Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Future GT3RS

Ken White

Does anyone know if the future gen of the GT3RS will have a manual option? If so when do you think it might be available to order? Looking at maybe spec'ing one and hanging on to it as a long term investment. Kicking myself didn't order a GT3RS 4.0 at the time when I had the chance.

Thanks for any help.

I'm going to make another prediction: The next GT3 and GT3RS will be turbocharged with manual gearbox as standard, and option for PDK.

+1 What isysman said

If i could get an order, i would buy it too

isysman said:
I'm going to make another prediction: The next GT3 and GT3RS will be turbocharged with manual gearbox as standard, and option for PDK.

Would that mean the "end" of the GT2?

apollokre1d said:
isysman said:

Would that mean the "end" of the GT2?

Possibly more like the end of the GT3 - this is possibly related to claims a while back that the current GT3 would be the last one, with the GT2 essentially being a successor rather than a model above it?

Consider that the Cayman GT4 and 991 RS production will soon end and before long the actual racing cars will be the only normally aspirated Porsches in production. There will be a last ever normally aspirated car - the only question is whether there are more generations before than happens.

That would be a right shame if that is the case, I have always thought the normally aspirated GT3's would be around for a while yet.

Ken White said:
Does anyone know if the future gen of the GT3RS will have a manual option? If so when do you think it might be available to order? Looking at maybe spec'ing one and hanging on to it as a long term investment. Kicking myself didn't order a GT3RS 4.0 at the time when I had the chance.

Thanks for any help.

This (now five months old) says GT3's will be normally aspirated for the "foreseeable future". It also says the GT3RS will be PDK only.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/m...xt-gen-porsche-gt3-have-manual-gearbox-option

It wouldn't mean the end of the GT3 in the same way that turbocharging the Carrera does not make it a 'Turbo' at least as far as brand recognition goes. If the new GT3 has an engine along the same lines as the Carrera turbocharging went - the feel of a NA engine with high revving motor then they could still offer the GT3 and GT2 as separate entities.

If they just produce a new NA engine with manual gearbox for the new GT3 it would basically make the 911R redundant. Also the Chinese market is becoming huge, and they have big taxes on engines over 3.0L so cars like this don't sell there. The new Carreras most likely sell well there now.

Who knows whether there'll be a gen 2 RS or when it's coming out. What we
do know is that the usual predictive timeline for the release of the last three
generations of GT3 was upset big time with the 991 engine fire debacle.
Effectively that put back the press release of the 991 GT3 RS, to March 2015.
That was two years virtually to the day, the 991 GT3 was first shown at the
Geneva motor show in March 2013.

The 991 GT2 RS will come on down next...so March 2017 release date...UK
cars won't start appearing (and there'll not be a lot of them) until late Autumn
2017. Going with previous timelines for earlier generations, the 991 GT3 gen
2 should have already been with us.....?. The last registered gen 1 997's were
'08..the earliest gen 2 997's were '59 plates....that's 1.5 years give or take
between generations.
We're already well over 3yrs since the gen 1 991 GT3 was released. I'd hazard
a guess that there'll be some sort of 'end of line 991 GT3 RS gen 2'..limited
production run, but this will be normally aspirated. The 918 boys will have first
dibs on it, so get your letters in early (not that they count anymore), and buy
other cars from the dealers to get their attention !.

Ps...These cars have (rightly or wrongly) become investment vehicles, so new
wealthy buyers are out there buying them up for the wrong reasons.....
.....and that can start another debate.

For those interested, I can say categorically, that they are truly mind
bogglingly fast, and you do need to get to a track to get to even enjoy
them, otherwise you're only getting about 10% of driving value !.
:grin:

I wonder if the GT3 is due fairly soon as the current model has disappeared off the Porsche configuration screens, yet we still have the GT3 RS, R and 918...

Just out of interest, how do you get on the list for the new cars such as the GT3 RS and the 911R?

Is it a case of simply walking into a Porsche showroom and plonking a 10k deposit down or do you need to be on Porsche's 'nice list'?

Nick W - seem to recall you've been through it recently, how did you do it? and what colour did you go for in the end?

DerbyJim said:
Just out of interest, how do you get on the list for the new cars such as the GT3 RS and the 911R?

Is it a case of simply walking into a Porsche showroom and plonking a 10k deposit down or do you need to be on Porsche's 'nice list'?

Nick W - seem to recall you've been through it recently, how did you do it? and what colour did you go for in the end?

Tbh, I've been reliably informed that the the old letter of intent process is a
thing of the past. If you want a GT car there are only a handful of ways of
securing a new one.....
Requirement...

1) Rock star/film star/Premiership football knob etc
2) Long term relationship...if you want an RS, you'll have needed to be part
of the 918 (VIP programme) or have bought at least two previous GT3
versions from an OPC, and be friendly with the dealer.
If you wanted an R, they were had by actual OPC owners and a handful
of 918 customers (VIP programme). The terms and conditions of the VIP
programme allow the lucky owner to have first refusal on any new Porsche
within its strict guidelines. Having said that, there were so few 991 R cars
being built, apparently not many 918 customers were getting slots. I have
heard of a couple of lucky customers who got the nod...

3) For a cooking GT3...good buying history with the dealer should get you in
if you're lucky.

I have a good relationship with my local dealer and i've had a couple of GT
cars...so I got lucky, and there were twenty guys behind me in the queue !.
I held out for a PTS colour...Voodoo Blue. :thumb:

No one knows what the cars will be, manual, pdk, both. If you want one best place to go is an OPC as you cant place an order anywhere else....and, if you are just now thinking of buying a new one from an OPC then you are most likely about three years, a few bought cars and/or an ongoing positive relationship too late. Or, maybe not..

If Porsche decide to make enough to fulfil demand, what ever that may be, then guess what, anyone who wants one can buy one and that is also likely to be normal car buying scenario that includes elements of depreciation. Bearing in mind that this, in no way, will distract from the quality of the driving machine and experience (hopefully) then i do wonder what the real demand will be like when they make more of them.

Also remember this overs stuff is a very recent phenomenon. 996's and 997's were never under supplied when new. When the 991 pdk car arrived two things happened in a relatively short space of time. Firstly the 6's and 7's with their race derived engines, manual 'boxes and, most importantly, known finite numbers built became more desirable for reasons of authenticity and relative scarcity. Secondly the 991, primarily because of its pdk box, astonishing capability and glowing press, became desired by a whole new type of customer who were either not in love with the previous generation cars where the performance was harder work to extract and weren't the most acommodating things as road car in comparison or blissfully unaware of what the GT3 "thing" was all about. As such i think Porsche under estimated demand on the 991 so now there is a delicately balanced under supply of both.

Neither of these things were part of any master plan...without the 991 engine debacle and subsequent delays they may well have built quite a few more 991 but i think time ran out...big company long term planning and scheduling took over.

My guess is Porsche will make more of the subsequent models. Just how many more will be very interesting to try and fathom along with what happens to demand once they do.

crlincoln said:
I wonder if the GT3 is due fairly soon as the current model has disappeared off the Porsche configuration screens, yet we still have the GT3 RS, R and 918...

They usually drop off quietly a while after the last examples have been delivered and the production has ended. This is generally quite some time after they actually stopped taking orders for them. That is why the R and RS are still on there though - they haven't all been delivered yet (but the last of the cooking GT3s were registered in 2015).

[Not sure how long ago it was, but checking reveals that the 918 is no longer on the configurator, which fits as the line closed a while ago].

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back