Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 front bumper - Need help from anybody who has had it off

Satch

You naughty lot.

I'm in the process of doing a GT3 front bumper conversion for my C2s.

I'm getting all the parts together, but having a little trouble figuring something out. If you take a look at this video i have made, it will explain it a lot easier than me trying to type it.

In a nutshell though, need to figure out how the upper mesh (right below the boot lid) & plastic mount is held onto the bumper from the underside.

On the mount, there are lots of holes for screws, but nowhere for the screws to 'screw into'on the bumper.

Here is the video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWOfkgUjL34

I appreciate that absolutely nobody might be able to help me, i have spoken to the people i bought the bumper from (tiele) and the mounts/fixings (9apart) but nobody can help.

All parts i am using are genuine Porsche parts. I did it this way to make my life a lot easier. In actual fact the easiest thing to do would have been to buy a GT3 and take away my children's pocket money.

Have you tried looking at the online parts catalogue that shows schematics of the Porsche disassembeled as I am sure that will give you the answer. Personally I would guess that maybe something sits on the top of the PU/bumper that your part attaches to but looking at 991 GT3 pictures it seems to be clean on top.

PET seems to be the way to work it out.

Pip :?:

I can't imagine many people have tried a front end 991 conversion yet. If I was in the same boat I'd call up OPC parts depts to get their thoughts. I'd try different OPCs as the level of helpfulness to this problem may differ (understandably, they'll in the main try and get you to book in so they can fix it). I'd start with Byfleet/ Brooklands as from experience they're generally very helpful. Good luck!

Otherwise, I agree with Pip, PET is your friend

Thanks all. Ive looked at the diagrams but they show no additional parts that are needed, which made things more confusing.

I think ive figured it out though, ive attached 2 images which ive managed to get hold of from another seller who is selling a gt3 front bumper. It clearly shows the bracket which the mesh attached too. The bracket though, has the same porsche part number as the actual gt3 front bumper, which leads me to believe it is supposed to be a part of the bumper, and not a part that can be bought.

Ive taken this up with the seller (tiele.com) and hopefully we can come to a resolution, but unless they can provide me with the part the whole thing is going back to Germany.

Hi Allister,

I wonder if there is a basic issue here?

In your video you say that the mount fits behind the opening. Is it not the case that the mount actually pushes into the opening from the front?

I may be completely barking up the wrong tree but worth checking?

I'm happy to pop over and have a look one night if you think it would help. Failing that, have a look at a GT3 (perhaps Peter Richardson's at Spennymoor?) or ask Mike at JCT where another car is to look at?

PM me if contact details will help.

Cheers, Keith.

jkeith said:
Hi Allister,

I wonder if there is a basic issue here?

In your video you say that the mount fits behind the opening. Is it not the case that the mount actually pushes into the opening from the front?

I may be completely barking up the wrong tree but worth checking?

I'm happy to pop over and have a look one night if you think it would help. Failing that, have a look at a GT3 (perhaps Peter Richardson's at Spennymoor?) or ask Mike at JCT where another car is to look at?

PM me if contact details will help.

Cheers, Keith.

Thanks Keith. I've figured it out though, unfortunately though i am no further forward.

It turns out there IS definitely a mount missing which should come as standard with the bumper. From what i can see, it should be plastic welded on to the inside of the bumper.

This then allows my mesh and long plastic part (as you saw in the vid) to be screwed into the missing mount.

Here is a pic from another bumper of the missing piece, hard to see i know, but at least i now know what is missing.

Trouble is, this in not a part that can be bought from Porsche, it comes with the bumper and as such id need to buy another bumper....

The project is throwing a few curveballs, but i'm determined. Sadly it will not be done for any of the upcoming meets. But thats ok, i'd rather take my time and do it right..

I ended up sending that bumper back to the supplier, it caused me nothing but headache. A replacement arrived the other day and now it is fitted.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back