Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Polish for silver body

marcass

Could I can some advice/recommendation on a good polish for silver paintwork, which is a little tired and would welcome some swirl marks to be removed etc.

I currently use Poorboys polish for white bodywork, but was not sure if this was good for silver too?

thanks

Hi We have a trial tub of Bouncers "check the fleck" wax and some other bits, I am passing it on to Kev KJD on Sunday for him to use on his silver car, I was very impressed on my dark car.
Your welcome to try it after him if you can hang on a week or so. just drop him a PM and I am sure he will pass it along to you to try.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=113866&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

Easy
:lol: Dont detail

Autogym Shampoo conditioner

Two buckets and a hose pipe

Then leather it off

Gently

To actually remove swirl marks you'll want a polishing compound and ideally a polishing machine. I really like Maguiar's M205. Lovely stuff. But the severity of the swirls will determine how agressive a compound you'll need.

A lot of 'polishes' that you can buy in Halfords, for example, don't actually remove swirls but fill them in for a while. I don't know the Poorboys range that well but I think their products generally fall into this category. Things like Black Hole are glazes rather than polishes.

Don't worry about your paint colour when choosing products. The products don't react any differently to the colour of the paint that they're applied to. Unless you're buying that old 'Colour Magic' stuff that actually has pigment in it then the colour of your car makes no difference.

If you want reflection have it clayed

Refreshes without machine polish.

Mine is speed yellow without nail gloss :thumb:

Thanks for the replies.
Its my wife's car and so far only bothered to Clay mine :D . maybe i should put in the effort and do hers.

After claying mine i've used poor boys white polish and then a decent Wax (cannot remember which one I bought, but it wasnt cheap). result on my car was pretty good, but not a showroom stopper.

No keen on getting a machine so would stick to hand polish for now.

Phil 997 said:
Hi We have a trial tub of Bouncers "check the fleck" wax and some other bits, I am passing it on to Kev KJD on Sunday for him to use on his silver car, I was very impressed on my dark car.
Your welcome to try it after him if you can hang on a week or so. just drop him a PM and I am sure he will pass it along to you to try.

http://911uk.com/viewtopic.php?t=113866&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=60

That would be great, much appreciated.

997 COAST said:
If you want reflection have it clayed

Refreshes without machine polish.

Claying won't remove the OP's swirl marks unfortunately. I only clay prior to machine polishing as it can actually add to marring.

Claying removes the contaminants that bond themselves to the paintwork so it can certainly improve the look of the paint if it's the contamination that is causing the paint to look dull.

Wash, Decontaminate with tar and iron remover, clay, polish / glaze, wax.

It won't cover any serious scrtaches or swirls, but it will look a heck of a lot better.

I'd heard that checkthefleck was good and recommended it to Phil. He liked it so much he bought the company.

image8439.jpg

Well not quite, but you get the idea...

madge said:
To actually remove swirl marks you'll want a polishing compound and ideally a polishing machine. I really like Maguiar's M205. Lovely stuff. But the severity of the swirls will determine how agressive a compound you'll need.
Madge's right - machine polishing is really the only way to remove swirls, but unless you have a DA to hand it's not for the novice.

On the black car i was able to remove a few significant marks and scratches on the old black car using Megs' Ultimate Compound and a decent polishing pad. The art is to keep working the product until it breaks down, but that's not so easy when you're doing it by hand.

I've got a rotary polisher and have done a bit of paint correction in the past. I'm no expert, but need to get it out to sort out some marks on the bonnet of the red car. I'll do a "How to" on it, so people can get an idea of what is involved.

There are a couple of really good vids on youtube worth watching as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgeOXulAZC8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CI78DjvsLwA

Polish for silver body? :?:

srebrny korpus :dont know:

alex yates said:
Polish for silver body? :?:

srebrny korpus :dont know:

Bardzo dobry Alex mnie rozśmieszyło :floor: :hand:

It's as Monkey said really, swirl marks are in the clear coat and to remove these to any degree you will need to machine polish them out.

It's a stage by stage process as if the car is not clean you will just add more trying to remove the ones you already have.
A lot of swirl marks are the result of poor washing process so if you are to spend time and money getting them removed the aftercare is really important.

We have all seen the main dealer wash bays and the road side car washes with brush heads on the floor just ready to rub grit over your paint work
:sad:
AVOID!!

I'll be trying the check the fleck over the next couple of weeks so I'll happily pass it on for you to try just drop me a PM and I'll keep you in the loop with my progress on trying to get some more depth and shine on this.

CarreraMonkey said:
On the black car i was able to remove a few significant marks and scratches on the old black car using Megs' Ultimate Compound and a decent polishing pad. The art is to keep working the product until it breaks down, but that's not so easy when you're doing it by hand.

Another excellent choice there CarreraMonkey. :thumb:

Meg's UC is easy to find at your local motor store and has a bit more cut than M205 so makes sense if you're hand polishing. One thing I will say though is that you don't need to break it down like you do with a lot of other compounds. It uses non-diminishing abrasives so in fact it won't break down.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back