Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Too much choice too many products what's the best process

wilpert

I feel there are so many detailing products out there that I end up not bothering.

What I'm wanting to do is this:

Clay the paintwork to remove whatever paint sealant that Porsche applied before I collected the car.

Polish and wax

Seal.

So please can somebody tell me the correct process and what to use.
The car is in good nick only couple of months and 2.5k miles jet black metallic.

If possible id prefer to be able to buy what I need from mainstream shop aka halfords.

Thanks

On my black cars ( mercs ) I`ve always had good results this way :
Rinse car off with pressure washer
Wash with 2 bucket method and a mitt
Wash again with 2 bucket method 2nd mitt
Rinse off
Clay with Farecla clay mitt and soapy water as a lubricant
Wash again with 2 bucket method and 3rd mitt
Rinse off
Towel dry
Polish with AG super resin polish
Polish again with AG super resin polish
Wax with Turtlewax black wax
Wax with AG HD wax :thumb:

It takes a while :D

kurlykris said:
On my black cars ( mercs ) I`ve always had good results this way :
Rinse car off with pressure washer
Wash with 2 bucket method and a mitt
Wash again with 2 bucket method 2nd mitt
Rinse off
Clay with Farecla clay mitt and soapy water as a lubricant
Wash again with 2 bucket method and 3rd mitt
Rinse off
Towel dry
Polish with AG super resin polish
Polish again with AG super resin polish
Wax with Turtlewax black wax
Wax with AG HD wax :thumb:

Thanks,
What to wash with, presumably a shampoo that doesn't have wax in it, so not like a turtle wax type shampoo?
Would any fine clay bar do the job, I.e AG one?
Is there any special process to the polishing and waxing or is it just polish on and polish off by hand and same thing for wax?
Also, why the turtle wax in between or is it to fill any imperfections in the black paint.

It takes a while :D

I always use AG shampoo, 2 caps to 11Litre bucket, 4 caps for clay lube so it`s nice and slippery, Farecla clay mitt is much quicker and easier than a clay bar and you won`t drop it on the floor, black wax is to cover imperfections/scratches that won`t hand polish out, polish is, as you say, polish on then buff off, same with the wax, although different waxes require different curing time.
The AG HD wax is lovely when complete, but hard work to apply and remove.
Farecla G3 wax is much easier on the elbows :thumb:

All of this stuff is available from Halfrauds off the shelf :D

It`s a bit like decorating, all the work is in the prep and detail, rush it and you won`t get the results that you want.

To be honest, with a virtually new car like yours, just a claying and polish/wax in one with Zymol cleaner wax would do the trick I would have thought :grin:
It also is easy to use and smells like coconut/bananas :D

Thanks again,
So do you mean I could wash, clay, wash, rinse then zymol to finish?

That would suit me and it's more do able

wilpert said:
Thanks again,
So do you mean I could wash, clay, wash, rinse then zymol to finish?

That would suit me and it's more do able

Yep :thumb:

And on a Boxster it really doesn`t take long at all :thumb:

My E class daily takes forever, it`s like polishing the QEII :sad:

Piccy of my Midnight Blue Boxster S bootlid after a polish and wax :

I used zymol on my silver 996 but I had doubts of using on my black car because it's light.

Wouldn't I need a sealer to seal after the clay or does the zymol do that.
After clay, would I just wash and rinse and then use the zymol?
If it's that simple I'll definitely give it a go. I like the zymol smell too.
My son who's 14 thought it was a shampoo and poured half a pot in the hot water when I asked for help cleaning the rr sport.
That boxster looks good n shiny :thumb:

Agreed about like a decorating job, I was a qualified decorator and used to do high end work years ago, plenty of wet n dry paper and tacky rags to remove the dust. I would mind if I never saw another painted banister :nooo:

wilpert said:
I used zymol on my silver 996 but I had doubts of using on my black car because it's light.

Wouldn't I need a sealer to seal after the clay or does the zymol do that.
After clay, would I just wash and rinse and then use the zymol?
If it's that simple I'll definitely give it a go. I like the zymol smell too.
My son who's 14 thought it was a shampoo and poured half a pot in the hot water when I asked for help cleaning the rr sport.
That boxster looks good n shiny :thumb:

Agreed about like a decorating job, I was a qualified decorator and used to do high end work years ago, plenty of wet n dry paper and tacky rags to remove the dust. I would mind if I never saw another painted banister :nooo:

Zymol is lovely stuff to use, if a little dusty, and yes it is a wax, so will protect/seal the paint :thumb:
I always give a car 2 coats though, just to make sure you don`t miss a spot :D

I`m sad really as I love detailing my cars, my neighbours think I`m bonkers, but then again they don`t have Porkers or Mercs for some reason :dont know:

Jetwashed, shampoo, jetwashed, washed with G3, used G3 clay mitt, washed with G3, rinse and polished with G3 super gloss paste wax.

Attachments

• image_843.jpeg
    image_843.jpeg
    46.6 KB · Views: 5,310

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back