Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Help needed 996 or 997

Jonnywise

Hi all

I've got my search down to a C4s but I'm still undecided 996-997 ?

Any advice ?

Jonny

The engine and drive train are basically the same although the 997 is 200cc bigger so it comes down to whether you prefer (1) the more classic interior over the better quality newer one and (2) the exterior looks of either.

For most 911 fans the 996C4S has already achieved a place in the 'great looking 911s of all time' hall-of-fame. I doubt that the 997C4S ever will.

As a car to own and drive I'd normally go for the newer car but I couldn't live with additional paranoia that the 997.1 'S' engine would bring me.

At the end of the day only YOU can decide.

Good Luck :thumb:

Condition, mileage, service history, receipts, and a inspection report would all direct me to my final choice. Ultimately you have to make your own decisions, but they're both 911's and will both get you from A to B.

Hope you make the right right choice, I like both have 997 & 996 so I'd base my decision on my opening sentence.

Good luck :thumb:

MNC911 said:
Condition, mileage, service history, receipts, and a inspection report would all direct me to my final choice. Ultimately you have to make your own decisions, but they're both 911's and will both get you from A to B.

Hope you make the right right choice, I like both have 997 & 996 so I'd base my decision on my opening sentence.

Good luck :thumb:

:agree:

If you can test drive both, I wasn't in the position to consider a 997, newer and fresher styling yes but some prefer the steering feel and interior of the 996 :thumb:

Surely there is a significant difference in price too - and that should play a part!

My preference - 997!

i think the 997 is far better looking than the 996 although i do like both.

Jonnywise said:
I'm still undecided manual/auto ?

Again, only YOU can decide what suits YOU.

What's your car ownership history Jonny' :?:

The biggest things worth noting with the cars in mind are:

The 3.8 997 engine has more chance of bore scoring than the 3.6 996 engine. Tips suffer worse than manuals for bore scoring.

Resale value - the 996 will win hands down - future classic, unlike the 997 C4S.

Jonnywise said:
Is there any problems with the auto ?

as just stated - more chance of scored bores.

For me a 996 4s manual would be the clear choice (subject to availability) :thumb:

Just my 2 pennerh :)

jezgreen911 said:
For me a 996 4s manual would be the clear choice (subject to availability) :thumb:

Just my 2 pennerh :)

+1

I had a look at a 997 targa 4 at the weekend it was a 3.6 (not a s)

Any thoughts ?

Jonny

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golfguy11800
Back