Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Targa roof original spec

treefrog99

After a trip to Milan toasted the targa roof on my car it became necessary to have the roof recovered. The trimmer asked me to strip it back to the a basic frame and whilst doing this I found that the frame was broken which I repaired. The trimmer maintained that he could refurbish the roof without the car, although I offered to leave it with him on several occasions, consequently the roof whilst being excellent every respect regarding quality it fits poorly. Whilst it doesn't leak and is acceptably quite up to legal limits it squeaks incessantly at 30mph.
I intend now to attempt to get it refurbished yet again by a different trimmer.

Does anyone have a car with the original roof, a bit of a long shot I know as the cars are now25 years old alternatively does anyone have pictures of the 964 Targa press release or publicity photos.

I believe having talked to my indi who is a long time Porsche mechanic that the roof should fit between the windscreen and the targa hoop.
My roof overlaps at the rear by about 10mm, which probably causes the squeak, and the front lip sits proud of the windscreen frame when locked down.
I have adjusted the front to back fit with the pins which lock into the windscreen frame the rear vertical movement by again moving the pins and the front vertically by the locking mechanism.

Any help would be much appreciated

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bristolsparks
Back