Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anybody considered a 718

wilpert

Indianapolis
Just wondered if anybody out there has considered one of the new 718's or has one on order.
When we we start seeing them on the roads?

I know there has been some negative comments about them but it would be interesting to get some reviews and feedback from new owners of the model when they do hit the forecourts.

Also wondering if Brexit will hit car sales here and be a nail in the coffin for new model sales but perhaps save that for another thread.

But it's only got 4 cylinders, no thanks.................................................................................. :?

Shurv said:
But it's only got 4 cylinders, no thanks.................................................................................. :?

Yeah, that :yeah: Would probably leave the marque before buying 4 cylinders, any car can be fast these days but it's the soul that matters most to people like us. Clearly 944s etc are an exception to the rule. :grin:

Well didn't you (Wilpert) consider the 718 before your 981 purchase? I was following your threads on here a couple of months before I bought my own 981.

I certainly considered the 718 and it was a close call. There are a number of upgrades in the 718 that I would have liked, such as improved infotainment, more direct steering, even better handling. Looks wise I like both about equally, though I'm not keen on the 718 side vents, they spoil the look somewhat for me.

Ultimately for me I could get a high spec one year old 981 S for the same price as a 718 low spec base. I have no regrets on the decision, even without the PSE that engine sound is a joyful thing that I dont think I would want to give up.

greenman1 said:
Well didn't you (Wilpert) consider the 718 before your 981 purchase? I was following your threads on here a couple of months before I bought my own 981.

I certainly considered the 718 and it was a close call. There are a number of upgrades in the 718 that I would have liked, such as improved infotainment, more direct steering, even better handling. Looks wise I like both about equally, though I'm not keen on the 718 side vents, they spoil the look somewhat for me.

Ultimately for me I could get a high spec one year old 981 S for the same price as a 718 low spec base. I have no regrets on the decision, even without the PSE that engine sound is a joyful thing that I dont think I would want to give up.

Yes, I did consider the 718 but I was really out looking for a used high spec 981 and had certain criteria that I wanted. I think the 718s look pretty sharp but I don't think they are going to be a big seller unless Porsche come up with some big finance incentives.
I needed up with a new 981 s because the spec was really good and the price was discounted really well.

I love all about it and have no regrets, I'm 11 weeks and over 3000 miles in and spend a lot of the time top down radio off.

I'll be considering the 718 Spyder - if they make one and it adopts a flat 6.

TBH, I'd probably have been on Renlist or a dedicated Box/man forum if I hadn't started with a 911 and didn't know 911uk embraced all of Porsche's products as well as the 911.

Anyhow, I'm not sure how long it was from launch to the first 911uk member running a 981, but I'd guess a similar delay.

tim993 said:
I'll be considering the 718 Spyder - if they make one and it adopts a flat 6.

TBH, I'd probably have been on Renlist or a dedicated Box/man forum if I hadn't started with a 911 and didn't know 911uk embraced all of Porsche's products as well as the 911.

Anyhow, I'm not sure how long it was from launch to the first 911uk member running a 981, but I'd guess a similar delay.

Agreed re the Spyder although thats a bit of a cheat - like its a hybrid-718 body n bits (which I like) plus 981 engine (which I also like).
I reckon one of those could be a good investment though if you had the money to risk and kept the car for sunny weekends.

Wouldnt work for me as my car is a daily driver.

Yes, I would seriously consider a 718 Boxster. I have now had one short drive and 2 extended drives in a Boxster S . One of these drives was during a Porsche open day so was able to drive back to back with a new 2S 911.

It is a proper rorty, responsive sports car. It is so easy to drive very very quickly, and when combined with the PDK box, has fantastic mid range surge. It is an exciting car to drive. True, the aural experience isn't as good, but at speed the 718 with sports exhaust sounds pretty good. Impressed with the sharp steering and the way the car rides rough surfaces. The infotainment tech has moved on a lot and the Sports + controls are much easier to operate.

Haven't driven it back to back with a 981, but driven in isolation, it goes like stink!! The 911 is much less 'immediate' when driven back to back, a touch softer in its responses, a bit quieter, so didn't get the same level of excitement as driving the 718. As I say, the feeling of real sports car.

The flat 6 is no longer available, will struggle to meet future regulator emissions and consumption requirements and, most important, will struggle to create more useable and refined power delivery. Smaller engined Turbo / hybrid is the future for useable power.

I think it will sell well for Porsche. The trade are predicting that the 718 will retain more of its value after 3 years than the 981 which is interesting!!

However, as a petrolhead, I am finding i am finding it very hard to decide. A 981 spyder looks very tempting now that their prices have settled down. I'll probably wait to see what a GTS version of the 718 looks like before deciding.

718 - Just drive it !

I have ordered a Cayman 718S with probable delivery in last quarter of 2016.
Have driven Both Boxster 718S with PDK and manual 718. Neither cars had PSE as none of the demo cars have this. Whilst the noise was not as good as the 981 it was by no means that bad and will sound better with PSE which I have specified.
I have also previously driven a Cayman 981s.
Both cars drive very well with the S being very rapid.
Whilst I can understand owners of 981's being put off by the change I can only suggest that they drive the cars before passing judgement. I have spoken to a number of 981 owners who have ordered 718 Boxster/Cayman after driving the Boxster S.
As with any change you have to look at the positives and negatives and weigh them up based on personal preference. Going forward we have to accept that this is the age of the turbo and downsizing is a fact of life just look at BMW and Ferrari etc. Tightening emission rules and the need for more power in the manufacturers ' arms race ' are a fact of life. For me the number of cylinders is not important, I had a 944 ,was that a bad car because it only had 4 cylinders? What is important is how the car performs and the Boxster S does this superbly well offering much more low down torque and power with a very sweet chassis. Unfortunately some of the motoring press who do not own and drive these cars every day seem to want to make a story of one aspect of the car. Surprisingly The Pistonheads review of the CaymanS is the most balanced.

That last looks superb👍

Now if the 718 Soyder arrives looking 'like that and some' plus 2 extra cylinders then I am in :thumbs:

I have to say that Autocar have kind of got over the 4 cylinder turbo thing and are very clear on how well the new Boxster and Cayman drive. They appear to be exemplary in all areas of ride and handling. That is both good news and kind-of expected (Porsche do their best not to regress).

Give them time and folk will realise the same with the 982 as they did with the 981 that Porsche makes a better affordable 2-seat sportscar than anyone else.

tim

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back