Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2nd car

effy

Spa-Francorchamps
How many of you have got 2nd cars they use in general, and the Porsche stays nice and snug in the garage keeping the miles down? I'm contemplating do a similar thing next month, buying something cheap to smoke around in for the winter, but a part of me is also thinking will this be a waste of time, and money? Will it be as cost effective as keeping the miles off the Porsche so I get more money at resale? It's an early Gen 2 covered 45k since new, it's a December 08, or will I be wasting my money with the extra tax and Insurance, and wear and tear parts. Advice needed guys.

Unless you are doing monster miles it probably isn't worth doing it for resale. I do it as I like to drive different cars, and the car I want for a dull commute to work is different to what I would want for a Sunday morning blast around the lanes. Not driving a particular car makes it feel more special when I do. So I do do it, but not for those reasons.

MC

A second car for general snotting around has always been a must for me.

To cover all bases I've always had an estate car which are generally available for far less £££s than the equivalent saloon/hatch.

There's an awful lot of apparently 'ordinary' cars around for a few grand that will do a great job for you as a second car during the winter months. If you go for the bigger engined variants they normally cost far less to buy and even if the mpg is poor the cost per year ends up being about the same.

Mine is a 09 Gen 2 with 32k miles currently. It was my only car and I added 8k miles in first 8 months. After the 3rd time it was bashed in a car park (feont number plate dented, doored and big scuff on rear bumper) I decided to get a second car.

I ended up getting an old Audi a3 1.6 auto for £800 that I use for my daily commute, leaving at the train station and taking crap to the tip. I love it because everytime I'm driving home from the office I look at the mileage going up on wasted journeys knowing that the 911 is tucked up nice and safely in the garage. I no longer worry that my car is getting bashed up while parked and dont mind driving and A3 because i know the Porsche is there.

If I'd had a bigger budget at the time i probably would have got a mini cooper.

The 911 comes out on sunny days and for certain days out and I get to enjoy the driving more. I find a get the wow feeling nearly every time its driven.

The cost of the second car is minimum because I paid cash, Insurance and tax are less expensive then a smart repair on the 911 paint work! I also spend less on fuel each month as I'm using the cheap stuff and getting better mpg. I'll probably sorn the Porsche for a couple of months over winter saving another £100+ which go towards the tax on the Audi.

I'd say do it!

I have toyed with the option of a second car so many times and I just keep coming back to the same place , I brought the 997 to enjoy Porsche 911 ownership and drive the car , I have had mine for 3 years done 40K plus miles and love every second behind the wheel, the resale value is not why I brought the car was never a consideration and the fact these cars don't depreciate like most other cars was just a bonus I was not aware of until long after I brought it. I fully intend to drive the car until the wheels fall off or until the SWMBO is not looking and I can upgrade to a turbo. :thumb: :grin:
That said we do have my wifes 4x4 for trips to the dump, beach, etc.

We currently have 3 cars, my 996, Lexus which is the family car (her daily) and a Nissan Xtrail which is the run here n there sling all the ol crap in the back truck. All 3 are used weekly

I also have 3 cars as per my sig. All serve a different purpose all get a lot of use.
Golf was new at Christmas and has just hit 14.5k as its the work hack. For work my car has to be a max of 4 years old and a CO2 limit. For that reason new is easiest especially with the mile I rack up. Work even give me a fuel card for my personal car.
Discovery, mainly wife's car but we had an 07 plate which was worth 10k last year been great but just at the point where we either needed to sell it or run it in to the ground. As its the family car and I work away a fair bit we chopped in the old one and went brand new. Again no hassle wanted and got to spec it also. Also the depreciation on a new was similar to 2nd so full warranty and not MOT was another bonus. Just hit 11,000 since last September.
Then there is the turbo. Supposed to be a fun place to keep some savings until we need them, have now done 14,000 miles since last April. So small upgrades will just finish it off but absolutely love it. Truly my dream car, wife not fussed but daughter loves it as much as me.

As you might be able to tell I rack up the miles but cars are for driving and each serve a purpose. Afraid I can't help with a cheap second car but by mixing it up keeps the appreciation for the 911 high. Plus work aren't too keen on me using the Porsche.

My wife has a company car and I have my old Land Rover to smoke about in (quite literally) so that works well for me.

The 911 is my time which I really look forward to and as I've been a good boy and done all my jobs today I'll be heading out nice and early in the morning for a run . :driving:

I have the 997 turbo as my daily runner. 16k miles a year, sun rain or snow. I would love to have an old banger to use during the week to reduce the mileage on my 997 but I tried this before and the Insurance, tax, mot, running costs of even an old £500 banger made it uneconomical.

The wifes got her own car which she uses for work etc and so we tend to use that when we go out shopping or taking the kids about etc. so at least my 997 isnt subjected to supermarket carparks very often.

964 for garage queen, Euro tours and trackdays

996 cab for sunny days and summer use daily.

Cayenne Turbo S for wet days, trips to the tip, long boring motorway journeys.

Just waiting for my 997 Turbo S to complete the set.

PeterS said:

:grin:

PeterS said:

All very sensible.
MC

PeterS said:

What would be the Turbo S's job :?:

T8 said:
PeterS said:

What would be the Turbo S's job :?:

The point here is not to try to justify any cars. He doesn't have one, he wants one, that is justification enough :D

MC

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GT3161
Back