Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Another one with a 997 GT3 Itch

Shapes65

Been on the forums a while, and currently own a 996 Turbo as my weekend toy. Owned it for over a year now, very much enjoyed for various car meets, back roads blast, and also putting it on the track a couple of times.

It's performance in a straight line as well as the bendy stuff is something else, though almost "too good" if there is such a thing. So part of me has been wondering if there's another model that would be more engaging, more emotional. So I'm now asking myself if I was to change at some point in the future, what car would fit my requirements even better.....

After some gentle hunting around, the shortlist was narrowed to a 6 GT3, 7 GTS and 7 GT3. After some more thinking, and lots of forum reading. It seems like the GTS may not be different or raw enough (I found the 7 G1 & G2 C2S way too refined when I drove one), and the 6 GT3 maybe too raw for my requirements (as it has no driving aids which can be useful on the track and/or limit)...that leaves the 7 GT3.

At this point I should add the critical fact that I've yet to drive a 7 GT3, or even be driven in one though hope I can change that soon!

I've heard very good things about the NA engine, and how amazing that is, though also read the ride is very firm...and even some owners going back to a 7 Turbo for road use after owning a 6 or 7 GT3. So interested how others find them.

Also while my 6TT should provide a good trade-in, the additional chunk of money needed to upgrade is quite a wedge. Part of my man logic is saying it will be a good investment, though at the same time I want to use and enjoy it.

Has anyone else gone from a 6TT to a 7GT3? If so any thoughts? pros/cons? worth the premium?

I've been to see one 7 GT3 at my local OPC, and was amazed how heavy the clutch was (when stationary I should add). Does it ease up much when moving? Is it that bad in heavy traffic?

I'm following the usual PH and autotrader ads as well as OPC and of course here, though any other places to watch?

I think that pretty much covers the brain dump, and appreciate any thoughts.

kas750 is your man... he had a 996 Turbo and went to a 997 GT3 :thumb:

Drive one and you will know if its for you. Very different cars really. The premium is totally subjective but safe ish money if you dont like it. Can't imagine you wouldn't though but depends what you want one for. Daily driver? unlikely to be what you'd want but not impossible to live with, I wouldn't personally. Its hard to really exploit what you have on the public roads but its not massively faster than a 6t point to point but goes about it in a totally different way. Yes clutch is heavy especially compared to the 6t as thats assisted and light as a feather.

My first 911 was a 996 turbo now on my 3rd 997 GT3. :lol:

Best car I've ever driven is the 7.2 GT3RS. A totally phenomenal machine in every respect!

Also driven a 7 GT2RS which was a huge disappointment. Slower and only slightly more nimble than my turbo. Looked nice though.

If I could get into a 3RS I would, but I'm not willing to go into debt for any car so it looks like I need my long lost uncle in Nigeria to leave me a will I new nothing about :dont know:

Will see what kas750 says then :)

You're right Senoj, I do need to drive one. It would be just my weekend toy (I have a 335D as my daily), so it's more about the journey of getting from A to B with the Porsche, and you say what I heard from many others...a very different experience. The clutch does sound a challenge!

Not sure anything with RS will ever be on my radar...just considering the GT3 bit is scary enough for now!

Shapes65 said:
The clutch does sound a challenge

For normal driving you get used to it quicker than you might think, but you do not want to get caught in a 2 hour traffic jam in a GT3. If you manage to avoid stop-start traffic queues then it is fine.

Disco said:
Shapes65 said:

For normal driving you get used to it quicker than you might think, but you do not want to get caught in a 2 hour traffic jam in a GT3. If you manage to avoid stop-start traffic queues then it is fine.

+1

It's not that heavy once you're used to it. As a weekend toy it's fine but like Colin says, you don't want to get stuck in a jam with it. Besides the discomfort of a heavy clutch you'll also probably end up polishing the clutch plates if sat regularly in stop/start traffic, which will lead to a certain amount of clutch judder when moving off. This can generally be 'fixed' though by doing the odd Italian tune up or trackday to get the clutch feeling normal again

To get as much input to help you, I'd also suggest speaking to Simon (Sym322). He currently has a 997 GT3 for nearly a year now and had two 996 Turbo cars prior to it interlaced with a Boxster S between the two Turbo cars ownership.

Not sure how active he is. A PM will definitely give you a result.

Roro said:
Disco said:
Shapes65 said:

+1

It's not that heavy once you're used to it. As a weekend toy it's fine but like Colin says, you don't want to get stuck in a jam with it. Besides the discomfort of a heavy clutch you'll also probably end up polishing the clutch plates if sat regularly in stop/start traffic, which will lead to a certain amount of clutch judder when moving off. This can generally be 'fixed' though by doing the odd Italian tune up or trackday to get the clutch feeling normal again

+1....traffic jams are most definitely a bit of a 'no no'. :grin:

Thanks for the additional responses guys. Noted on the "jam" front :)

Money wise, it looks like a Gen 1 is just about within reach if I was to part-ex my 6TT. As for desired spec, it sounds like the bucket seats are a must have, particularly with the driving experience that I'm after.

I'll drop Simon a PM and also see what GT3 owners I can have a natter to at the Porsche meets/events this year.

Cheers!

All I would add is that if you want to maximise any future value then only buy a clubsport.

In fact if I was to buy another and the value was the same then it would have to be a clubsport.

Interesting...I can see it from an investment perspective.

Would the clubsport spec on the road have negatives?

Shapes65 said:
Interesting...I can see it from an investment perspective.

Would the clubsport spec on the road have negatives?

If you have the 'full cage' it's a pain for passengers....but, you can always
take the front section out (full cages are rare anyway).

The buckets are just fine, even for longer European jaunts...and over the
years we've done more than a few. So, no real negatives...there are quite a
few of us on here who have gone from comfort to club sport with no issues
whatsoever. :thumb:

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back