Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

4.2 supercharged Range Rover

stucart

Going look at one today, its the '07 Facelift Jag engine one, any advice experience of one, anyone got one?? Cant bring myself to look at Diesel one despite the SC having worse mpg than the Porsche!!

Hmmm I to have been considering a SC range rover. So also be interested to hear opinions. I have heard that the pre 2013 big boy range rovers can be a bit wallowy and boat like. For this reason I am looking for a sport.... Hardest part for me will be convincing the mrs that I need one lol.

Old boss had one - ended up selling it, as she spent more time on the forecourt filling it up rather than driving it - VERY thirsty

Like all Range Rovers

Suspension arms (knocking) very common and expensive

Compressor for suspension

Headlights self level (there is an independent ECU inside the dashboard that fails i've had 2 to do recently both on 2007 models)

Ask that all the relevant ECU updates have been done my wife's 2011 got a download last time it was in to cure a suspension recall.

I'm off to have a nosey at it and hopefully drive it, I'll report later :eek:

Had ours for 4 years. It's an 06, so not the facelift . At the time was quite a premium ...

Drives well. 400bhp is plenty ! The SC is effectively top of range so comes with everything. Can tickle along at 70mph on 2k revs in cruise and see 22mpg. But round town is 15mpg

Handling wise it's a wafter , but not like a jelly, like some American jeep things I've been in. Doesn't "handle" like my Cayenne S did, but still positive enough to hack across B roads at a decent speed.

Had some suspension work (track rods I think). Quite kind on tyres, and my brakes have lasted ages

A lot of car for money. Mine invoiced at £85k. Worth about £10k now

I can't help but like the Rangies, there has to be a reason why there are so many out there.
I've got a V8 diesel with factory hst kit and even though it's 2007 I couldn't justify upgrading to a newer model because of the price difference. Mine has 114k and is great for load lugging or family outings but even on a long run it only returns 30 mpg at best and that's with careful driving. I'd hate to think what the petrol model would be like around town. I'd be scared to put my foot down.
I bought mine with over 90k on it in the hope the problems would have been sorted but still had to spend a few quid.
If only they were more reliable.

I bet there are some good deals to be had on used ones though, if only because of the gas guzzling capabilities.

I can't help but like the Rangies, there has to be a reason why there are so many out there.
I've got a V8 diesel with factory hat kit and even though it's 2007 I couldn't justify upgrading to a newer model because of the price difference. Mine has 114k and is great for load lugging or family outings but even on a long run it only returns 30 mpg at best and that's with careful driving. I'd hate to think what the petrol model would be like around town. I'd be scared to put my foot down.
I bought mine with over 90k on it in the hope the problems would have been sorted but still had to spend a few quid.
If only they were more reliable.

I bet there are some good deals to be had on used ones though, if only because of the gas guzzling capabilities.

Oh hell, went and bought it :sad:
I had good test drive, played with all toys, fell in love with interior and engine sound, love the SC whine and V8 growl, got a fair trade in on the old '98 BMW 750i ive owned for 9 years (used to 18mpg on ave) got them throw in numberplate change cost,12 months RAC Gold Warranty, service and RAC 90? point check, pick it up next week! So now own '07 Rangey 4.2 SC in Gleaming Black with Ivory leather, its got a TV, rev camera, DVD's in rear and all other stuff to play with, cooled seats, heated steering wheel, makes the Porsche look poor! Lets hope its not a money pit, should be ok for 12 months warranty seems to cover most mech/electrical items, now wheres my wallet :)
Already got few detailing jobs earmarked, polish tailpipes, sort out rusty locking nuts, remove wheels and polish inner rim, at least got 5 matching tyres on 20" rims, it'll be fine :eek:

I had a 2006 RR sport with the supercharged engine a few years back, it was used mainly by my wife and despite her driving it sensibly it returned an average of 13mpg around town. We now have a 2014 vogue V8 diesel which is also a great car, thing is I find with these cars you have no compulsion to drive them fast, in fact I would go as far as to say it actually feels wrong to do so.

Agreed re the fast driving.
In a straight line on the motorway yes, you can end up cruising at speed and not realising it but around corners you feel a fair bit of sway if you hammer it.

I end up too relaxed on a long run and almost forget I'm driving.
The v8 Just wafts along.

Think I've just PX'd the ultimate "waft" mobile in the 750i that is sublime at it, double glazed silence and could balance coin on engine when running, shame it had to go. Roll on next week to get RR and hope fuel doesn't go up too much now!!
Cheers for help/advice etc as usual.

if you want to save yourself a fortune, buy an IIDtool diagnostics kit. It will pay for itself in no time owning a Land Rover and you can do all the software updates etc.

I'm on my second Range Rover although its a TDV8, had loads of suspension trouble with the first which was an older TD6 but I missed being in a rolling armchair so much I got rid of my A4 and bought another.

andy1985 said:
if you want to save yourself a fortune, buy an IIDtool diagnostics kit. It will pay for itself in no time owning a Land Rover and you can do all the software updates etc.

I'm on my second Range Rover although its a TDV8, had loads of suspension trouble with the first which was an older TD6 but I missed being in a rolling armchair so much I got rid of my A4 and bought another.

Im feeling that I could get drawn in to another RR one of these days.
Shame they no longer make the TDV8 engine model though. The TDV6 seems a bit weak for such a heavy beast. maybe in a year or so the RR 2 will be a little bit more affordable on the used market.

Mine had suspension problems an I bit the bullet at the time and replaced the compressor unit which was about 1k or more IIRC.

Previous owner had had both turbos replaced, handbrake actuator, plus a few other jobs.
Best advice I ever had was wait until there are a few jobs that need doing (assuming they can wait) and get em done together at a decent indie.

Awaiting No plate change before can pick it up, apparently you can only do it online if both vehicles are in YOUR name, so as the new one isn't the 2 V5's have to be sent to DVLA by post, they were sent recorded yesterday so they should have received them today, anyone know how long its gonna take???
Salesman reckons 3-4 days and it should show up on online vehicle check then your good to go, anyone know better?
Give me few days to save for enough fuel drive it home! First V8 so excited, gonna miss the V12 though engine never missed a beat shame rest of car disintegrated around it :D

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scratch
Back