Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Pay to Activate Tracker ?

Curious2

Trainee
Taking delivery of new 911 next month. Insurance Company don't require tracker. Should I pay annual fee to activate tracker. What are risks of theft with all the other standard systems active i.e. Alarm, Immobiliser, steering lock etc. I live in a rural area with very low crime rate. What are your thoughts as I know trackers are a hassle as well as the ongoing cost.

It might be internet chinese whispers but I heard that if you have a tracker fitted but no subscription in place and your car gets stolen, you simply notify the Police it has a tracker, the Police ring the tracker company and they are obliged to activate it and locate the car.

Otherwise they are withholding info from the Police or something.

My 996 has a tracker with lapsed subscription - I left it in there for this reason.

don't bother unless it's an incredibly rare model - if it get nicked (and probably thrashed) do you really want it back?

Depends how risk averse you are. Interesting that your Insurance company are not insisting that your tracker is activated.

911's do not get stolen very often.

badlands said:
don't bother unless it's an incredibly rare model - if it get nicked (and probably thrashed) do you really want it back?

:agree: You could buy one of those that activates on a SIM card for c£50 if you really wanted one.

You're more at risk with a A45 AMG, RS4 et al and then you usually get a night visit by a couple of ballied up types with bats to apply some 'compliance techniques' to get the keys off you. Being in a rural location makes you worse off as the 'gang' will do their homework first :what:

Zingari said:
You're more at risk with a A45 AMG, RS4 et al

What he said, and Beemers, Range Rovers, Discos, MB Sprinters and Ford Transits, and hatches....but not often 911's.

pzero said:
Zingari said:
You're more at risk with a A45 AMG, RS4 et al

What he said, and Beemers, Range Rovers, Discos, MB Sprinters and Ford Transits, and hatches....but not often 911's.

Perhaps the more clued up perps have gotten wise to the fact that every UK spec 911 since the 997.1 has had a tracker as standard and there isn't really any way for them to know whether it is active (i.e. whether they would need to find and take the VTS widget or not, should they be pinching the keys)?

To answer the OP's question - I certainly wouldn't have it active were it not for my insurer requiring it. The annual subscription is ridiculous and if it were pinched by a pro to order they would jam the GSM module in the car until they could locate and disable it, rendering it pointless anyway.

When I had the RS6, I did quite like the comfort of the tracker, and it was very effective without being intrusive. As you say, if they really want it, they'll nick it.

Its one of the elements, that its a complete waste of money, unless you actually have the unfortunate event, where you need it. Am surprised they don't need, as normally it pretty default over a value of £60k threshold.

I thought the trackers were void nowadays as the thieves use a GPS jammer in the cigarette lighter. It was on TV a few months back, with an investigation program similar to 'The Tonight ' show with Julie Etchingham.

Honestly, I wouldn't, in fact I cancelled it on my car. They are now a bit useless and can be activated if the car is stolen.

Tom

Ran a few quotations on the comparison sites, then clicked on the 'edit details ' then 'no tracking device ' and it made no difference to the quotes.

So the moral of the story is, don't click the tracker fitted option (unless you have it activated with prescription) as it's just something for the Insurance company to come back and deny in a claim.

The tracker subscription was more than my premium, so thanks - but no thanks. Insurance not interested in the tracker either.

Carrying that fob alone would drive me nuts.

Ironically, out of intrigue i went on my current car Insurance quotation, as i haven't ordered yet for my car... i removed that it had a tracker and the premium reduced by £100!? how random is that.

Insurance companies are loving me buying a new 911 for 20,000+ miles a year.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spider69
Back