Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Made a New Video, tell me what you think

isysman

Hi fellas,

Been really busy lately at sea but we've got some down time for a little while so I decided to make a trailer video for my YouTube channel. Only 44 seconds long but took me 4 hours to make!

Let me know what you think. Turns out yachting has a big interest, never thought it would so I'm filming videos now about that. Keeps me busy. Seeing as I spend half my time at sea it's a good thing I suppose.

To me, the music sounds out of place (X-factor) and the transitions are far too distracting.

I tend never to use transitions unless I really have to. I always use straight cuts unless it's a for a fast paced pop or sport video where they can really add to the drama if you use the right ones. But not the same one over and over.

There are some ok angles there, but I tend to always keep the camera still and let the action happen in front of it, rather than moving the camera.

HTH

Flashing images between scene changes would have me breakdancing if it was any longer, or looking like this:

av-76261_zps811df5e0.jpg

In fact looking at HPNer's Avatar he's probably overdone it :what:

Content good though :thumb:

I'll do another for guys with flat caps and pipes! :D

Actually it's not the same transition, they are varied but similar. Wanted something upbeat and energetic for my trailer. I've had mostly positive feedback.

Yeah the yachting is very popular, the boat featured in my trailer is actually up for sale: Motor Yacht A but it will most likely set you back about $250 million.

isysman said:

No, basic film-making. When you have footage and a message that can take funky transitions, music and cuts, then that's fine, fill yer boots, and even the old farts will appreciate it. But you don't on this one.

All friends will give positive feedback. Depends who you want to listen to :thumb:

I'm not trying to be hard on you, you may be a 17 year old kid for all I know, but's it's my profession. If you are, then what you've done is ok, but you need to learn what works and I'm just trying to help. I do this with my son all the time and he hates my criticism.

Kimbo said:
isysman said:

No, basic film-making. When you have footage and a message that can take funky transitions, music and cuts, then that's fine, fill yer boots, and even the old farts will appreciate it. But you don't on this one.

All friends will give positive feedback. Depends who you want to listen to :thumb:

I'm not trying to be hard on you, you may be a 17 year old kid for all I know, but's it's my profession. If you are, then what you've done is ok, but you need to learn what works and I'm just trying to help. I do this with my son all the time and he hates my criticism.

Well my comment was tongue in cheek. My positive comments were from social media. I get that it's constructive criticism, I know the difference between it and just criticism.

I do this for fun so I'm sure to professionals it looks lame but that's ok. I shoot with a small £200 hand held LUMIX camera so my footage in my opinion looks good considering. I'm improving each video I shoot. One thing you said was about moving the camera around but most of my shots were static. But I do understand that panning and zooming is not great in general. I don't see how the music is X factor at all though. I don't watch that show but is it not about pop music? I wanted something dramatic (and short) and I'm limited with free music.

Video aside, that's a bit more than swallows and amazons!! OMG that is a beauty of a yacht. Is that the kind of thing on which you work?

Jcx said:
Video aside, that's a bit more than swallows and amazons!! OMG that is a beauty of a yacht. Is that the kind of thing on which you work?

I worked on that yacht for three years. The owner has a Carrera GT which I got to drive as well. After that I worked on Ambramovich's old yacht Luna and now I work on a 92metre of similar style.

isysman said:
Jcx said:

I worked on that yacht for three years. The owner has a Carrera GT which I got to drive as well. After that I worked on Ambramovich's old yacht Luna and now I work on a 92metre of similar style.

I know work is work but when it's in a nice office it's better. :)

Jcx said:
isysman said:
Jcx said:

I know work is work but when it's in a nice office it's better. :)

Yeah it's nice having this as your view

Any of them out there with Seagull outboard motors :dont know:

Any vacancies for a stoker as I'm looking for a career change :?:

I can easily get you a job as a bell-boy in St Tropez Mr Z, just give us the nod :wink:

Staying near Antibes at the moment and enjoy boat watching. Harbour dwarfed by Dilbar at present , with Le Grand Blue just outside. A bit big.

The video is a nice 'taster', with less dramatic transitions. Still images are superb - glimpses of a different world.

Johnd52 said:
Staying near Antibes at the moment and enjoy boat watching. Harbour dwarfed by Dilbar at present , with Le Grand Blue just outside. A bit big.

The video is a nice 'taster', with less dramatic transitions. Still images are superb - glimpses of a different world.

Dilbar was in Monaco a few months back, it is massive. Largest yacht in the world right now.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Atlas.997
Back