Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Stone protection film what to cover?

alpinaB3

On my previous car I have a full frontal coverage being: bonnet, front wings, bumper, sills and mirrors I am intending to go back to PaintShield with my 911 4S which is due in October.

As this will be my first Porsche what are the areas that would benefit of being protected?

I have received some prices from PaintShield which includes a meagre 5% discount as being a previous customer (I would have expected 10% and possibly more for a full coverage) I would love to get the car full covered but we are talking about £6,000 with paint preparation!!!! So I am thinking more of a full frontal coverage + any other areas that are likely in need of the stone protection film.

As being a 911 4S, I expect the Sills and Rear wheel arches would also be a must for protection, however are we looking at just a localised patch area or the whole rear panels?

The standard full frontal coverage including
* Bumper
* Full bonnet (wrapped edges)
* Full front wings (inner edges wrapped)
* Wing mirrors

From the forum members own experience what else should I also include?

I had the Armorfend on my previous cayman S, which the previous owner had fitted after he bought the car with around 10k miles on the clock.
I realise the body shape is different but he had half of the bonnet, front wings, backs of mirrors and the bit in front of the air inlets either side.

It stopped stone chips but to be honest, I felt it looked a bit untidy as it was visible and I sort of always had the feeling that it was something that you would only benefit from when it had been removed and then Id always be mindful that it may cause damage when taken off, though I'm sure it doesn't but I'm a bit paranoid at times.

I'm sure they will do a great job but for 6k, you could get the car professionally detailed every 6 months for a few years.

If I did do it again on my current car, which has only 1500 miles on it, i will just get the front done but I wouldnt go for the half way on the bonnet as I don't like the line.

I've been mulling this one over myself... Particularly as I will be doing high mileage.

The rear wheel arches already have a film applied by Porsche when manufactured, so you don't need to worry about that.

I've been hunting around and have been to the Porsche garage to look at a few other customer cars that decided to have film applied, of those that have, they had applied to the fronts only. But you could see the cars that had film applied, whilst neat, you could still tell.

My final decision... I'm not going to bother with any film application. Will get it waxed and will accept that I will get stone chips. If it ever gets noticeable, then I will get the front bumper re-sprayed... It really is personal choice this one, as there are the relative merits.

A slightly different one is ceramic coating, have you seen that? its a relatively new process, but is on another level to wax.

Go with whatever your personal preference is...

wilpert said:
I had the Armorfend on my previous cayman S, which the previous owner had fitted after he bought the car with around 10k miles on the clock.
I realise the body shape is different but he had half of the bonnet, front wings, backs of mirrors and the bit in front of the air inlets either side.

It stopped stone chips but to be honest, I felt it looked a bit untidy as it was visible and I sort of always had the feeling that it was something that you would only benefit from when it had been removed and then Id always be mindful that it may cause damage when taken off, though I'm sure it doesn't but I'm a bit paranoid at times.

I'm sure they will do a great job but for 6k, you could get the car professionally detailed every 6 months for a few years.

If I did do it again on my current car, which has only 1500 miles on it, i will just get the front done but I wouldnt go for the half way on the bonnet as I don't like the line.

Having a bonnet part covered to me is false economy, not only will the bonnet have a visible edge of the film where dirt and wax can collect, which in time just looks bad, but projectiles can often hit your bonnet more then once, I know this from experience. So a full bonnet coverage is a must.

I have never heard of damage being incurred when removing stone protection film, however they always say if the car has had a re-spray you must wait at least 8 days before applying the film over the re-sprayed panels.

6appeal said:
I've been mulling this one over myself... Particularly as I will be doing high mileage.

The rear wheel arches already have a film applied by Porsche when manufactured, so you don't need to worry about that.

I've been hunting around and have been to the Porsche garage to look at a few other customer cars that decided to have film applied, of those that have, they had applied to the fronts only. But you could see the cars that had film applied, whilst neat, you could still tell.

My final decision... I'm not going to bother with any film application. Will get it waxed and will accept that I will get stone chips. If it ever gets noticeable, then I will get the front bumper re-sprayed... It really is personal choice this one, as there are the relative merits.

A slightly different one is ceramic coating, have you seen that? its a relatively new process, but is on another level to wax.

Go with whatever your personal preference is...

On my last car where I did not have the film applied I did have Gyeon MOHS (ceramic coating) protecting the doors, roof and rear panels, however I still got stone chips in the paint lacquer so I was not that impressed with it. Possibly other ceramic coatings are better?

Excluding the protection of stone chips, one wax I am very impressed with is Swissvax Endurance, so I do intend to have this applied over the film for extra wow factor plus added protection against bird poo and acid rain fallout.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silage
Back