Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Diesel in a 2 year old M5!

SamUK

My brother bought a 14 plate M5 last week...Still under warranty 

Today was out and about with another guy with a M5 - they filled up from Shell (petrol) - and then realized diesel went into the car.

Both cars died after a little drive, and recovered to BMW! 

Looks like shell put the wrong fuel in the tankers!

Lol I used to work for bp logistics .....it's more comm9n than people realise as lots of room for human error in the process. The operator will be used to dealing with this sort of thing :wink:

I almost bought a 18 month old X5 a few weeks ago for an old customer ( my vet)
When i checked the spec with my Local BMW dealer
there was a warning no warranty claims on drive line without reference to BMW GB
(or words to that effect)

they had voided the warranty on engine gearbox, because it had been filled up with petrol!
be warned

Probably showing my naivety, I thought you couldn't fit a diesel nozzle into a petrol filler...?

Gunner I think you will find that the filling station has diesel in its petrol tank :eek:

Well.. My brother happened to be at a shell where another M5 (red special edition) was who only bought his car yesterday!

The other car left the petrol pump before my brother...and my brother saw it stopped and very soon after he had to pull over..

Shell have been called the pump has been closed off, and they will take 3 weeks to investigate.

Both cars recovered to BMW.

As Mark has already posted, this will likely see the engine and box not covered by the warranty in the future.

She'll or the station will compensate depending on root cause (tanker fill wrong pots, drIver error or petrol station error. Make sure BMW confirm in writing any effect on warranty which will also affect resale value so they get compensated properly.

Personally I would write a nice email to the UK chief executive of shell, will do no harm. Probably logistics error so the sub contractor will face some major kpi penalties and shell should see you right

Ps diesel in a petrol is not as bad as petrol in a diesel :eek:

mzmini said:
Gunner I think you will find that the filling station has diesel in its petrol tank :eek:

Gotcha. :thumb:

jonttt said:
Ps diesel in a petrol is not as bad as petrol in a diesel :eek:

Indeed. I once filled my motorbike up with diesel and my god it ran very rough, cutting out etc. I limped home very puzzled as to what was going on until I realised that the fuel can id filled up from actually had diesel in it rather than petrol. Doh.

I drained the fuel out, replaced it with petrol and had to replace the spark plugs but then it ran perfectly and has done ever since.

car is diagnosed..they said its contaminated fuel.

BMW also said they have never had an issue like this before with a Petrol car, so have to wait for BMW to advise.

They are also sending the fuel for tests etc once they get the sterile cases in...

So will be a big bill - and then needs to be reclaimed back..

i guess he will not be making his trip to the Ring in 2 weeks..

On another note - curtsy car is a brand new 730d (car is awsome)!

Filled my petrol car with derv once. All I did was drain the tank, fill with petrol, then drove it as normal. It smoked a bit for 20 miles, but was fine after that. The BMW dealer will have a field day with attempting to replace just about everything under the bonnet. Do some of your own research, on an M5 forum, and go from there.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
race911turbo
Back