Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Are new Porsche leather interiors/need conditioning.

wilpert

I know it's a minefield but I would love a definite answer.
My interior is black Luxor 2 tone and I want to keep the seats clean.
So is it just a case of a cleaner or wipes or do I need to use a cleaner and conditioner. I don't want to discolour the contrast stitching or make then shiny at all.

Thanks in advance.

Modern finished auto leather does not need 'conditioners'
Products that contain oils and waxes (natural or not) are counterproductive and simply sit on the surface and attract more dirt which is what we are trying to avoid.
Protect from new with a quality leather protector
Maintain with a combined cleaner and protector
Deep clean with a water based foam cleaner once or twice a year
These 3 simple steps will keep your leather clean and in the best condition and prolong its life.

Beware of 'conditioners' that have been rebranded 'protectors' - a protector does not contain oils or waxes!! :)

Hope this helps
Judyb

Thanks so if I buy something like gliptones cleaner or wipes do I then get a protector too?

Gliptone still advocate the use of conditioners

Wipes can be used to maintain the leather but are unlikely to contain a combination product but are ok if they do not contain detergents as these will remove the protection.

Hope this helps
Judyb

Forum member Sean Smallman is probably the best person to ask about seat cleaning.

From what I gather the seats should actually be slightly dull and only go shiny from sweat dirt & body oils et. I've seen Sean use a make up sponge and water (despite what you've ever learned) and something product or another on an 18yr old 996 and bought them up like new, I'd PM him.

Dirt, abrasion and the build up of conditioners are what cause the sheen on leather seats.
Most car interiors are Matt finish (glossy finish would be dangerous)
Once deep cleaned the leather should return to it's original finish and once protected can then be easily maintained to keep them that way
Hope this helps
Judyb

Dirt, abrasion and the build up of conditioners are what cause the sheen on leather seats.
Once deep cleaned the leather should return to it's original finish and once protected can then be easily maintained to keep them that way
Hope this helps
Judyb

Judyb said:
Hope this helps
Judyb

Judy, great to see you getting involved with the forum and answering questions specific to your industry, As the Technical Director of a leather care company I imagine you have seen pretty much every scenario regarding auto leather. Oh by the way my products from your company arrived today , very nice thank you.and thanks again for sorting the forum discount code. :thumb: :grin:

Yes, thanks, I get that about the cleaning but is there a specific product that would be best to use as a protector after the cleaning.
I'm really only talking very light marks on the seats but I'm thinking long term.

Attachments

• image_549.jpeg
    image_549.jpeg
    1,023.4 KB · Views: 5,159
Not sure whether I am allowed to promote products!!
Auto LeatherGuard Protector is formulated specifically to help prevent dye transfer and stains on pale auto leather
Hope this helps
Judyb

Judyb said:
Not sure whether I am allowed to promote products!!
Auto LeatherGuard Protector is formulated specifically to help prevent dye transfer and stains on pale auto leather
Hope this helps
Judyb

Hi Judy. Your seat cleaner has worked perfectly as you said it would. I now need some Protector (I won't bother as yet about any further dye work). Would you be able to bring some product to Lotherton Hall next Sunday to the Porsche show I mentioned?
Cheers
Chris

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
smiggles772
Back