Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Bike rack

weejimmy

I am a keen roadie as is my son. My wife's Evoque is our usual method of transporting our bikes with a tow bar mounted rack which is excellent. There are times when we want to take our bikes somewhere and she needs her car though, so I wanted a solution for the 911 for those occasions.

The Porsche system looks good, but I think it makes the car look like a mini van and I didn't really want to splash out on something that would only fit the 911. A mate has a Seasucker Talon he uses on an F-type R and another mate has used the same of his 2016 V8 Mustang so I've ended up with a Seasucker Mini bomber two bike system.

Just back from a 550 mile round trip to the southwest and it worked flawlessly. I spent a while working out where to mount it and ended up with it on the sunroof. I'd have preferred it to be direct on the roof, but in the end I plumped for a forward position that meant the mini bomber was right forwards and the rear mounts sat comfortably on the rear window. It also worked on the panel behind the sunroof above the rear window, but it was then very tight on the bottom of the rear window and the wiper was coming into play.

Installs in about 5 mins and takes literally 30 seconds to mount the bikes which lock rigid with front fork mounts. The front wh'eels went in wheel bags inside the car. Once on, if you hold the mount and move it the car goes too. It is rock solid. They have indicators to show if a pad is losing suction that we could see through the glass sunroof, but we experienced no loss of suction at all.

The best bit was we were able to stick it on top of my parents C Max so they could act as road support once we were in the southwest before putting it back on the 911 for the drive home.

For me it looks so much better that the Porsche scaffolding. They supply covers to keep the pads clean when it's not on the car. You just wipe the surface before installing. Once removed there are no marks left on the glass (after a wipe).

A tiny bit of wind noise over 60 mph But nothing awful. The rubbers on the sunroof chattered a bit, but they are overdue a re lubrication anyway as they chunter a bit when dry. Fuel economy was unaffected. Didn't 'really know they were up there save the open mouths of people we passed!

Attachments

• image_313.jpeg
    image_313.jpeg
    908.8 KB · Views: 2,685
  • image_245.jpeg
    image_245.jpeg
    1,013.9 KB · Views: 2,684
  • image_871.jpeg
    image_871.jpeg
    734.7 KB · Views: 2,680
Good skills that man! nice.

:thumbs:
Big fan of the sea sucker too.
Once you mount it and try pulling it off all fear is allayed.

Agreed. I'd have preferred to not have had to mount it to the sunroof as the rubbers chattering was a bit unnerving but it settled north of 60 mph.

They get a mentioned in the this months Evo in the long termers section too.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
993gtnut
Back