Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Porsche AG refuse to honour warranty on new GT3 for track us

IMI A

What a pxxx take. Porsche AG refusing to honour warranty on their track cars if used on track. Pathetic and not unexpected with some of the recent experiences I've had with them on warranty claims.

http://rennlist.com/forums/991-gt3-...many-15-16-gt3-s-have-engine-replaced-99.html

The rennlister should just report Porsche AG to the equivalent of the UK Financial Ombudsman in Europe as the warranty is a financial product. I did this when my turbo mezger imploded on autobahn at approaching 175mph and Porsche AG tried to hand me a £33,000 bill. I won as they wet themselves when the Financial Ombudsman collared them.

They wouldn't get away with this in US

:floor:

Quietly dropped in for 2015 MY. I certainly think it will have an impact.

Attachments

• thumb_911_gt3_driving_on_the_race_circuit_0004_1024_192.jpg
    thumb_911_gt3_driving_on_the_race_circuit_0004_1024_192.jpg
    258.4 KB · Views: 8,858
I think the disingenuous bit is Andreas Preuninger telling media the new GT3 being able to rev to 9000 rpm rather than 8500rpm and owners being able to take it to track all under warranty.

Since then:

1. Engine recall with some design faults addressed

2. Rev limiter on GT3RS reduced to 8250 rpm & same rumoured on 991.2 GT3

3. 2015 Warranty void on track under "certain circumstances"

Beggars belief and people paying overs.

:hand:

From the bit ringed in red it appears that there are steps that owners should take to ensure that their cars are still covered by the warranty.

It says " the warranty may be voided if these aspects are not taken into consideration".

I would hope that if an owner could prove that additional oil changes were done and that the car was checked between scheduled services by an OPC then the warranty would be honoured.

IMI A said:
I think the disingenuous bit is Andreas Preuninger telling media the new GT3 being able to rev to 9000 rpm rather than 8500rpm and owners being able to take it to track all under warranty.

Since then:

1. Engine recall with some design faults addressed

2. Rev limiter on GT3RS reduced to 8250 rpm & same rumoured on 991.2 GT3

3. 2015 Warranty void on track under "certain circumstances"

Beggars belief and people paying overs.

This is and will always be a difficult subject...what's covered ?..what's not covered ?. A few years back Porsche AG dropped a letter on the laps of every 997 GT3/RS 2 customers (inc me and a few others on this forum) changing the 'goal posts' on new service intervals for those out there tracking their cars. I won't bore everyone with the intricate details, but suffice to say that it was all pretty outrageous at the time and it also left a bad taste in the mouth.

The marketing and selling of these cars was based around 'being ready for the track' and not a whisper about having to change key suspension parts at key times and about having to keep tabs on track mileage...all a load of poorly thought up ideas.

Anyway, some of us complained and wrote lengthy letters to Porsche GB and received credits in advance of the works on these cars being undertaken. Porsche, therefore have history on this subject.....the service interval revision works was necessary because the Center lock system was under developed.

There were numerous stories of wheels falling off !.For my part, on my 2009 Black GT3 gen 2, I had numerous experiences of 'recalls'...'new locking nuts'.. 'new Center lock tightening procedures'...'new grease' etc. At times it was a total farce, and it did leave you with the feeling that Porsche themselves had no definitive answers when the questions where posed.

However, they did get it sorted, so the engineering bit was addressed, but
as a company they have always been piss poor at putting their hands up. You have to "squeak very loudly for them to oil the noisey wheel !".

Since I've been tracking, i've had a new rear titanium box fitted to my 997 RS, two sets of brake pad sensors, a complete new lift system, two new clutch release forks, a new starter motor...all under warranty. The only one i had to shout about was the starter motor. If you're not over revving the unit, getting the right gears and obeying their service rules, I can't see why there should be an issue with getting warranty work done...no matter whether it's a new clutch, exhaust or new engine for that matter ?

:?:

The centre lock thing was infuriating. I'm not so sure it was technically under developed more that it was complex to use and subsequently owners ( and the dealers) got it wrong...i still think the time based maintenance change thing on them was more to do with preventing litigation than anything.

Haven't heard of any coming off for a while...and those that did were always dubious as to wether there were actually put on properly in the first place. Even the dealers couldn't get it right for a while....

I'm not surprised they have added that caveat to the new manual. Its nice to have a few loop holes especially with big dieselgate bills looming...But to keep things in perspective its a caveat and not a black and white disclaimer.

The chap on rennlist's issue has now been covered by his warranty btw. It sounded a bit odd thatbthey had done the work before acknowledging who would pay for it. Maybe the dealer just got it wrong...been known to happen.

Porsche News said:
IMI A said:
Quietly dropped in for 2015 MY. I certainly think it will have an impact.

"in certain circumstance" :?:

the question , is this something else apart from the Engine Range reading ?

The subtext of the wording is to give Porsche an out for warranty claims if the car hasn't been looked after to book. So if the wheels fall off because the centre lock maintenance schedule hasn't been followed (including lifing of parts, lubrication and tightening procedure) then they are off the hook. Likewise fluid levels and specification, component wear and anything else that should be checked and inspected prior to taking to the track.

I don't read that as an attempt to evade warranty claims if a car has been tracked personally :dont know:

T8 said:
From the bit ringed in red it appears that there are steps that owners should take to ensure that their cars are still covered by the warranty.

It says " the warranty may be voided if these aspects are not taken into consideration".

I would hope that if an owner could prove that additional oil changes were done and that the car was checked between scheduled services by an OPC then the warranty would be honoured.

If you read the rennlist thread it would appear that they are as they are refusing warranty on a car in Europe and left owner with 33k bill

Just picked my car up after the engine re-build and I am totally, absolutely, freakin' ropable.

I have just been told that PAG have not approved the work under warranty because I told them the CEL occurred on the race track and they want to bill me 30,000 euro!!! If it had have happened on the road, it would be ok. WTF!

I sat there stunned for a minute before telling them No Freakin' Way am I paying for this and peeled off the following:
- it's a design fault that is caused over time. It's purely coincidental that the CEL occurred on the track
- if it's not a design issue, why did they re-design the parts...I have photos to prove it
- why the f... does Porsche even build the GT3 if warranty doesn't cover track work
- I know of 2 the guys in Belgium who had there engines replaced so why single out me
- when I brought the car in the engineer told me it would be done under warranty
- I made 4 trips to the garage to check on progress and at no point did they tell me the work would not be done under warranty
- If I had have known, I may have taken a different path.

The service manager is a good guy who is supporting but he is fighting PAG. I told him that if this cannot be resolved, I will explore legal avenues, I will sell every Porsche I have, cancel my two orders and invest my money in other more trustworthy brands.

To say I am angry is an understatement. So all of you out there, if a CEL comes up on the track and you have to take the car to the garage, never tell the truth. Tell them it happened on the road, then you are maybe ok.

Senoj said:
The chap on rennlist's issue has now been covered by his warranty btw. It sounded a bit odd that they had done the work before acknowledging who would pay for it. Maybe the dealer just got it wrong ... been known to happen.

"Originally Posted by Chris3963 View Post
Some good news.

"Wrote a very detailed letter to my Porsche dealer today detailing my case, the fact that it was a known problem, that I was not given advance notice that I may have to pay, how much money I had spent on PCars in the last 18 months, highlight the track warranty conditions in the booklet that I had complied with, etc....and that if they did not positively resolve the situation I would marshal social media globally via Porsche forums.

I sent the email to my dealer at 1pm. My dealer forwarded it to PAG at around 2pm. Then at 5:30pm I got an email from my dealer saying that PAG had agreed to do the work under warranty.

Faith restored, if a little tarnished."

Keep Calm and Carry On :thumb:

Senoj said:
"Originally Posted by Chris3963 View Post
Some good news.

"Wrote a very detailed letter to my Porsche dealer today detailing my case, the fact that it was a known problem, that I was not given advance notice that I may have to pay, how much money I had spent on PCars in the last 18 months, highlight the track warranty conditions in the booklet that I had complied with, etc....and that if they did not positively resolve the situation I would marshal social media globally via Porsche forums.

I sent the email to my dealer at 1pm. My dealer forwarded it to PAG at around 2pm. Then at 5:30pm I got an email from my dealer saying that PAG had agreed to do the work under warranty.

Faith restored, if a little tarnished."

Keep Calm and Carry On :thumb:

Great outcome. Shame it needed threats to get this result!

Come on guys, let's inject a bit of realism here...

I am a serial ///M junkie - the only ///M Power that I have not owned are M1, 1M, E92 and the new turbos...

So-o-o... In 2007 I bought a new Z4MC - the supposed 911 beater (it was not, but that's how ///Markering was trying to present and it is a different topic anyway). It was the backbone of their racing program, it was the quickest ///M car at the time around the Nordschleife etc... And yet, in my newly printed driver's manual it stated explicitly that my warranty would be invalidated if I took my Z to the track...

Now, I could understand them with my concurrent M5 V10 Touring - it was a family hack with supercar underpinnings, but still a big estate, not a race car. But on the sportiest, race honed blah-blah Z4MC - wtf?

So in a way, be happy that Porsche has not banned track use altogether.

P.S. My 996.1 CS driver's manual has no such *****. How times change, eh? It actually talks about ARBs settings when using slicks.

You are not wrong mr cherburator.

I think its the fact that Porsche absolutely wring out the marketing mop when it comes to track cars and motorsports. The halo cars are always marketed in that context and to be fair, why not, its powerful emotive stuff. When they turn round and say err, well we actually didnt mean you to actually use it like that or if you do you're on you're own mate.. Its a tad disengenuous to say the least..

But, to be fair to Porsche your are right in saying that the cars are so good out of the box that its not a massive problem. I have had a few run ins with porsche warranty dept over the years. A recently replaced (300 miles old) clutch on my gen1 gt3 grenaded itself and took the housing with it, not cheap and they wouldn't pay. Not because it was used on a track but because they could not identify why the problem happened and it was therefore not their fault. i asked them if they thought it was my fault? No, they said we just dont know how it happened so we can't cover it. Utter nonsense and it took a huge amount of effort, stress and hassle to finally get some "goodwill", horrible experience. Then all sorts of nonesense about aftermarket grills (no renewal this time) that they would happily remove for me for £350, the c/l wheel debacle...but never have i ever been asked if the car was on a track or not. To be precise i have never had a claim refused because of that. At Spa a couple of years ago i was under the car adjusting the rear bar and noticed a significant oil leak, very lucky spot...Porsche assist picked it up, took it to Porsche Liege where it was fixed under warranty. They even gave me a hire car to drive home and keep for a couple of weeks and then paid my fares back to liege to collect it.

The problem with Porsche and their extended warranty is nothing to do with track or no track. Its all to do with the massive inconsistency of how they apply their ambiguous rules and regs. Its full of snares and is such an anti customer product i dont know why they bother. The stupid check you have to pay for, no mods whatsoever etc. The rows they must have over it beggars belief. Why not turn it on its head, smile and be totally customer centric, say yes more than no, charge a little more for it if you are that concerned and be the best in the business. Customer retention and all that..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back