Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Coating for magnesium transmission case

Cloris

I have the pleasure of servicing a 912E type 923 transmission (essentially a 915) that appears to have been well loved and maintained but never opened in its 39 years of life. Question as to the product used to protect its exterior from corrosion, which I am considering reapplying.
What is the original coating material used? Cosmoline, Tectyl, or ?
What's the best way to remove 39-year-old coating, which has turned into pretty hard, black material? My parts washer is making slow progress.
What's the consensus on reapplying -- how important is it for a car that doesn't see snow and salt?

聲寶服務站

I`d be careful with a magnesium gearbox case, they are usually pressure impregnated with a sealant to stop the porosity emptying the oil on the floor :thumb:

Ask me how I know, lol, I machined a load of them for the original Mclaren F1 many years ago and they had not been pressure impregnated.................Mclaren customers were not too happy with their £1million cars after a few weeks :nooo:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back