Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

GT3 Cat D

veearrsix

I went to view this today http://www4.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201606094745957 and had actually struck a deal with the seller. I was funding the purchase with a deposit from a house sale that fell through, but unexpectedly I've made another offer on a house today that has been accepted, therefore I've had to withdraw from the purchase.

I thought I would mention it here in case anyone else might be interested in it. I had a good nosey around and I couldn't spot where the damage had been, apparently it had been repaired by porsche torque from uxbridge. The seller is happy to have it inspected, so I don't think he is hiding anything.

The things I picked up on, the lower front valance is pretty abused, the front tyres need replacing, the brake discs don't have any cracks, but could do with skimming, the drivers seat bolster is worn more than I would have expected and the alcantara on the steering wheel and gearstick needs retrimming.

Anyway, just wanted to mention it in case anyone wanted a GT3 to drive rather than stick in the garage and polish. If I could shift my 996tt and find another 15k I'd be having it myself =(

I seem to recollect a similar car being discussed on here a couple of years ago?

Porsche News said:
it was repaired outside the UK, it was serviced by Porsche Torque

it hasn't sold for a few years for a reason
It sounds like you know more. Care to share?

MC

Porsche News said:
it was repaired outside the UK, it was serviced by Porsche Torque

it hasn't sold for a few years for a reason

I was dreaming about GT2s and GT3's before buying a turbo early last year. When that car came up it was in the same price range as a manual turbo so it obviously caught my attention. It disappeared so thought it had sold.
He was asking more for it then so at least the price has come down and perhaps there is a deal to be done.

I seem to recall it had a fairly big one on track. there were some pictures floating around of it pre accident and post

as long as its been repaired well and you know what you are getting and not being sold a 'minter' then why not.

the price reflects this of course.

get it up in the air at somewhere like JZ or 9e depending on where you are and check for Jig marks and structural damage. I would also get the frunk open and start pulling off rubber and plastic trim. you can then see what has been damaged if it was a front ender.

If it drives straight then its priced ok for a track slag.

The GT3 marque seems to be characterised by small numbers and a passionate following that gives insights into those cars that come up for sale. Anyone contemplating buying this one would (as suggested) be well advised to have it inspected for evidence of a full and proper repair - even if its going to be a 'track slag' becasue the problem comes when its time to sell it on.

There must be numerous examples of GT3 and other track cars out there that have become damaged on track and owing to the high excess payments may not have been reported to the insurer (HPI Clear) and paid for out-of-pocket to a budget repair.

I looked at buying this vehicle a few years ago, £38k was the agreed price I recall.
The owner (west London somewhere?) said he was happy for an inspection but when it came down to it was very uninspired to get the vehicle to JZM...

I pulled out and bought a Cayman R instead.

When I looked around the car, the only panels Not painted was the roof, one rear quarter and the drivers door!

Needed clutch, as very high and brakes were just as bad back then.

Like a patchwork quilt then - some new panels, some repaired, some new parts, some used parts from dismantlers.

The issue is always going to be come selling time. Cant think a dealer will ever take it in and sell it and a private sale likelihood gets thinner and thinner.

At £38k, I was looking to spend £12k on -

£5k repaint in Maratime blue - full, with engine out (good friend owns paintshop)
£3k suspension upgrade
£2k on bucket seats
£2-4K on bits and pieces

I thought a £50k for a unique GT3 would of been fun.. But without a full PPI from JZM I was not spending that kind of money.

Been for sale for ages.

Can see from the low res pictures it was a front end job

CB: I'm curious to learn. How can you see from the photos it seems to have been a front end job? I'm genuinely interested to understand how to spot track car damage that has been repaired. I thought typical track collisions would be side-on and rear three quarters from spinning into the barrier?

EDIT: If you prefer to PM me, I'm fine with that. Just realised after posting this that a PM may be more appropriate. I do want to learn and understand how to spot a track wreck thats been put back on the road.

you have to get under the car and in the car as such for front enders. you can look at the front where it meets the chassis etc.

lift the bonnet to check the match of the wings to the chassis and if new paint/bolts are there.

also lift up the carpets and rubbers in the 'frunk' to see if anything is not OEM under there3, any additional welding or signs of change.

its hard to see if its had real structural damage from just standing in front of it. the front bumpers always get blasted as they are so low etc and many have been re painted.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qdunrpvcxsty
Back