Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Difference's, X74 -30mm suspension and standard ride height

infrasilver

I have replaced all the suspension parts that were worn and also upgraded to some Bilstein B6 struts all round. I had my geometry re-set this morning and the guy mentioned he'd run out of adjustment on the rear to get it to X74 spec. I've had it mentioned before that it won't adjust all the way but it does handle pretty good in its current setting but I assume it will be better if I can get it correct. I'm think it was more negative camber he was trying get?
I would get down to CG but I know how booked up they get and it's something I want sorting ASAP.

I know the X74 is -30mm lower than standard but I assumed this was just down to shocks and springs, are there other parts that were different that will allow me to get the exact X74 set up I'm after? I may be disappointed once it does but I would like to try and I may save going through two sets of rear tyres a year.

That makes a bit more sense, getting the adjustable toe arms. I was looking at them before I poly bushed mine last week but it may be worth just selling on my poly bushed ones as the price I will get would almost pay for some rose jointed arms and it'll look cool 8)

I'll have a read of your thread Chris when I get a minute.

I've had a read through your thread and now I'm wondering if the cost difference was worth making your own unless the Motorsport parts weren't too eye watering. There are sets available including the chamfered outer end stud for around £400, obviously I would rather have the same results for less cost.

I had the car on track at Croft yesterday (with crap set up) and it felt good but I still would like to be able to adjust it to correct spec.

Anyway I've just started thinking out the box and wondered if the chamfer for the front track rod end ball joint of the steering rack are the same as the toe arm outer, if so this would be easy to have the inner end made up with a threaded bar and rose joint.

Thoughts?

Same taper Chris.

I nearly went that route but didn't - cant for the life of me remember why?.

EDIT - It was due to needing a piece of stud with opposing threads at each end to facilitate adjustment (I think)......

infrasilver said:
I found these while researching, I'm just not sure what thread I'll need?

I assumed McGill MS would have sold them but there was nothing on their website.

I will ask McGill later this week as I will be going to see them about some parts anyway.

neil allan said:
infrasilver said:
I found these while researching, I'm just not sure what thread I'll need?

I assumed McGill MS would have sold them but there was nothing on their website.

I will ask McGill later this week as I will be going to see them about some parts anyway.

Cool, although I've had a look on their site they don't seem to do male threaded Jackscrews and the only ones I can find online are not metric threads only UNF. Mmmm not sure if I have hit a dead end like Chris had, although I'm thinking of getting some made up. I'm sure this is something that Alex could make.

I've got a spare toe arm on the bench and I'll wait until the track rod arrives then take some measurements for length.

coullstar said:
Rose jointed ends wear quickly do they not?

Fine for limited mileage/smooth track work but on road cars maybe not the best application.

If you get decent teflon lined one's they last pretty well - they are fairly cheap to replace TBH.

Just been having a look myself Chris. There may be some 'off the shelf' ones you can get which will obviously be cheaper than me making some custom made ones for you. Not a problem if you need me to though and I should have them turned round and down with you within a few days.

These Moog ones are M14 x 1.5 on either end and I can only presume they are LH & RH as they're an adjuster rod:

http://www.moog-suspension-parts.com/moog-es458s

Might struggle getting them in the UK though.

When I started to try and sort this, one other issue I had was getting a short enough 'turnbuckle' to connect the track rod end to the rose joint McG Motorsport only have a 165mm as their shortest one and I seem to remember that adding this to the rod length and rose joint plus a couple of half nuts was too long. Maybe I didn't look hard enough but it was frustrating to the point I bought the motorsport parts.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JLav211
Back