Porsche 911 UK Enthusiasts Online Community Discussion Forum GB

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Scotland NC500 Road Trip and More

Wav

Silverstone
Hi Guys,

Got back last week, but only just got around to downloading the photos. Spent a week travelling around Scotland in the C4S, including the North Coast 500 route, was a fantastic trip with great weather, amazing scenery, awesome roads and the best car for the trip (I believe anyway). The car did not miss a beat and was perfect for the drive up, managed 31mpg (on screen, more like 29.7mpg) with bikes on the roof and was still awesome on the open roads (bikes left in Peebles at a B&B). The chassis is sublime and rides through rough roads like they are nothing, yet gives great feedback and of course feels like a proper sports car. Performance was more than adequate and I never wanted more for overtaking and powering out of the twisty stuff. Actually I'm now struggling to think of what car can compete with it, especially with the added practicality of back seat storage, the economy and the awesome noise the exhaust/engine makes. We travelled 1735 miles in total and even my wife loved driving the car by the end, she usually only enjoys driving her mini.

So here are some pics:

27581934845_f529c1e64c_b.jpg

On the way up, with bikes in tow :thumb:

27509232231_a488eb1113_b.jpg

Spittal of Glenshee on the old Military Road (A93)

27547804996_964f8f6d25_b.jpg

Jo driving on the single track road to Tommy-O-Tool (no idea how to actually say it/spell it)

27547806186_a80143de01_b.jpg

Me at the beginning of the Applecross 'Path of the Cattle'

27581939295_b1ec8509ec_b.jpg

26973262373_43365d0abf_b.jpg

My favourite pic, on the Applecross Pass looking across to the Isle of Skye

27547811056_0ab77993fc_b.jpg

On the beach at Applecross chilling :)

27581952735_f6dabe30e6_b.jpg

Obligatory bridge pic on the NC500

27547849186_d763b7d4aa_b.jpg

We also called in at Keswick for the beer festival on the way back :bandit:

It was a fantastic trip, although some of the roads right at the top of Scotland on the NC500 are single track with lots of bikers and camper vans coming the other way, and although the scenery is fantastic there are much great driving roads if you stick more in land.

Paul

Looks like a great trip in a great car.

I want to do John o greats this year

Excellent - am planning similar trip mid-july with wife. Roads look alarmingly busy according to Google Street view, so this is great help. Wasn't even aware of the NC500!

Brilliant - really good pictures - makes me want to just "go somewhere" :worship:

Great pics, NC500 defo on the to do list :thumb:

stevepen said:

To be honest, its overated, we went up there as we were in Inverness but its about the one trip out we did i'd not repeat

26895244814_5df00cbd93_k.jpg

coullstar said:
It's ace isn't it.

It's Tomintoul by the way (Tom-in-towel).

Thanks for that, I like Tom-in-Towel even better :thumb:

Paul

Richspec said:
stevepen said:

To be honest, its overated, we went up there as we were in Inverness but its about the one trip out we did i'd not repeat

26895244814_5df00cbd93_k.jpg

The East Coast is definitely not as epic as the West Coast and John o'groats is nothing special, but there are lots of great roads inland around this area - if driving is the aim of the game.

Paul

Avon said:
Excellent - am planning similar trip mid-july with wife. Roads look alarmingly busy according to Google Street view, so this is great help. Wasn't even aware of the NC500!

Once you go North of Inverness the roads get a lot quieter, but some of the roads get a lot narrower too :wink:

Paul

Looks like a great trip mate, planning to do it myself sometime next year so will have to catch up on it over a burger and a beer next time your down this way

Wav said:
Richspec said:
stevepen said:

The East Coast is definitely not as epic as the West Coast and John o'groats is nothing special, but there are lots of great roads inland around this area - if driving is the aim of the game.

Paul

Agreed, we preferred the West, especially Applecross!

stevepen said:

John o groats itself is a bit of an anti climax after the amazing roads and scenery getting there. I spent a week in April on tour in Scotland with some mates and would highly recommend driving in Scotland anywhere north of Inverness.

Attachments

• image_262.jpeg
    image_262.jpeg
    648.9 KB · Views: 10,145
  • image_879.jpeg
    image_879.jpeg
    672.2 KB · Views: 10,145
  • image_584.jpeg
    image_584.jpeg
    678.4 KB · Views: 10,145
  • image_825.jpeg
    image_825.jpeg
    673.3 KB · Views: 10,145
  • image_808.jpeg
    image_808.jpeg
    678.3 KB · Views: 10,145
Agreed.. It's a fantastic trip / tour and we can't wait to go back...
We went 3/4/5 June 2016..
We strarted off in Edinburgh,drove up to Inverness via the Cairngorms and the Old Military Road,then we headed West across to Applecross and done the NC500 that way round.. Hardly any traffic,brilliant weather,amazing scenery and some just awesome roads including the single track 1's..

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Autocraft1
Back