Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

BEWARE - tyre valve dust caps made of metal..!!

John H

Last Christmas my youngest son bought me a set of 'deluxe' metal valve caps, with the Porsche logo, from 'Design 911 UK'. They are a reputable firm based in Essex... http://www.design911.co.uk/

Last Thursday I noticed, on the TPMS display, that my rear left tyre pressure was dropping and, sure enough, I'd picked up a puncture. I drove straight to my nearest OPC to arrange a replacement...

They couldn't remove the valve caps as they'd become welded to the valve itself!! Obviously, having TPMS, I rarely remove the caps to check pressures manually and this was the reason for the metal welding together! The cost to remove caps and valves and to replace was £108, on top of the £309 for a new tyre...

I phoned 'Design 911 UK' to complain and they offered me a discount on future purchases - which is something I suppose, but I also suggested that they add a warning to this item on their web-site - which they have subsequently done.

The moral of this is - stay with the plastic ones, especially if you have TPMS...

common problem I'm afraid and not really Design911's fault so I think they did a good thing offering you a discount on future purchases.
It's due to galvanic corrosion between the two different metal types between the valve stem and the cap.
If you use a little ACF50 spray or corrosion block grease on the threads when you put them on, you won't have any issues.

Had the same issue years ago on a track day, stupid metal cap had fused to the valve. Never again, plain black plastic for me.

Always, always use the cheapest crappiest plastic caps you can get your hands on :thumb:

No corrosion, you don't mind mullering them if needed, and no-one ever wants to steal them :grin:

If you do come across this problem do not try to undo using a spanner etc otherwise you will just tear off the valve stem (its soft aluminium)!

In the first case try to use a lighter to heat the cap slightly, obviously avoiding damage to the paint on the wheel. It can be just enough to break the bond.

It might also help to tap it a few times to again try and break the bond.

If no success then drive to someone who can rectify by having spare valves, tyre equipment etc. Otherwise you will be stranded!

the chrome plated ? metal type valve caps with the Porsche crest are specifically NOT to be used with TPM for this reason
The equipment brochure used to specifically state this, and any Porsche parts dept will tell you / ask you when you order them.

Porsche now do 2 types of crested caps for TPM equipped cars, with a black or silver finish and are made out of plastic

Copper Slip might be a good in this application :?:

The day I bought my Range Rover , went to add some air to rear wheel .
Ripped the TPMS stem out due to this !
Had the car about 30mins, and there I am jacking a 2.5 tonne beast up on petrol station forecourt :frustrated:

I hate the bloody stupid things .. why fit them ? do they really look that good ?

I service a car and cant even do the tyre pressures , use pliers and youll spin the valve at best , worst is it will split , hitting , heat .. nothing is that effective .

Wheel has to come off , break the bead .. hold tyre down and fit a new valve .. for the sake of a metal cap with a tiny porsche logo .. grrr

If anyone has them .. remove them and bin them please .. it will make my life a lot easier .. rant over :)

Had exactly the same problem (non-TPMS) on an Audi R8 using Audi approved/supplied dust caps.

Only had the caps on for about 2 months, and to my horror the caps were literally welded on. :sad: Amazing the speed of galvanic corrosion!!

Was absolutely bricking it as I gripped the tyre valves with one set of vice grips and the caps with another set of vice grips. Managed to get them all off without marking the tyre valves too much. £25 of official Audi caps were dumped in the bin.

Perfect example of an expensive product simply not fit for purpose. :frustrated:

:eek: great info thread
off in the morning to buy some ACF50 spray thanks for the heads up :thumb: :thumb: :grin:

Looked hi and lo....where do you buy the silver plastic ones that are OE on tpms? Not crested...please..

Being far more stylish than Stu black plastic just wont cut it...

The gen 1 997 with Tpm is not suitable for the chrome plated valve caps
The gen 2 cars can be fitted with the recently introduced plastic crested caps and 991/ 981

askgeez said:
The day I bought my Range Rover , went to add some air to rear wheel .
Ripped the TPMS stem out due to this !
Had the car about 30mins, and there I am jacking a 2.5 tonne beast up on petrol station forecourt :frustrated:

Feel your pain there fella!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back