Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Finding the right seating position

Cloris

OK, I've had my 911 for a few months now, and I think it's time I came out and said it... it's kind of uncomfortable to drive! Maybe if I describe some of my issues people can suggest some things for me to try. It's a 1988 coupe with everything in excellent condition. I'm about 5'9" tall. I have 4 way power seats with manual fore/aft adjustment.

I think my biggest problem is that I've been unable to find a comfortable seating position for working the clutch. My sense is that this is partly because of the way the clutch depresses into the floor, instead of straight back light I'm used to on other cars. It's also a lot heavier than what I'm used to. But I feel like when I move the seat forward enough to press the pedal all the way down, then when I'm off the pedal I have to point my toe way back. If I move the seat back even one notch from there, suddenly I feel like I'm not getting enough leg leverage to press the pedal.

Obviously this is not much of a problem on the highway, but when I'm in traffic or even just driving in town, my left leg gets tired quickly. It's tough to imagine taking this car on any kind of serious road trip!

Do I just need to go to the gym and start doing leg presses?

Just a thought but is your seating position too low?

There's a lot of good stuff on the web about finding a comfortable seating position, e.g. http://www.driving.co.uk/car-clinic/how-can-i-make-sure-i-have-found-the-perfect-driving-position/

Granted however this won't help if the seats themselves are no good (worn etc), or if the car has inherent ergonomic issues. Pre-996 911's aren't known for being the most comfortable to drive in RHD form especially long distance

How are you finding it now, did you manage to fix your driving position?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back