Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Fuel smell

Jay Man

Monza
I have noticed a strong smell of petrol recently outside the car, happens after a drive and then dissappears. Can anyone give me any ideas of where to start?

I have noticed in the paperwork with the car a similar fault was investigated in 2011 with a new fuel cap but it looks fine. Happy to replace as not expensive but wondered if it could be something else this time.

I also get this occasionly but cant find anything wrong. Would like to know. :frustrated: cheers.

Is it 100% fuel smell or could it be oil smell. I know my DFI engine gets a oily smell which comes from the engine breather pipes near the right wheel well, especially after a spirited drive

I would definitely change the fuel cap, even if it was done a few years ago, a very common fault and last time I bought one from OPC it was only about a tenner.

MC

good shout from MC.

I had this on mine, changed the cap and it went. £10 from the OPC. done.

Did you find the smell stronger in hot weather after using the AC a lot? This is when mine seems to do it. Only started a couple of weeks ago after the warranty renewal and the 111 point check! This is on an 08 997.2.

Matt

NLW73 said:
good shout from MC.

I had this on mine, changed the cap and it went. £10 from the OPC. done.

:agree:

Rule of thumb for fuel smells around the car .. a/c on or not ...

Remove filler cap and look at the seal .. if cracked then replace .. if cracking is severe then it will fail an MOT anyways ..

Jack up and remove o/s/f wheel .. remove arch liner .. a few screws and some 10 mm plastic nuts then have a good look / smell around the pipes there .. carbon canister is bolted inside the rear of the wing with a couple of pipes on it , check they are pushed on .

Filler neck is pretty much sealed with a lump of foam .. is this damp at all .. or can you move it at the base .

Electric valve at the top of filler neck , are the pipes secure.

Fuel smell at the rear of the car or possibly underneath .. if strong .. dont drive the car , just get it recovered to a garage .

Fuel smell from oil with cap removed .. normal to a degree .. strong smell and oil level possibly increaseing again dont drive , recover to a garage as probable injector leak.

I had a strong fuel smell. My research pointed me at the minefield that is the vapour recovery system, fuel cap, carbon canister (as Demort said), etc. Actually turned out to be a leak on the high pressure fuel pump - as it happens, unrelated to the known issue with the 997 HP fuel pumps (and the pressures involved do seem incredible to a layman like me).

That was a 997.2, not sure how similar the fuel system is in a 996.

I had a strong fuel smell. My research pointed me at the minefield that is the vapour recovery system, fuel cap, carbon canister (as Demort said), etc. Actually turned out to be a leak on the high pressure fuel pump - as it happens, unrelated to the known issue with the 997 HP fuel pumps (and the pressures involved do seem incredible to a layman like me).

That was a 997.2, not sure how similar the fuel system is in a 996.

I had same issue; replaced cap and checked everywhere else.
Very frustrating
Finally resolved that there was a small air gap where the fuel pump wires come out of the fuel gauge sender on top of the fuel tank (thanks Northway for finding this). Prior owner had tried to bodge a repair.
New sender unit solved this
Good luck

997.2 have a high pressure pump but that was the first model to have one .

Ive changed many over the years .. was a large recall on them on all models but never seen one leaking .. the pressures involved are indeed frightening .. it would cut through steel if in a fine jet .. so a leak would be pretty bad if on the high side .

From memory so not acurate but something like 180 bar .. 2.5k psi .

This has now been resolved by a trip to my local Indy. It turned out to be a hole in the filler neck. Unfortunately the part was quite expensive so the bill was quite a bit more expensive than I was hoping.

Jay Man said:
This has now been resolved by a trip to my local Indy. It turned out to be a hole in the filler neck. Unfortunately the part was quite expensive so the bill was quite a bit more expensive than I was hoping.

Did they give you the old filler neck back? Just wondering where the hole appeared and see if was repairable.

Latest posts

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Camarocane
Back