 964

evodarren

This has taken my fancy. For some reason i i have a hinkering for a classic air coolled.
This is a 964 with older body kit.
Could i live without my 997 GT3 and would i be happy with this beauty ??

Attachments

• porsche_911_coupe_petrol_35149086_113.jpg
    porsche_911_coupe_petrol_35149086_113.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 6,974
  • porsche_911_coupe_petrol_35149087_199.jpg
    porsche_911_coupe_petrol_35149087_199.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 6,974
  • porsche_911_coupe_petrol_35149091_133.jpg
    porsche_911_coupe_petrol_35149091_133.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 6,974
It would be like chalk and cheese chum as you'd be moving back to 'analogue'. Great for those special journeys and limited use but ride, handling, equipment will be very different to what you're used to.

My Indy has just finished a fantastic back date into a long hood. Plus they have a wide body targa (and another SC) mid way through restoration that the current chap who has commissioned now wants to sell. Buy into this and you can spec it how you want :grin:

Not driven anything quite in your modern league, but with the choice of my three I always without fail pick the 964 first then have to persuade myself out of it 8)

Would love an old 911. But I couldn't give up my current one for it. I could only buy one to have as well as. Damn that's a sexy car though.

Had my GT 3 for 4 years in November and loved every minute of it. Everytime I drive it I feel great. I had some nice cars but none have affected me as much as the GT3

Looks like a beautiful car, but big money for what, essentially, is a high miles 964 that has been messed around with bodywork wise :?:

From a GT3 to a 964 would be a massive step back in comfort and performance, so it depends on how you like to drive really :thumbs:

I'm pretty sure that car was white before and written up in GT Porsche a few months ago. The interview with the chap who built it suggested it was pretty good, but I think it's come up for sale a few times/stayed on the market for a while. Ie harder to shift than a GT3. I'm not by any means someone who buys these cars as an investment rather than a driver, but it's good to know how fast you could shift it if needed. My expectation is also that a decent GT3 will hold/increase value better.

I have a 993 and have just bought a 997.1 GT3. For me it's a really tough choice, but on balance if I had to choose a toy I would probably keep the air cooled car, and personally I find it pretty useable. That followed a 997.1 C2S which I had for 3 years so I know the newer cars quite well. That said I am over the moon with the GT3. A very tough and personal choice. Nice problem to have though.

evodarren said:
This has taken my fancy. For some reason i i have a hinkering for a classic air coolled.
This is a 964 with older body kit.
Could i live without my 997 GT3 and would i be happy with this beauty ??

You are comparing apples to tomatoes there - you would be giving up Pizza for Apple pie, so it is utterly personal and not really something that anyone on here could legitimately help you with.

Compared to a 997 GT3, a 964 almost feels agricultural. And while a 997 GT3 to some extent feels closer in some ways to the 964 than it does to a 997 C2, it really is a very different animal. Don't get me wrong - I have regular pangs of desire to get something air cooled, but for me it absolutely would have to be in addition to rather than instead of the GT3 (and would also have to be left hook as the RHD driving position in a 964 suits me so badly that I couldn't live with it).

kurlykris said:
Looks like a beautiful car, but big money for what, essentially, is a high miles 964 that has been messed around with bodywork wise :?:

From a GT3 to a 964 would be a massive step back in comfort and performance, so it depends on how you like to drive really :thumbs:

Its had a top end rebuild and a lot of suspension work, not to mention the bodywork and interior restoration as part of the backdating.

So in a sense, its good-ish value when one considers what it might cost to buy a 964 and do it yourself.

No doubt it would be a very special car to drive. Whether it would be as thrilling as your GT3, dunno. Its a targa too, so will be less stiff.

As said above though, your GT3 is the real deal, that car is now neither a 964 nor an early 911 so has a more limited appeal for buyers.

I'm sorry but that just looks wrong. If we're talking a C2 or even a C4 coupe with all the right bits done then fair enough but I wouldn't get out of a GT3 for that. I own a 964 and used to own a 996 GT3, I'm currently in the process of buying another 996 GT3. I would always sell the GT3 before the 964 but then again I have a sentimental attachment to it. Totally different to drive and a totally different ownership experience - as mentioned earlier, ideally you want to add rather than replace.

Drove a friends 964 carrera 4 yesterday. It was very engaging , lovely old school in a way. But i would miss the explosiveness of the GT3 engine.

evodarren said:
Drove a friends 964 carrera 4 yesterday. It was very engaging , lovely old school in a way. But i would miss the explosiveness of the GT3 engine.

I would think an exploding engine would be better avoided :D

Senoj said:
evodarren said:

I would think an exploding engine would be better avoided :D

Yes at 40K
its the way the GT3 revs i would miss.

I can completely see why it has taken your fancy! it is indeed a thing of beauty :cloud9: Some really lovely design features on it

We are in the fortunate position of having a 996 and a 964 - a targa too which was deliberate - and are still smitten with both of them

we probably use them a similar number of miles each year but the 964 gets used more in the UK ; the turbo is better at eating up miles when we go over to Europe. Maybe, it is easier to use a larger part of its performance whereas the turbo needs more 'space'.
That's not to say the 964 isn't good on the motorways as it certainly is. As we have found many times, it is surprisingly (for its age) relaxed and quiet and yet very able to cruise at 150+ on the autobahns as long as you want/are allowed. There are no rattles or squeaks and it's very easy to hold a conversation in it while at decent speeds
For me, the biggest items that date the 964 are the 5 speed gearbox and the asthmatic HVAC system - hence we changed the gearbox for 993 6-speed and this year's winter project is an improved air con system
We've had it over 5 years now and it took a little while to be bitten by the 964 bug and then a long weekend in Derbyshire with it and we could totally see what it was about. Since then, we have had some fantastic and memorable drives in it

HTH

I came 'close' to doing something similar a few years back, but thankfully got talked out of it. I agree with Colin, the 964 would make sense as an addition but not instead of a GT3. Seems everyone has their pet hates, but the thing that killed the 964 for me was that there isn't anywhere to rest your left foot when not changing gear. That and the slightly skewed driving position just put me off. Horses for courses though, might be your thing, just wasn't mine :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back