Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

How do I get the most benefit from my upcoming respray?

S10lemon

Hi All,

I have owned my 89 C4 for around 4 years now and am now in a position to have her painted.

I'm very lucky that I have a great local paint shop that has a lot of experience in older 911's and are good friends so I'm confident that they will do a lovely job on the body, I took the car down a while ago and after a good poke and a prod they are suggesting a glass out job due to rust around the front and back windows, so that's all set.

I have started making a list of other things to address while this is happening but as I add things to this list I've realised I'm out of my depth as I've never done any sort of restoration work before.

I have been reading some of the restoration threads and wondered if there is a 'best practice' for planning the work?

I really want to focus on getting things done during the paint that are a pain in bum to do in normal circumstances but don't have a huge budget so I'm sure I'll have to prioritise some jobs.

My aim is to have a standard(ish) car that is going to be used on the road only, that my wife and daughter can drive comfortably and isn't hard to live with.

Any advice great fully received

Steve

My advice is:

1) Dont skimp on the paintwork as you only want to do it once albeit you'll then fret over every new stone chip :nooo:

2) You might be able to get a deal done (cash :bandit: ) or for it to be undertaken during quiet periods but be prepared for the car to go 'offline' when other priority work is being undertaken

3) You might want to think about having any work done on the interior whilst its in for paint as these can be removed witout issue and I dare say the sprayer can sit on a shandy crate to move it round the garage

4) Dont forget having the alloys done at the same time

5) Dont forget all the rubbers

6) Put new headlamp lenses on

7) Dont let them forget to paint the door mirrors

8) Have a new windscreen dropped in if yours is old and coming out anyway. If anything like mine its like looking through a seive

9) Whatever they tell you in relation to how long it will take add on 50% especially if you want the car back for an event/trip :roll:

Having just got mine back, I highly agree on the windscreen, mine isn't too bad but while it was out, I should have gone for a new one. I also reuse the original seal, again, a mistake. Where my car had been painted on the scuttle area prior to my ownership, the job was clearly done with the windscreen and seal in place and I have bits of red paint on the seal which is really hard to pick off and kind of looks bad on the company who just painted my car.

Make sure every seal on the outside is replaced, you'll be surprised how bad old seals will look against your fresh paintwork, I would also have the black trim work around the window refreshed by the bodyshop, if yours are faded/matt black, they will look much worse once the car has fresh paint.

Where would you advise getting a new 964 windscreen from ? , mine is going in for paint in November , its in a bad condition so ill replace it , anywhere in particular recommended ?? cheers

Steve,

I have some bumper to body seals and brackets left over from my resto your welcome to if you pm me your address I`ll ping them in the post at the weekend if their any good to you.

Gary

All,

Thanks so much for the advice and parts :)

I hadn't thought about most of it to be honest.

What are your thoughts on a heated screen as a replacement?

I have done my best with the heating system but it's still a bit feeble

Steve

Steve, I'm currently in the process of doing exactly this and will be replacing as many rubbers as I can afford. My car has had lots of paint prior to my ownership but has never been pulled apart and this is causing a headache for my painter as the wings are proving a pain to remove. I would add at least 50% to any quoted time frame as there are loads of things that could crop up, at least that is what I have experienced. Good luck! :thumb:

If headliner needs replacing or dashboard needs recovering then it should be done whilst windows are still out.

Make sure they know how to refit the sunroof properly.

If wheels & tyres are good then best to get a spare crap set for the few months the car will be standing in the workshop.

Make sure you get OE or very good quality aftermarket rubber trim.

Depending on condition your light clusters & rear strip might need replacing or sorting.

Basically when you have a fresh paint job other bits of the car that were looking ok will now look shabby.

Thank you all for the advice.

I've made a list of the jobs that you recommended and checked it against the car.

I'm now feeling a lot more confident about the process :)

I do agree the rear lights and reflectors should be changed but they are very pricey, I may have to try one of the film kits on eBay unit funds allow a full new set.

Cheers fellas

Steve

kp964 said:
Where would you advise getting a new 964 windscreen from ? , mine is going in for paint in November , its in a bad condition so ill replace it , anywhere in particular recommended ?? cheers

Just picked up on this but there's a guy called 'Fuch' on RL (not sure if he's on here) who I think can supply windcreens or knows a source :dont know:

As Zingari says, Mark (Fuch) should be able to source / make one for you.

He is on here Zingers, he had the baltic blue 964 at the event at Gaydon

Steve,

Just sharing a few thoughts from my recent experience, as I'm sure Mr Ghengis is also experiencing as he is in the same body shop straight after me.

~ It may take much longer than you think

~ It may be considerably more expensive than you think

~ Get other things done whilst you can i.e. window rubbers etc

~ What you can see before the paint comes off is probably what the skipper of the Titanic saw, the tip of the iceberg.

~ It will be worth it

The time and money may depend on the deal you do with your body shop. I predicted what might happen and planned accordingly so came away unsurprised at the final result so all is well that ends well in my case but it could have been very different.

Cheers

Steve

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back