Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Gen2 GT3

Grampa

Ok, been reading & enjoying the forum for a while but could now do with some knowledgeable input from the people in the know, AKA you lot. :D

Kids have finally all left home, mortgage is almost cleared, ain't getting any younger, so after much soul searching have sent an LOI to my local OPC with regard to purchasing a Gen 2 GT3. I suppose what I want to know is what happens next, and do I stand any chance of getting one? My last Porsche, a 993 C4S was sold to the same OPC around 15yrs ago. (Should I send LOI's to multiple dealers?).

I intend to use the car as a daily driver and after hours of mixing & matching have pretty much decided on the following spec....

White
Sports Seats Plus
Cruise
Mats
F&R park assist

I could easily spend 20k on options but can't see it improving the car in any appreciable manner.

Any feedback, comments, suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't like saying this but the old 'LOI' system has rather sadly fallen by the
wayside....
It appears that when it comes to GT cars, OPC allocations are based on an
altogether different formula.
1) Porsche VIP customers have first dibs..in other words if you bought a 918
and you've still got the pink slip.
2) If you regularly buy their GT cars (you ask each and every time that they
announce one, that's usually at Geneva every other year in March).
3) If you regularly purchase nice shiny new Porsche cars.
4) if you're a celebrity, sports star...etc (although Sharapova is now off that
list).

But, heh what am I saying ?...do a letter, send it to all the OPC's...just take it
on board that if any of them want deposits they're being totally disingenuous.
And by following the forums you will know just as little as them when it comes
to allocations, release dates...etc !. :thumb:

Ps..and good luck !

Hi Nick

Thanks for the reply, pretty much what I thought. Must be nice to be in a position where you can pick & choose your customers. Very sad that the majority of those who actually want to buy and use the car are looked over for those wanting to add to a collection or make a quick buck.

Will hang out for the GT3 as that's top of the list, if no luck a mate has a very tasty 458 he's willing to let me have for sensible money.

Watch this space.

Have you thought about a used one? There will be no mahoosive step forward with the next gen 991, could even go backwards (in the desireabilty stakes)

off the couch and driving something nice next week.. :D

Hi Senoj

It's on the consideration list, but only if the prices start to approach reality. I'm not poor but I'm a bloody long way from having money to burn. Will hang on to see if I'm deemed worthy by Porsche, then look at my options.

Fair enough, i couldn't stomach the overs either. Hope it works out for you. My bet it gen 2 prices will be up a bit as well though. Market can stand it and weak £ will have to be considered too so what may look like a big delta today probably wont six months fom now.

So, today I contacted several UK OPC's regarding the possibility of purchasing a Gen2 991 GT3, can't say for the most part it was a pleasant experience. Responses ranged from "not a hope" to "I have a much overpriced second hand Gen1 that I could sell you" (if you get on your knees and say please, pretty please). At least my local dealer was friendly, courteous, and took the trouble of recording my details, just in case. That 458 is suddenly starting to look very attractive!

I wonder what I would do in your position. I'd probably jump in the 458 until a 991.2 GT3 became available. I'd be worried about a price slump on a 991.1 PDK GT3 models if 991.2 came with a manual 'box, but wouldn't need to worry about that with a 458

Hi Roro, it's beginning to look like the sensible option.

Not going to fan any flames regarding a price slump on 991.1's with the possible intro of a Gen2 with manual box, I suspect 80% of normal drivers would spec the PDK anyway. Only time will tell.

In the same boat as you. Its looking to be unlikely ill get a build slot, but never say never. They may up production numbers again this time around. The 991 had over 3000 units allocated globally. Plus with rumours of the 991.2 RS getting a 4.2 litre, it might take some pressure off the old 3.8 sales. Im thinking the best ill get is an offer to buy a part ex 991.1 at some ridiculous mark up though.

Saying that, if i was fortunate enough to be looking at a 458, id be getting that if only to hold me over. Certainly would be choosing that over a hiked price 991 GT3. But good luck, whatever your choice may be. :thumbs:

458 .. it will cost a more to own than a hiked up gt3, especially if you actually drive it.

Senoj said:
458 .. it will cost a more to own than a hiked up gt3, especially if you actually drive it.

Lol...'drive it'..that'll cost a fair bit more for sure.

...'track it'....and you're in telephone number country ! :nooo:

nick w said:
Senoj said:

OP probably won't be tracking based on his daily driver comment

Also there's a number of 458's on autotrader with pretty decent mileage. I wonder if the fact they're all now automatic means the Ferrari market attitude to mileage is changing. They appear to be very liveable as daily motors and this is probably being reflected in the higher mileages with still fairly solid prices
:?:

Roro said:
nick w said:
Senoj said:

OP probably won't be tracking based on his daily driver comment

Also there's a number of 458's on autotrader with pretty decent mileage. I wonder if the fact they're all now automatic means the Ferrari market attitude to mileage is changing. They appear to be very liveable as daily motors and this is probably being reflected in the higher mileages with still fairly solid prices
:?:

Ah, a man of vision. The 458 would be used as a daily driver (I'd only get in the way on a track), why buy a car and only use it when the sun shines? Many years ago I came within a whisper of buying a 355GTB, awsome car, not something I'd want to use on a daily basis, hence the 993 4S. Don't know why I'm not jumping at it but have this 991 GT3 itch that needs scratching.

Grampa said:
The 458 would be used as a daily driver

If you want a daily driver and do care in the least about money then you really don't want a Ferrari unless you are paying buttons for one that already has big miles on the clock to price it in. They are staggeringly price sensitive to mileage - hence the earlier comments that it costs a fortune to actually drive them (putting miles on a Ferrari crushes the relative residual value - it isn't just a matter of the stratospheric servicing bills that they can rack up).

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davey2233
Back