Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

A quick G50 question

CarreraMonkey

Hi folks

Looking to get a 3.2 carrera to go in the garage with our water cooled cars. I'm aware that the g50 gear box is the one to have and that it was introduced in '87 but is that manufacturing year or delivery year?

Looking at a car registered in '86 and want to know if it's likely to have a g50 or 915 box.

Thanks for your assistance.

Monkey

Cars built from September 1986 onward received the more user-friendly G50 gearbox. Personally I'd buy the best condition Carrera out there for your budget and not worry about whether its a G50 or a 915. More important to avoid rust bucket, gearbox rebuild and or engine rebuild :thumbs:

Carrera

:thumb:

Attachments

• thumb_fvnpypv03heyviaqz3r3kuu0m8knaurn4nqpzlfl1oaampb0nhmpljll8zryw39wj42dtiuojpnwv5ojbuf898_1...jpg
    thumb_fvnpypv03heyviaqz3r3kuu0m8knaurn4nqpzlfl1oaampb0nhmpljll8zryw39wj42dtiuojpnwv5ojbuf898_1...jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 14,740
  • 7jtjfzkxzvyq0vriwmzhznzknscptxv7fofb5lyqsh0u2vww6g7keqf_ajuyyckywzjola4e_n8t_2ber6x9qs_164.jpg
    7jtjfzkxzvyq0vriwmzhznzknscptxv7fofb5lyqsh0u2vww6g7keqf_ajuyyckywzjola4e_n8t_2ber6x9qs_164.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 14,740
Good advice! Was just interested to know when g50's were fitted from.

Next question....

Will 7" fronts and 9" rears Fuchs fit onto a standard bodied car? I've done some research and think they're ok, but wanted to get confirmation from someone that knows about these cars.

IMI A said:
Cars built from September 1986 onward received the more user-friendly G50 gearbox. Personally I'd buy the best condition Carrera out there for your budget and not worry about whether its a G50 or a 915. More important to avoid rust bucket, gearbox rebuild and or engine rebuild :thumbs:
Spot on. A good 915 is absolutely fine.Condition is EVERYTHING!

I ran turbo Fuchs on my SC with no issues, just watch tyre profile as some may just catch edge under full articulation of rear suspension. You could roll edge of arch if issue. Good 915 is ok but you always have to be considerate on gear change, swepco oil made improvement on mine. Had the G50 in my speedster as was much more user friendly. Agree above condition with regard to rust is everything, watch the kidney bowls. Have a look on impactbumpers.com good advice on what to look for and lots of detail on rust
Good luck great cars

915 is better than G50, a proper racers gearbox, easy to operate, you just have to think a little, they were ok for 20 years and hundreds of thousands of cars, ive tried both, and I wouldn't be buying on the type of gearbox, just whether it worked as it should.

Press the clutch fully home when changing gear and its as good as any other box.I loved mine and frankly didn't understand the fuss!

if you read the handbook, it clearly states that you should engage the clutch and wait several seconds before using reverse.

CarreraMonkey said:
Good advice! Was just interested to know when g50's were fitted from.

Next question....

Will 7" fronts and 9" rears Fuchs fit onto a standard bodied car? I've done some research and think they're ok, but wanted to get confirmation from someone that knows about these cars.

Yes the car in that pic is running 7 and 9 inch fuchs and was specced with them from the factory. Steering is much heavier but handling much improved. By that I mean its less prone to lift off oversteer and swapping ends especially in the wet. You can lean on the car hard through corners As others have said condition everything. You're much better off buying a mint car which has had everything done and paying a bit more than buying a fixer upper unless you can do the remedial work yourself. Most gearbox whether G50 or 915 you try probably need a rebuild :thumbs:

Palladium said:
if you read the handbook, it clearly states that you should engage the clutch and wait several seconds before using reverse.

I didn't know that - shows how much attention I paid to my manual, which I dug out to check.

My 120k mile old 915 box is fine now I'm used to it - the trick is to wait until its nice and warm before you try to get first while moving, and always engage gear from neutral at tickover - any revs and there will be an embarrassing crunch. On the test drive the dealer drove it first and crunched into first at the first junction. I was convinced it was knackered, but now I have the 'knack', and changing the fluid helped a lot. Adverts with 'the more desirable G50 box' just wind me up, I was talking to someone with one at Classic Le Mans, he reckoned its just a case of hydraulic clutch and more idiot proof synchros, particularly for yanks unused to manual boxes, make them more user friendly, but nothing wrong with a 915 if you know what you are doing.

As others have said, buy on condition, far more important.

or you can just touch 2nd but don't go fully in, then immediately go to reverse and it just drops in 100% of the time, you are borrowing a synchro in a way, slowing the box down and all that, reverse has no synchro I believe.

Personally why not get to know the car first... bear in mind the 3.2 Carrera does not have power steering which your later model cars have so the bigger wheels will increase the steering effort.

Speaking to a friend, he was telling me that every 915 box he's had (3 or 4) crunched going into 1st whilst moving. Is it a common problem?

I'm marginally concerned by the whole 915 thing as engine and box out so that the box can be rebuilt is inevitably costly. Or do most just live with a crunchy first?

I'm not buying the car to scream around in, I've got my regular car for that, so am wondering if I'm fussing over nothing?

The Dragonmeister said:
Personally why not get to know the car first... bear in mind the 3.2 Carrera does not have power steering which your later model cars have so the bigger wheels will increase the steering effort.

It's got cup wheels ( :? ), which I would put back to Fuchs straight away. So figured I'd stick some meats on it if I'm going that way. Could always go stock 6 & 7's and stick some spacers in I guess.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back