Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

What gives 981 gts the bit more power

wilpert

Indianapolis
Given that the engine size is same as 3.4s
What has been done to give more power, is it just the mapping of the ecu?

wilpert said:

Yep I expect so, same engine after all, I expect they have tweaked a few other bits to make it feel more responsive too.

;)

:D

pix882 said:
wilpert said:

Yep I expect so, same engine after all, I expect they have tweaked a few other bits to make it feel more responsive too.

;)

You may also find a bigger throttle body and plenum as that seems to be one of Porsches favourite tricks to reduce power so they don't compete with the more expensive versions. I am sure that it's as easy to retro fit on the 981 as it is on the 997 and a remap then you are there. :thumb: :grin:

Phil 997 said:
pix882 said:
wilpert said:

;)

You may also find a bigger throttle body and plenum as that seems to be one of Porsches favourite tricks to reduce power so they don't compete with the more expensive versions. I am sure that it's as easy to retro fit on the 981 as it is on the 997 and a remap then you are there. :thumb: :grin:

tempting but i wouldn't do it, as Im under warranty and Im sure that would invalidate it.

wilpert said:
Phil 997 said:
pix882 said:
wilpert said:

;)

tempting but i wouldn't do it, as Im under warranty and Im sure that would invalidate it.

Agreed, best wait until its out of warranty before starting the performance mods lol but you would be amazed at what a sports exhaust, 200 cell cats , bigger throttle body, plenum, induction kit and a remap would do to the car. totally transforms the car. :thumb: :grin:

I'm not planning on tinkering I was just curious really but I've learned something new today.

I actually wonder if main dealers would spot an ecu remap during a normal service :?:

I reckon they would, not much gets past them. They even knew I had racing brake fluid in a Porsche of mine a few cars back. So a quick plug in with the computers they have run full simulations and diagnostic programs.

It'd be easier getting through customs than an OPC :grin:

I have a BGTS and the exhaust is certainly different, sounds deeper and louder than a S with PSE off or on.

I've often wondered out of curiosity if there are known tuning mods that can be done on 981 models - lots about for 986 and 987. I would have thought tuning firms would have been offering power upgrades by now, or owners would have been posting information of what they've done to increase power. If the car is out of warranty I don't see it matters if the OPC knows what has been done.

Gorsh said:
I have a BGTS and the exhaust is certainly different, sounds deeper and louder than a S with PSE off or on.

I've often wondered out of curiosity if there are known tuning mods that can be done on 981 models - lots about for 986 and 987. I would have thought tuning firms would have been offering power upgrades by now, or owners would have been posting information of what they've done to increase power. If the car is out of warranty I don't see it matters if the OPC knows what has been done.

Hmmm.... well that is quite interesting, if the exhaust is louder even with pse button off, i think I would struggle. I'm sure it sounds fantastic but I already feel that the cabin noise is loud enough for me for daily driving.

Mine is not out of warranty, it's a new car but I was just curious, as the increase is not that much i wondered if it was just an ecu tweak. In fact, I'd have thought if they tweaked ecu plus other things and the exhaust, it would actually produce more than it does over the 3.4S :?:

These are the guys that did my remap and they have a very good rep with Porsche's and all exotics. They look like there offering 30plus BHP with a remap depends on which 981 you have. that's a lot of extra umph mostly in the usable lower mid range of the power curve.

http://www.dmsautomotive.com/performance-upgrades-data.php?make=porsche

As I said further up the thread it's very very noticeable the extra power from a remap. If you don't want more noise then just a remap and sports filter might just do the trick, I would be looking at a bmc sports filter anyway as its only mins to change back for visits to the opc. and even that little thing will surprise you how much better the engine breaths and the car feels more alert.

wilpert said:
Gorsh said:

Hmmm.... well that is quite interesting, if the exhaust is louder even with pse button off, i think I would struggle. I'm sure it sounds fantastic but I already feel that the cabin noise is loud enough for me for daily driving.

Mine is not out of warranty, it's a new car but I was just curious, as the increase is not that much i wondered if it was just an ecu tweak. In fact, I'd have thought if they tweaked ecu plus other things and the exhaust, it would actually produce more than it does over the 3.4S :?:

I too wondered how they differed and got some info on Rennlist, though not really much more than the obvious stuff. The GTS has some kind of tube connecting the engine bay to the cabin (the sound symposer, I think it's called). Not sure if this alone would account for the extra noise as I think they are pretty loud from the outside as well, which could just be the higher engine tune running down the same pipes as the S or different pipes as well. As to the engine mods, the GTS has three radiators at the front. Again I'm not sure if the S has 3 or 2, but either way Porsche clearly reckoned the motor needed a lot of cooling. I've also heard that the suspension calibration on the GTS is bespoke, but I can't recall the source for that snippet. Given the supply of GTS models was quite limited, this may in part have been due to the factory having to preorder the parts to 'guesstimated' levels and in effect setting the maximum supply.

Anyhow, I'd love to know the definitive list of parts that actually differ between the 981 variants - perhaps there is a version of the PET catalogue which covers this model? :dont know:

All the best

PS not read much from you Gorsh since taking delivery... How are you getting on with the car?

I think on Rennlist they checked the PET and the cam and heads were the same, I believe they reckoned the ECU had been tweaked and the throttle body was larger.

There is a chap in Germany I think who remaps 981's with a change of exhaust/filter and throttle body and gets quite impressive results.

In the States I think they try overlapping the ECU with the standard 991 map.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lb456
Back