Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Brake Squeal

DRZ911

Mugello
Have an annoying brake squeal under certain conditions when the car is at low speed (5-10mph) and I brake to a dead stop in traffic or in a car park. :damn:

The noise is from the rear brakes.

No big deal really, but the OPC has now had 3 goes at fixing it, including dust cleaning, reconditioning pads and eventually replacing pads. After all this, the noise is still there and hasn't changed at all. The OPC is now saying that Porsche UK claim this is actually an inherent design characteristic and is in fact mentioned in the handbook. So in effect, they are walking away from the issue. So what is in effect a minor niggle is now becoming an issue because of how Porsche UK are trying to fob me off.

Am I over-reacting to the fact that my car sounds like a taxi pulling to a dead halt and I just have to live with it. :?:

Opinions and your experiences of such an issue are most welcome.

Just do a few really hard stops from a good 60mph or so - not enough to trigger the ABS - or put you in a ditch.

spyderman said:
Just do a few really hard stops from a good 60mph or so - not enough to trigger the ABS - or put you in a ditch.

Thanks. Car is just over 2 years old (owned since new) and 13K miles. Problem only started at 11K miles. Have done some hard stops on the old pads and new pads, even pulling close to 1g on the g-meter. No pad glazing or anything like that.

So far all the work has been undertaken by the OPC, but I get a feeling they may not be so forthcoming in the future.

Indeed, I've had that on previous cars.... it does happen on performance setups and a few heated runs does help. I went to MRC a few years ago and they used the M40 to truly bed everything in, took about 1,000 miles off the pads in the space of 10 minutes and it hugely helped the issue.

there is an official porsche video on their you tube channel on the issue if i remember...

any excuse to have a bit of fun in your car ;)

I have the same issue on my 2012 991. 19k and only bought it 3 weeks ago so has just gone through the 111 point check at OPC.

Is this something that they would look at under the warranty??

Cheers

In reality, only if a part has failed or been fitted incorrectly...

6appeal said:
In reality, only if a part has failed or been fitted incorrectly...

That's what I thought. It's booked in soon for a few issues in any case start/stop and PDC issues so i may aswell ask them.

It is a little embarrassing to be honest. I hear many performance cars daily, none of which squeal like mine so I can't really accept that it is just a characteristic of the car.

Cheers

In my 3 visits to date for warranty, the car has now had 4 days total in the workshop.

OPC now referring me to the get-out paragraph in the handbook which says ...
"Certain speeds, brakes forces and ambient conditions (e.g. temperature and humidity) can therefore cause the brakes to squeal."

What a cop-out and a load of tosh. :nooo:

Will keep pushing the matter until a proper fix or explanation is offered.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back