Porsche 911UK Forum

Welcome to the @Porsche911UK website. Register a free account today to become a member! Sign up is quick and easy, then you can view, participate in topics and posts across the site that covers all things Porsche.

Already registered and looking to recovery your account, select 'login in' and then the 'forget your password' option.

Effective tyre black?

Citori

I love my Good Year tyres on my car. great wet and dry grip, good size rim protection and at very competitive price, here's the but:
They seem to go brown looking very quickly and no amount of cleaning seems to do the trick. I have tried a couple of tyre dressers but nothing seems to last.
Any suggestions please on a good value tyre black that works.
Not after the false looking glossy type, just a nice decent black.
ATB.

I use the Meguiars product - sparingly and not very often. Works fine.

Make sure tyres are clean using a good all purpose cleaner that strips off the oily road grime.

Allow to dry.

Use Turtle Wax Bumper & Tyre Gel from Halfords etc. Approx £7.49. Dark red bottle.

Apply with a sponge, cover well but not OTT, work into all nooks and crannies.

Leave ideally overnight.

I have found it lasts well for 150 motorway miles in the dry. Its what I use on all customer cars. I'v etried expensive stuff, tried special products, this is my preference and does not fling and when 'dry' leaves a nice satin gloss over out and out gloss gloss.

Believe it or not but black shoe polish takes some beating. It is good at preventing cracks etc and looks good.

Try it before you laugh at me!

cheshire911 said:

+1 ..... And minimal fling!

jezgreen911 said:
Seventy Seven said:
cheshire911 said:

+1 ..... And minimal fling!

Same here :thumb:

+2 I've tried a bunch and this works well. I tend to let it dry and then buff it slightly as it can be a bit glossy.

I`m with Chris the turtle wax gel in the red bottle is the best I`ve used

Gazc2 said:
I`m with Chris the turtle wax gel in the red bottle is the best I`ve used

Same here, use it the way Chris suggests and it's a subtle sheen and no flinging onto the paintwork.

GTechniq T1 Tyre & Trim gives a nice matt finish, does not fling and lasts up well between washes. :thumb:

I've tried loads over the years, and the one I keep coming back to is Autoglym instant tyre dressing !

OK so it's not very rain & wash proof, but for me it's the ease off application ( all 4 wheels in under 5mins), dries fast, no fling and leaves a nice semi matt appearance
and its regularly on 3 for 2 :)

Gtechniq T1 and Dodo juice Tyromania both give a new tyre, no bling, long lasting finish.

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hobie1
Back