Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Anyone ordered a new 718 Cayman?

Sweet

Monza
As title really, has anyone ordered a new Cayman yet and if so what do people consider to be the must have options?
I've been looking at the configurator and the options I think I would want soon add up and I don't think I'm going silly!
Two big choices for me, manual or PDK and sports chrono?

Hello sweet,
A lot has been said about the new 718s but I suppose we don't really know too much about them because obviously nobody has owned one yet. Tbh, I think people are waiting with baited breath to get some feedback from somebody potentially like yourself.

If you are going for it, then will it be in S format or the base model.
I'd say the S is worth the extra money, as the feedback that I've heard on the base model has not been so encouraging.

What are you in now?

Options wise, I'd want PDK pasm, pse, Bose, extended leather, sport plus with chrono and the pdls lights, which although expensive are really good.
Oh and 20" wheels.

That ought to do it.

OH and a decent discount if you can get one, always with a haggle.

wilpert said:
Hello sweet,
A lot has been said about the new 718s but I suppose we don't really know too much about them because obviously nobody has owned one yet. Tbh, I think people are waiting with baited breath to get some feedback from somebody potentially like yourself.

If you are going for it, then will it be in S format or the base model.
I'd say the S is worth the extra money, as the feedback that I've heard on the base model has not been so encouraging.

What are you in now?

Options wise, I'd want PDK pasm, pse, Bose, extended leather, sport plus with chrono and the pdls lights, which although expensive are really good.
Oh and 20" wheels.

That ought to do it.

Thanks for the input. I would be after the S version.
I forgot about the wheels!! These are are a must have for me along with the painting in Matt black which if I remember correctly comes to about £1500!

I had chosen pretty much what you have said but without the extended leather,Bose and pdls lights and that still came to around 57k.

Do we think discounts will be available then? I was under the impression Porsche don't do discounts!

Sounds like you are pretty much speccing all the fundamentals.

That 57 k is what I paid for my BS but mine is the outgoing 981 model.
I did get a discount of 12% but that was on a forecourt car and I just happened to be happy with the spec and colour combo.

Oh and one more thing, sports seats!

Attachments

• image_941.jpeg
    image_941.jpeg
    48.9 KB · Views: 8,584
wilpert said:
Sounds like you are pretty much speccing all the fundamentals.

That 57 k is what I paid for my BS but mine is the outgoing 981 model.
I did get a discount of 12% but that was on a forecourt car and I just happened to be happy with the spec and colour combo.

Oh and one more thing, sports seats!

You're right, I had included just the 2 way sport plus seats whic were only an extra £550ish!

I must be honest, I'm tempted to go for a manual as when I had the BMW box with paddles I felt a little detached from the driving experience and a drivers car should be a manual should it not???

On the wheels front I assume having them refinished after delivery by someone like Chris at Exel wheels would affect warranty. I would guess will cost a few pennies less than £1500 and maybe allow some extra toys???????

The manual tiptronic debate is one thing but imho the PDK is a different animal and works so well with the sports plus. Then again, I start my journeys in the traffic and do over average mileage so for me PDK is the better option.

I sold my first Cayman s manual and exchanged for a PDK and I preferred the PDK.

RobIpswichUK said:
On the wheels front I assume having them refinished after delivery by someone like Chris at Exel wheels would affect warranty. I would guess will cost a few pennies less than £1500 and maybe allow some extra toys???????

The upgraded 20" wheels were £900 and the painting was £600.
I'm hoping to use it as a bit of a toy so I'm thinking a manual might suit me better.

I've had a set of wheels from Chris, they were fine.
My last cayman had a set of 19s that had been coloured by lepsons, they were really nice for the stealth look as the car was black on black with black wheels.
I found it quite dark though so went for the two tone black with Luxor interior this time, which really brightens it up.

I'd try both the manual and PDK and see what suits.
Don't discount the fun element of the PDK though, it's like 2 cars in one!
Happy hunting and good luck with it.

Thanks for the advice, I might try and take both out in the next few days but I'm not sure what the availability is of demos in my area. :wink:

Well, no new 718 Caymans to drive until September ! Can never order a car without driving it, so it looks like I'll have to wait for while,although I did see a very nice outgoing shape in white with all the kit on! :hand:

Sweet said:
Well, no new 718 Caymans to drive until September ! Can never order a car without driving it, so it looks like I'll have to wait for while,although I did see a very nice outgoing shape in white with all the kit on! :hand:

What about driving a boxster S 718, I dont think they are that different (apart from the obvious of course) - they had a nice one at Porsche centre East London, Im sure they would ship it up to your local Porsche dealership?

I got tempted by the outgoing model, with all the kit on and saved 8k, after a bit of haggling. Was worth it to me and I can be the proud owner of one of the last NA Boxsters :)

wilpert said:
Sweet said:

What about driving a boxster S 718, I dont think they are that different (apart from the obvious of course) - they had a nice one at Porsche centre East London, Im sure they would ship it up to your local Porsche dealership?

I got tempted by the outgoing model, with all the kit on and saved 8k, after a bit of haggling. Was worth it to me and I can be the proud owner of one of the last NA Boxsters :)

You might be right, spent the day looking at the 981 Cayman S and a well
specced one comes in at nearly 10k less than than an average spec 718 S.
Just can't decide on manual or PDK, I think I'm edging toward manual. :D

Sweet said:
wilpert said:
Sweet said:

You might be right, spent the day looking at the 981 Cayman S and a well
specced one comes in at nearly 10k less than than an average spec 718 S.
Just can't decide on manual or PDK, I think I'm edging toward manual. :D

Oooh Im getting excited for you!
TBH, I cant give a bad press against the 718 as /ive seen one but not driven it but if you read the reviews, the 981 seems to get better write ups and is tried and tested.
Obviously your choice will be limited to what is on the forecourt and you could end up with a luxor beige and black two tone interior like I have:) - actually, i liked it as soon as I saw it but I know its a personal thing.

for 57k my spec on the 981 is
PDK - Sports Chrono - PDLS - Sports steering wheel - heated sports plus seats - full two tone leather - BOSE - Cruise - Digital radio - Pcm 3 with phone prep - PASM - PSE - auto dimming mirrors and a few other odd bits that ?i cant remember - OH yes, my missus haggled an umbrella and a couple of key rings
:oops:

Im pretty sure that Porsche East London, had a Cayman s 981 on site but it was yellow 8)

for me it has to be PDK, best of both worlds IMHO, just switch into manual mode and use the paddles. although @ nearly 2k its not a cheap option :?:

wilpert said:
Hello sweet,

Oh and 20" wheels.

That ought to do it.

For me I would go manual, also I wouldn't bother with chrono and i think pse is somewhat of a risk unless you have actually heard it on a 718. I would want a DAB radio. Pdls lights depends somewhat on how much night driving you do, after all you do get xenon as standard. Also to me I think the 19" wheels ride better but the 20s do look nice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stulees65
Back