Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

991 turbo - sport mode - exhaust tone?

k3bab

Trainee
Hello,

I am an owner of a 2016 991 Turbo.

There is a notable difference in the way the car sounds between normal mode and sport (or sport +).

What I can't figure out is: does the change in exhaust tone come from the exhaust itself - i.e. does something happen physically to make the sound car more aggressive, OR is this a synthesised noise?

I know certain car manufacturers are hot on synthesised sound, and having test driven the BMW i8 I know just how difficult it can be to tell the difference between real engine roar and synthesised soundtrack pumped though the speakers, but I can't seem to work out what's going on in my turbo.

Does anyone know?

Thanks,
K

Yes my .2 Turbo S does the same and I was wondering this too.

The change is immediate isn't it, so it doesn't feel like a slow flap opening, but I could be wrong.
The gasflow comment sounds most plausible. I was hoping it wasn't a synthesised noise ;)

On another point have you noticed the oil temperature differences between Normal, Sport and Sport+

Normal is highest, Sport definitley runs at a very noticeable cooler temperature and Sport+ oddly runs betwen the two ..?
I get that there might be an oil cooler or some other control working harder for Sport, but that doesn't explain why it's in between for Sport+

Anyway just an observation.

have not noticed. Will be paying close attention to it next time.

I have now however stood behind the car as it was revved up in both the normal and sport mode and could definitely tell the difference in the exhaust tone from the outside

On another point have you noticed the oil temperature differences between Normal, Sport and Sport+

Normal is highest, Sport definitley runs at a very noticeable cooler temperature and Sport+ oddly runs betwen the two ..?
I get that there might be an oil cooler or some other control working harder for Sport, but that doesn't explain why it's in between for Sport+

I have the same thing happening with oil temp on my 2016 Cayman and OPC confirms it is a fan kicking in behind the oil radiator but can't explain different behaviour between sport and sport plus.

I have the same thing happening with oil temp on my 2016 Cayman and OPC confirms it is a fan kicking in behind the oil radiator but can't explain different behaviour between sport and sport plus.

The temp thing is down to a new Porsche innovation they call " Thermal management" it allows the engine to run hotter when running in normal mode but turns on extra cooling when in the sports mode.

I believe the engine sound is pumped through the entertainment system

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Timjar
Back