Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Paint work guesstimates

dazzpowder

Trainee
Finally got to see the high mileage 991, but was disappointed with the paint work for a year old car the rear kidneys and front was peppered with stone chips.
Anyone know or have had their 991 front end repainted and rear quarter panels? By a good body shop or Porche approved.
Any idea how much I'm looking at? I'm thinking £2.5K
I'm trying to work out how much I need to put aside to bring back the car to its original self.

I'd be thinking £1k for a normal car so £1.5k with Porsche tax :bandit:

IIRC a front end is £500 -£650 :dont know:

However what you find find is when a professional outfit takes a look at it they will find other paint issues you haven't spotted which will ramp up the bill :what:

thanks I'm hoping there will enough in the budget for a good detail. Anyone have an opinion on the ceramic coatings?

Front-end respray at Porsche approved bodyshop will be around £1500 + VAT.
No idea about rear kidney panels.

Porsche-approved bodyshop will detail and finish with SwissVax, not ceramic coatings. Basic detail starts around £300 + VAT but subject to seeing the car to assess how much work is needed. The price is per day so could be easily double or treble for detailing depending on how much work is involved.

Independent bodyshop respray for front end will be around £1200 + VAT but smaller outfits you may get away with £1000 + VAT.

Personally, and especially for a 991, I'd not use anyone other than a Porsche-approved bodyshop. Others will think its a load of boll*cks and tell us how they got a bargain respray for £500 all-in at their local Bob's Bodyshop and such very good paint shops no doubt exist with high quality resprays at a fraction of the cost estimated.

Personally I'd only used a Porsche approved body shop if I was having some damage repair or an Insurance claim where someone else was paying.

If you want to pay top money then fair enough but I was told recently that all OPC used will have the stone chips addreesed with a front end respray before they can be approved for sale so any work is going to end up getting redone if the car goes back into the network - in this case being high mileage probably not.

The skill is in the guy with the spray gun who gets a pittance of the labour charges that get loaded on. I'd go with a recommendation, look at their work, what they turn out etc. And note that some OPC out source the work.

I certainly wouldn't be paying £1,800 for a front end blow over :eek:

Porsche do not have their own bodyshops. They have an approved list of independents they use. Any purchase from an OPC of an approved used vehicle will have been prepped at a Porsche-approved bodyshop if it requires it.

The nature of these cars means that they will attract stone chips over time.
Fixing them is a choice between Porsche-approved or independent. A number of Indy bodyshops that have experience of prestige cars I talked to came to only about a £100 difference from a Porsche-approved bodyshop but without the water-tight warranty.

Of course it is always an option to have an even lower price respray than a prestige Indy Bodyshop. Its down to risk if the job doesn't come to one's personal expectations and the cost saving for that risk.

But each to their own, otherwise there wouldn't be the plethora of back-street spray shops some of whom no doubt do a good job and will show you good examples on other people's cars, but if it goes wrong on your car? Then you're on your own.

I'm having mine done in a couple of weeks by a local independent. Every to,e I walk in there, it's full of classic Porsches and ferraris, and they did a top job on my 997 when I dropped something on the rear wing.
They've quoted 1000+vat for front and rear bumper, bonnet, and blow over of wings.
Porsche would be at least 50% more, and I know this body shop has been around for 30+years and can actually repair panels, not just replace them.

Who are they? wouldn't mind checking them out. I spoke to an indi and the price was pretty much the same as the PABS's I contacted.

your reply crossed in the mail i sent.

While on this subject, can anybody tell me where to find the paint code? There is no sticker on the underside of the boot lid (im sure thats where it was on my 996)

Thanks

usually about £350 per panel, i.e. door, wing etc.

Anyone had any experiencing with Lancaster body repair center in Essex?
Had a quote back from one approved center, nearly fell off me chair 4 -4.5K.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
yewcorner
Back