Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

981 coolant leak

rangerst

I got a 12 plate Boxster 981 2.7 Manual for the better half and she likes it, we have had the car 10 months and its done about 15k in total, just 1k with us. She drives down the road an gets orange then red coolant warning, the Porsche assist (AA) guy manages to get the cap off after a fight and adds 300ml of water.... should be OK he says, just a hot day. two days later she comes back to the car and the red stuff is running out from under it, so its trailered to West Byfleet where a 'broken coolant pipe' (really sherlock) is diagnosed and after a week of 'should be done in a day or two', its now waiting to have the engine dropped to replace the pipe 'by the end of the week'. They are offering to do the 4yr major at 10% off and the brake fluid change at £95 while it has its engine out - is that a good deal? Fairly happy we got a porsche approved used car, not so happy about Merc E220 barge, but brings fond memories of a LeMans trip where my mates 911 clutch went and he got an S-class replacement - never had so much room for beer, wines and cheese on the trip!

:dont know: :?

I went to West Byfleet on Saturday and had a look at the car on the ramp (and a few others in the showroom). Wayne was there and introduced the mech who was doing the work and they explained what had happened.

A plastic pipe runs from water pump up the front of the engine had broken and then the seal on the new one needed replacing (why not do both at once?) - anyone seen that before, is it a known issue?

All done under Warranty, engine out and back in (twice), added a service and brake fluid change for menu price less 10% (easy with the engine out) and delivered it back on a truck to home, nice and clean. My other half very happy to have it back and says its all good.

So, fairly positive about the W.Byfleet guys, and they do seem to keep some interesting stock......

Firstly you need to drive the car more, 1k in 10 month !! ( not that that should be any cause for this failure).

When you say a plastic pipe I assume you mean a rubber high pressure water pipe? Wouldn't have thought you should have a plastic pipe on the high pressure system.

I guess anything can fail in theory, but I would think this is designed to,last 20 + years without any interim maintenance.

new problem

Yes, I agree she should drive it more and that has happened recently. Took it for two new rears at 210 each for 265/35 by 20 Pzero/N0 and MOT last Friday and it failed. Mr MOT at Formula One Farnborough pointed out loose upper rear subframe bolts. Back to Byfleet and riding a Macan for a few days while they source new bolts and fit correctly I hope this time..... not so happy they didn't do that right.

Re: new problem

rangerst said:
Mr MOT at Formula One Farnborough pointed out loose upper rear subframe bolts. Back to Byfleet..... not so happy they didn't do that right.

That could have caused a catastrophic accident rangerst, I would be crucifying the OPC and at the very least getting a refund for the service and brake fluid change :nooo:

The reason that they have to fit new bolts is because the subframe has been moving around and has damaged the threads on the original bolts..................imagine that at very high speeds :judge:

Your better half is lucky to still be alive :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drthein
Back