Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

2011 Boxster S Gen 2 - twitchy, nervous @ 70MPH+

BOX11STR

I'm having some issues with my car and could use some words of advice on here!
This is my first Boxster, having never driven or owned a Porsche before...

A bit about my car:
Stock 2011 Gen 2 Boxster S 987 (Sport Chrono, no PASM)
19 inch wheels
Full service history at correct intervals
1 owner 44K miles
Just had major service at 43K by Revolution Porsche
Brand new set of N-rated Michelin PS2 all round 300 miles ago with correct balancers
Four Wheel alignment carried out by Jaz Porsche a day after new tyres

It feels fantastic on twisty bits however since I've owned the car - it just feels incredibly nervous on motorway north of 70mph. The whole front end feels light (I know that's the way these cars are designed) but it just feels incredibly twitchy, steering overly sensitive and not confidence inspiring at all. There's no play in the steering nor noticeable vibrations either.

Furthermore there seems to be no knocks, squeaks or rattles from the suspension and the spoiler works completely fine - so what can it be??

Absolutely gutted I've spent years saving for my first ever Porsche and I've got all this power under my foot yet I still feel safer doing 90MPH in my mum's Peugeot 307 1.6!!

Looking forward to all your thoughts!

Thanks!

I've replied to this on the other thread, but, Centre Gravity is your 1st port of call for this. Do not go anywhere else, or spend any money on your car until Chris has worked his magic on it. I think he's booked up til September for Saturday health checks, but it'd be well worth a day off work and a half day in his workshop. :thumb:

Shurv said:
I've replied to this on the other thread, but, Centre Gravity is your 1st port of call for this. Do not go anywhere else, or spend any money on your car until Chris has worked his magic on it. I think he's booked up til September for Saturday health checks, but it'd be well worth a day off work and a half day in his workshop. :thumb:

:yeah:

I agree wholeheartedly. It sounds like Jaz have gone for an aggressive fast road set up which seems to be making your car nervous.

Centre Gravity is the place to sort this out for you, honestly.
I have just dialed out that exact feeling on my 964 with Chris' help.
My car felt like it was on rails at low to moderate speeds, then on to the motorway and you'd be steering away like a loon to keep in a straight line!

My thread show an indepth how we did it a couple of pages back from the last post. Worth a read, and it will be like night and day to drive after.
(964 forum - The Red Baron)...

Keep the faith :thumb:

Moved to Boxster Cayman section.

Hi

I had the same thing which turned out to be missing trim underneath the car. at the rear.

Im unsure if the Boxster has the same sort of functioning trim as the 997 as the engine is accessible from the top but it could be from the front and air is getting up and almost lifting the car as thats how mine felt.

J

M9JOC said:
Hi

I had the same thing which turned out to be missing trim underneath the car. at the rear.

Im unsure if the Boxster has the same sort of functioning trim as the 997 as the engine is accessible from the top but it could be from the front and air is getting up and almost lifting the car as thats how mine felt.

J

If the car has been on a 4-wheel lift (like during a service) it is worth checking that all 4 springs are seated, notably the front ones.

If you search the 997 forum, you will find I had the same experience with my 997 turbo - winter wheels/tyres fitted (soon after buying so hadn't pushed it much), followed by floaty/bobbing feel and felt 'unsafe' at high speed. Then a loud-ish 'bang' from the front one day whilst manoeuvring and it all returned to rock solid at any speed.

As others have said get an alignment done, ideally by centre gravity. Without a doubt one of the best things I have ever had done to my car. It felt like a completely different car (for the better).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkey
Back