Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Elbow grease going to waste?

Chillout

Need some advice please on layering products. I have a good polished Carrera white base, and I apply Poorboys white diamond, then Dodo juice diamond white hard wax. The finish is great and I'm very pleased with the products. I also just got in Poorboys QD+ for touch ups in between proper washes.

Anyway, my question is: using things like tar/iron remover, snow foam etc. am I washing off my hard work? Also, can the products listed above be layered, or am I just rubbing off the previous layer?

Any advice / experience appreciated. Thanks, Mark.

Chillout said:
Need some advice please on layering products. I have a good polished Carrera white base, and I apply Poorboys white diamond, then Dodo juice diamond white hard wax. The finish is great and I'm very pleased with the products. I also just got in Poorboys QD+ for touch ups in between proper washes.

Anyway, my question is: using things like tar/iron remover, snow foam etc. am I washing off my hard work? Also, can the products listed above be layered, or am I just rubbing off the previous layer?

Any advice / experience appreciated. Thanks, Mark.

The Poor boys contains some fillers, so if you are applying by hand, you will improve the base for your hard wax. Generally with a wax, more than 2 or 3 coats are wasted, in my experience. On light coloured, and particularly white cars, a sealant will provide a better finish.
Lots of advice on www.detailingworld.com

:thumb:

Properly diluted snowfoams should not affect your finish. Use of tar removers etc will. Unless your car is covered in tar, using the product on a microfibre cloth and dabbing each tar spot individually will minimise the removal of your wax. All-out remover is a little different as you will not necessarily be able to see the contamination. If you have decent protection on your car in the form of a wax or sealant, you should only need to decontaminate the car every 6 months or so. The QD will top up your protection after each wash.

OK, tanks for the info thus far. I suppose the more pertinent question is - can I effectively layer glaze and wax or is one rubbing the other off?
Thanks.

Chillout said:
OK, tanks for the info thus far. I suppose the more pertinent question is - can I effectively layer glaze and wax or is one rubbing the other off?
Thanks.

The more coats of glaze, the more imperfections you will hide, within the limits of polishing by hand. Once you have completed the polishing/ glazing stage, finish with a few coats of wax.

Poorboys white diamond is a filler glaze, great at hiding those light scratches. A wax is typically added to protect and add a bit of depth, wetness and/or shine. Nothing wrong with what you have done there. Both products can be safely and effectively layered.

Tardis is a great product, but will tend to strip wax. Just reapply your top coat.

Most wash products are wax friendly, but the wax will be removed over time. depending on your wax I would top up every month or three. You can "top-up" after every wash or so with a good quick detailer. When the time comes to re-wax there is no harm in re-layering with PB and then the wax too.

Chris

Chris - that was just the advice I needed, thanks chief. Good to know I am not wasting my time!

Attachments

• img_0362_791.jpg
    img_0362_791.jpg
    450.9 KB · Views: 12,238
Chillout said:
Chris - that was just the advice I needed, thanks chief. Good to know I am not wasting my time!

That looks good :)

Looks great! I've just had mine machine polished and waxed to correct the paint swirl. It looks factory fresh now and I love it. By reading the excellent cleaning and detail tips on here I'll keep it tip top.
The picture attached doesn't really do it justice but here you go anyway....

Attachments

• 9972tt_shiney_176.png
    9972tt_shiney_176.png
    351.9 KB · Views: 12,026
Chillout said:
very nice and its hard to get depth into white good job :thumb:

Norfolk & Idea said:
Looks great! I've just had mine machine polished and waxed to correct the paint swirl. It looks factory fresh now and I love it. By reading the excellent cleaning and detail tips on here I'll keep it tip top.

Lovely deep,wet shine :thumb: :grin: perfect

Phil 997 said:
Norfolk & Idea said:

Lovely deep,wet shine :thumb: :grin: perfect

Why thankyou! This polshing lark followed by a glass or two of red (summer only) and staring at it, has got me hooked. :mrgreen:

It's really difficult to get any depth of shine on a white car but that looks surperb :grin:

Arctic silver isn't the most rewarding to work with but I plan to have a good go at it over the winter as I've not had the car long.

I think it's good to strip back the wax every now and again and basically start again so I'll give the whole car a good clay, machine polish and a few coats of wax. I've no experience of glaze so I might give that a try also.
I've a few swirl marks I want to remove anyway so starting again gives me the opportunity to deal with these.

I've spent a bit of time under the arches but I plan again over the winter to chip away at the whole underside once I get the under trays off.

Thanks for the positive comments chaps. KJD - definitely give glaze a try, I use Poorboys diamond white, it is amazing stuff, even hand applied. Then it's sealed in with Dodojuice white diamond. I've also been using Poorboys QD+ on top if I can't be arsed to give it the full monty, it's dead easy to use.

KJD said:
It's really difficult to get any depth of shine on a white car but that looks surperb :grin:

Arctic silver isn't the most rewarding to work with but I plan to have a good go at it over the winter as I've not had the car long.

I think it's good to strip back the wax every now and again and basically start again so I'll give the whole car a good clay, machine polish and a few coats of wax. I've no experience of glaze so I might give that a try also.
I've a few swirl marks I want to remove anyway so starting again gives me the opportunity to deal with these.

I've spent a bit of time under the arches but I plan again over the winter to chip away at the whole underside once I get the under trays off.

Couple of questions for you KJD, what procedure & products do you use on your Artic silver. I have the same colour but don't do anything beyond the following:

Prewash/Rinse
2 bucket wash quick wash
Snow Foam
Clay Mitt with car shampoo
Rinse
Waterwaffle dry

I don't own and don't really want to get into machine polishing the car so looking for next steps to polish, wax or seal after hand drying.

Also, whats going on with your number plate?

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back