Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

SL55 AMG

MisterCorn

I am thinking of getting one. Expect it to be a big heavy brute with great sound. Not a sports car, more a convertible GT. They seem like good value at the moment, I don't expect great driving dynamics from MB but do expect fantastic quality. Any experiences?

MC

MisterCorn said:
I am thinking of getting one. Expect it to be a big heavy brute with great sound. Not a sports car, more a convertible GT. They seem like good value at the moment, I don't expect great driving dynamics from MB but do expect fantastic quality. Any experiences?

MC

Had an 2005 SL500 years ago and very much as you have said your expecting big V8 brute and a nice cruiser, well made,
I had mine remapped by DMS that made a decent difference and also you can get the 3 setting ride height control mapped so it sits lower on the lowest setting which is very nice and the middle is normal ride height and the third is still high for whatever you might need it for fords or the like. the rubber seals have a habit of leaking on the steel top by the drivers/passangers window the main agents have a grease they put on to seal it, but there was always a bit of a drip from it in the rain. and you can get the smart box to put the roof up at 30 mph instead of the 15mph from the factory. solid car not many rattles and a nice V8 roar from the exhaust.
:thumb: :grin:

Only available as an auto box 2-pedal car. Not MCT.
Plenty around but can be a money pit on several points.

The later SL63 biturbo is supposed to be awesome and better box.

cheshire911 said:
Only available as an auto box 2-pedal car. Not MCT.
Plenty around but can be a money pit on several points.

The later SL63 biturbo is supposed to be awesome and better box.

I used to have an S500 and I know how they can be expensive to fix. I am sure the biturbo SL63 is fantastic, but then you are comparing a £17k car to a £56k car. I am looking for something which has done most of its depreciation. I am not convinced by the NA SL63, I like the idea of all the torque from the supercharger. By the time I am looking at the later SL63 I could be in an R8 V10 spyder.

MC

I see, a car that's not got much depreciation left on it. I think at £17k the chance that you pick up a dog and money pit are high. Harbour Cars was selling one for £30k+ with 50k miles. I think a decent budget is more like £22k-£25k for a really good example - but you obviously know better as you are looking at the market. I'm just commenting on my MB main dealer when I was talking to them about the SL55 AMG back in May/June when my car was in at the dealership.

The auto box would put me off - as it does with many other similar category cars such as Jag XKR. The Jag is cheap and plenty of good example out there. But again, auto box.

The SL55 AMG is at the bottom of the curve on values, but plenty around, so prices not really going up (or going up at an appreciable rate) but could be good fun as a grand tourer for a trip to Europe.

Prices start from around £13k. £18k gets you a car with around 70k miles and a good history in good condition. I would ideally prefer a manual, but there aren't many cars of this type which have a manual box. I am also looking at the F1 pace car pack as being a good option to have on the car, a nice 2007 car with this option and 40k miles is around £35k. I think there is a fair chance they will hold some value.

I am open to suggestions for other models in a similar vein. The XKR is cheap but not a huge fan of the looks and as you say there is the same gearbox issue. It would be used for cruising rather than as sports car, particularly for driving on the continent where I think an SL55 would excel on the autobahn. Vantage convertible is available as a manual, but not sure it fits the bill as a continent crossing bruiser.

MC

I've been looking at Maserati prices. Low £30k seems to get a good 2002 car manual box and 40k miles. Cheap price tor that seductive Italian V8 growl.

I was after a Ferrari 360 2-3 years back when a good manual box car could be had for low £50k. Prices have climbed to put it out of reach now for me because I don't want to sell my Turbo.

Were you looking into a V12 Ferrari not long back? Maybe a Mazza?

Now Maserati, different market altogether. If you get a good at the top end of a budget they are pretty reliable I'm led to believe. But its not a Porsche. Its different. Its Italian.

I was looking at a V12 Ferrari. I decided against it for the same reason as you. What was a £85k car is now £115k. I have sorted myself a big coupe but thought a big bruiser of a convertible would be fun too. I am selling two cars, so it makes sense to buy two. If I had gone with the Ferrari if would have been just the one. Tom Hartley has a 2007 SL55 AMG with the F1 pace car pack which sounds great. I might see if I can view it this week.
Maserati sounds like a nice option. I might take a look but I am pretty partial to MB build quality.

MC

MisterCorn said:

MC

MC,

I have one ,a 2004 model , Obsidian black, purchased in 2006 with 12k on the clock....now at 27k ..
Spot on with your summation and expectations......it is all of these but also more....
It is quite a nimble car in capable hands of someone who understands how to balance a 2 ton car.....it is a knack to be learned , but I can imagine by your previous posts that you are in that mode...

Main positive points (IMHO)

1. Timeless style of the overall bodywork package and absolute quality of external materials.
2. Absolutely phenomenal aural pleasure of the 5.5l V8 at full chat....sounds like a Merlin aero engine from inside when the pedal is planted ...it just goes and goes and doesn't want to stop...I could watch the tacho needle all day...its mesmerising ...( road permitting of course)
3. Cockpit area is very ergonomic and comfortable seats , the look
Like your armchair but are very comfortable ( I did Stuttgart to Cumbria, very rapidly also,in one drive and got out of the car as if it had been my armchair !)
4. I believe that a good one will become a relative classic when all the wheat and chaff is sorted out in a few years.......maybe not making massive money but will have been a relative cheap ownership proposition.
5. I always look forward to getting my car out for a drive , it was my DD for a while .I Never get out of it without looking her over and admiring the beautiful shape and style.....
6. Servicing is relatively cheap if looked on as a long term ownership cost. There have been expensive ones along the way but on average it's not beyond my expectations.
I have used MB to maintain the service history and breakdown coverage , and they have been excellent when required.

Negative points

1. At the present age these cars may show up the odd component breakdown..
I had a fuel pump control unit give up on me last year and MB could offer a replacement part at that time as the OEM supplier had gone out of business completely... I tried worldwide to get a preplacement with almost no luck until good old E bay brought one up in the US of A ! MB fitted it for me ( and refunded me the cost! as a courtesy..

I had
ASC damper at 12k miles(1400£ ) FOC from MB

Air flow meter at 15k

Brake discs and pads all round mainly due to in frequent use...

Current drain faults at one point resulted in a strip down off all earth points of the 27 ECU's to get to an acceptable level as the batteries were draining.

4 new batteries in my ownership, now resolved by attaching CTek chargers at any lay down period .....

The original turbine spoke alloys have corroded a bit and require a refurb ... Going to do that soon... Graphite grey instead of the original high gloss and lacquer finish ....

The entertainment system pre facelift are a bit basic and show their age now , maybe I will upgrade to newer version..

But my love for the car endures, while I have always changed my Porsches to accommodate my latest whim.... The SL has endured ...why? I'm not sure but now it's part of me......I guess because it is one on the classics really.......

Good luck if you decide to buy , get a good one an I don't think that you will be disappointed though.....on the test drive open her up and keep your foot in .... You will love the sound ....!

Terry

I have put down a deposit on a 2007 MY car with the F1 Pace Car kit. Currently on 47k miles. The interior was like new and it drove beautifully. It has the 2 (or 3?) piece wheels which have some corrosion on the inside so they are being refurbed, it also has the keyless go and panoramic roof. Black with black leather. It looks the business. I'm a happy boy :D

MC

Nice MC 👍

MisterCorn said:
I have put down a deposit on a 2007 MY car with the F1 Pace Car kit. Currently on 47k miles.

A classic case of doubling the budget you were first thinking of. :floor:

Have you sold something or is this a.n other :?:

Either way :thumbs:

MC,
Congrats on the purchase, the F1 pace car spec is a good upgrade....47k ..it's still like new !
What colour is it?

The wheels are split rims With Allen bolts type?, these are nice on the car and were shared with the SL63 also.....nice though....

I hope we see the pics up once she is in your hands...

All the best ....
Terry

Black on black with split rims. A couple of photos I took on the test drive.

MC

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back